New Systems/ Weapons/ Blocks that do things (non-hull)

Do you think thease will improved the game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Actually, I think turrets look awesome, and I do build non-star trek ships, and they look great on them. But they don't look great on star trek ships, and as this IS a space game, there's going to be trekkies playing it, whether you like it or not, so I think FOR the trekkies it would be nice to have a weapon that looks correct on star trek ships. Besides I made this post so that people can post their ideas here, hence it being called "New systems/ Weapons/ Blocks that do stuff" looks are important, but any way, there is no weapons system that can stand up to the turret, which doesn't matter if you all have turrets, but like I said there are styles of ships that don't look good with turrets. P.S just make the Phasers the same amount of power as AMC's, then it's already balenced
    But with the way weapons work... turrets can be scaled easily... your phasers... can't...

Reaction score
    But with the way weapons work... turrets can be scaled easily... your phasers... can't...
    yes they can be, you just gave more power for more blocks, and the blocks have to be on the outside of a ship's hull

Reaction score
    i like the facion part. It would be nice if you can select a colour for your faction (perhaps also a trim colour) like black, and your guns would have black beams. the crest is also nice. The rest sounds rather lame, but it could still be a nice idea

Reaction score
    i like the facion part. It would be nice if you can select a colour for your faction (perhaps also a trim colour) like black, and your guns would have black beams. the crest is also nice. The rest sounds rather lame, but it could still be a nice idea
    yeah, I thought the factions might be better liked than the Phasers.. But meh

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    yes they can be, you just gave more power for more blocks, and the blocks have to be on the outside of a ship's hull
    How would you make them more powerful? burying them inside the ship? How would they be destroyed? If they can't be destroyed they would have to be much weaker than turrets... Why would you use them if that is the case?

Reaction score
    How would you make them more powerful? burying them inside the ship? How would they be destroyed? If they can't be destroyed they would have to be much weaker than turrets... Why would you use them if that is the case?
    If you'd understood you'd know that I meant, you have to put them on the OUTSIDE of your hull or they don't work, and they don't have the shielding of the ship, like turrets (except their not a separate entity and can't be shielded)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If you'd understood you'd know that I meant, you have to put them on the OUTSIDE of your hull or they don't work, and they don't have the shielding of the ship, like turrets (except their not a separate entity and can't be shielded)
    Then they would have to be more powerful... why would I use anything else?

Reaction score
    Then they would have to be more powerful... why would I use anything else?
    that's like saying "why would I use anything other than AMC's and turrets?" Because SD-BB's look cool and have a different function to missiles, so AMC's are good for cutting through hull, SD-BB's are good for blowing large sections of hull up, then Phasers could be good for taking down shields.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    that's like saying "why would I use anything other than AMC's and turrets?" Because SD-BB's look cool and have a different function to missiles, so AMC's are good for cutting through hull, SD-BB's are good for blowing large sections of hull up, then Phasers could be good for taking down shields.
    Now you are thinking balance... do not start with looks... always start with, what will this block do, what are it's perks, and why would I not use it. That is how you structure a suggestion.... Actually, I am going to make a thread like that...

Reaction score
    Now you are thinking balance... do not start with looks... always start with, what will this block do, what are it's perks, and why would I not use it. That is how you structure a suggestion.... Actually, I am going to make a thread like that...
    Considering the point of my idea was to make something that "Looks cool" the idea was that you could have a turret like beam weapon, that looks cool. I was going to leave the balancing and figuring how to make it work to people who know how to do that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Considering the point of my idea was to make something that "Looks cool" the idea was that you could have a turret like beam weapon, that looks cool. I was going to leave the balancing and figuring how to make it work to people who know how to do that.
    Balance is the most important part... You shouldn't post a suggestion without some idea of how to balance it. Right now the only thing that balances it is the lack of shields(thanks to how the damage system works)... what is to stop me from putting it inside my ship?

here are some links that explains the basic(and not so basic) ideas of balance:
    http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27041/game-balance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_(game_design)
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134768/understanding_balance_in_video_.php
    http://gamebalanceconcepts.wordpress.com/

There ya go!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Make things look pretty? Really? You want to add new weapons... when you don't mess around with weapons? I can see the value of wanting to make things look nice... but your idea of nice seems to be rather star trek oriented instead of a general "this looks cool" kind of way... I think that turrets can look cool, you don't and that's your opinion... but wanting a new weapon type that will be a pain in the ass to balance...
    I "mess around" with weapons, but usually resort to using smaller ships with forward AMCs, because I hate the look that having tons of turrets gives a ship. His suggestion (or mine, I guess) provides an alternative, which would look cool on extremely futuristic ships, as well as for an awesome anti-personnel defense system on a smaller scale. Turrets look good for some things, but they shouldn't be the end-all, be-all of 360-degree weaponry.

...As of balancing, I suggest that, under the actual strips of Beam Emitter Blocks on the outside of the ship, there need to be Beam Reactor/Beam Enhancer blocks linked to the computer, which would work approximately like weapon grouping bonuses now... the more of 'em you have, the higher damage you have, but the more power the system munches through per pulse.

Reaction score
    Balance is the most important part... You shouldn't post a suggestion without some idea of how to balance it. Right now the only thing that balances it is the lack of shields(thanks to how the damage system works)... what is to stop me from putting it inside my ship?

here are some links that explains the basic(and not so basic) ideas of balance:
    http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27041/game-balance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_(game_design)
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134768/understanding_balance_in_video_.php
    http://gamebalanceconcepts.wordpress.com/

There ya go!
    T_T the idea is YOU CAN'T SHOOT THROUGH YOUR OWN HULL, then you have to have it on the outside, and you can't pick an output block, as the block that emits is the one closest to the enemy ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm going to say this again: remove the half-block gap for docked ships. Give fixed-docked AI ships a "virtual rotation" that limits how fast they can adjust their aiming point. There you go. Turret effects, no turret aesthetics.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    T_T the idea is YOU CAN'T SHOOT THROUGH YOUR OWN HULL, then you have to have it on the outside, and you can't pick an output block, as the block that emits is the one closest to the enemy ship
    But it would, and can. Thanks to the way starmade works...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I "mess around" with weapons, but usually resort to using smaller ships with forward AMCs, because I hate the look that having tons of turrets gives a ship. His suggestion (or mine, I guess) provides an alternative, which would look cool on extremely futuristic ships, as well as for an awesome anti-personnel defense system on a smaller scale. Turrets look good for some things, but they shouldn't be the end-all, be-all of 360-degree weaponry.

...As of balancing, I suggest that, under the actual strips of Beam Emitter Blocks on the outside of the ship, there need to be Beam Reactor/Beam Enhancer blocks linked to the computer, which would work approximately like weapon grouping bonuses now... the more of 'em you have, the higher damage you have, but the more power the system munches through per pulse.

Make it so that you need them to be on the outside of hull... if you can think of a way to do that, while still having it look nice, you will have me convinced.

Reaction score
    I'm going to say this again: remove the half-block gap for docked ships. Give fixed-docked AI ships a "virtual rotation" that limits how fast they can adjust their aiming point. There you go. Turret effects, no turret aesthetics.
    No, the reason turrets don't look nice is as they stick out of the hull, not that they tilt and don't go flush with the hull.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, the reason turrets don't look nice is as they stick out of the hull, not that they tilt and don't go flush with the hull.
    That's why you would put them in pits on your hull. It would look like part of your ship and possibly be better protected, but have a smaller firing arc than a turret.