New Systems/ Weapons/ Blocks that do things (non-hull)

Do you think thease will improved the game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Now before people complain, yes I'm a Trekkie, Yes this is all because I want my ships to be cooler, but I also think that these things I'm about to suggest are really good ideas to improve the different types of ships and RP you get. For example I think a Phaser array would be a great substitute for Turrets, as nothing can really match the fire power of turrets, therefore all your ships need turrets, which with your sleeker ships *cough* Star Trek *cough* ruins the line of the ship, and is generally a bit ugly if its effective. However if you had a Phaser array, that consists of a row of Phaser Array Blocks down the side/bottom/top/back/front of your ship, when you press F on a target and click (to prevent annoying selected target issues like with turrets when your just seeing who it is) the closest block on the array will emit a beam that shoots at the enemy's core until you let go (you could be able to choose the colour of the beam) this way you don't need to be pointing at the enemy ship (obviously you couldn't shoot through your hull) and you have a system as powerful as turrets, but not obtrusive or OP, on top of all this a way for targeting different things to the enemy's core, could be that you have a menu that selects what to target. For example: Aim for?: A: Weapons Computer(1,2,3) B: Missile Computer(1,2,3) C: Ship Core. or another way of targeting could be right clicking on an opponents hull where you want to aim, but this may be difficult in the heat of battle, so maybe not. So, that's my Phaser Array idea, I hope it's liked, and used.

Another idea I have to improve Faction Systems, is where a faction founder can pick a Faction colour (not the same as another's on that server) and that colour then shows up as the Faction members weapons colour (all Missiles/AMC's/Beams) and as a Hull Block in the shop (called Faction Hull) and possibly, as an extension to this, you could have a faction leader build a Crest/Logo that is a "Pixel art" of some sort that they can then set as a logo that can be placed on the side of ships (as smaller ships can't have hull art) Again another idea I hope is liked and used.

3 words: Plex door slopes

3 more words: Coloured Plex door

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Actually for those that didn't play STO, star trek universe has several types of energy beam array weapons. Also phasers come in cannon and turret models. Please no comments on what is and isn't Star Trekkie canon, those arguments are always unending. I'm using these as example to make a point that we could just as easily have a beam array antimatter weapon, or a just a laser beam, or some other type of beam weapon.

What the OP is really suggesting here is a instant hit, perfect accuracy weapon, with 270 degree cone of fire. Normally these would be balanced to favour accuracy over damage, allowing for an extermely low damage continuous rate of fire.

If salvage cannons actually scaled in a sane manor and harmed shields, they would be the equal to a beam array.

Reaction score
    well phasers would be optimal for taking down shields, and I play STO too, didn't even think of that, good idea!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The new beam weapons are hitscan weapons. They will most likely fire at the cursor like all other weapon types. This seems to be extremely similar to OP's post.
    However, the OP adds auto-targeting (which turrets do have) inside the shields of your ubership. That would be rather overpowered.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    if your saying that "phaser lock on" would be OP (I don't really understand your comment Itmauve) but they wouldn't be as you just have a chance of the Phaser missing (and you could have a way of firing via mouse control so you can shoot into space) this would make it less OP, but still equal to turrets, as turrets sometimes miss.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The new beam weapons are hitscan weapons. They will most likely fire at the cursor like all other weapon types. This seems to be extremely similar to OP's post.
    However, the OP adds auto-targeting (which turrets do have) inside the shields of your ubership. That would be rather overpowered.
    Depends on damage of these auto-targeting weapons.
    Why not just make AI-turrets docked as ships to not interrupt your look&feel?
    They could also work as reactors for your thrusters while you not fire - with integrated power tanks to make the huge weapons fire + integrated shielding for turrets anyway now also covering reactors as a side-effect.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    My point was that while turrets are crazy-accurate and would be extremely annoying with hitscans, they are still dependent on external shields to survive combat, which makes them vulnerable.

Reaction score
    My point was that while turrets are crazy-accurate and would be extremely annoying with hitscans, they are still dependent on external shields to survive combat, which makes them vulnerable.
    yes they are vulnerable I suppose, but you could make it so that Phaser arrays can not be protected by the shields, even though they are part of the same entity, that way they wouldn't be so OP

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Shems already has weapon upgrade planned, I do realize what you talking about, what"s required is a rail system for Phasers that attaches to blocks, so you can shape the movement and direction of fire rather than a stationary block, like in the mining laser . Yes they have this in our world for most of the CNC machines have this and programs already for x,y,z and other math related angles, would also need a track block entrance that allows the weapon unit to go inside the ship- it's own blast door neatly tucks away, without the gaping hole. Could also be allowed to run inside the ship for security and pass out the other side of a ship, going to need it's own space to operate in a dedicated track route so its part of the build not some half ass build job of add on to a cheap grief ship made from dirt.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    "Phaser" (Automatic Laser Defense System, I guess. ALaDeS? Or just Autolasers?) strips would be really nice as an alternative to turrets, which IMO shouldn't be able to have beams. (They just aim too darn well.) They would be just like normal lasers, including the ability to enhance them with slave systems, but they auto-fire at anything in their line of sight (Or targeted, configurable in structure menu), and would have about a 10-20% chance of missing. They would also use significantly more power than standard lasers. Sniper autolasers, consisting of an autolaser with a normal laser array as a slave system, would have less chance to miss, but be weaker, and Charge Autolasers would be stronger but have less DPS because of their nature as a burst rather than constant weapon. A Massive Charge ALaDeS array that only has a few minelayers for its slave system would be roughly equivalent to the Star Trek Phasers that Legoassassin wants to emulate. They would fire pulses for a while then have to recharge, then rinse and repeat.

EDIT: Waitasec, lasers are already planned to pulse rather than visually fire a constant beam? Oh.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    "Phaser" (Automatic Laser Defense System, I guess. ALaDeS? Or just Autolasers?) strips would be really nice as an alternative to turrets, which IMO shouldn't be able to have beams. (They just aim too darn well.) They would be just like normal lasers, including the ability to enhance them with slave systems, but they auto-fire at anything in their line of sight (Or targeted, configurable in structure menu), and would have about a 10-20% chance of missing. They would also use significantly more power than standard lasers. Sniper autolasers, consisting of an autolaser with a normal laser array as a slave system, would have less chance to miss, but be weaker, and Charge Autolasers would be stronger but have less DPS because of their nature as a burst rather than constant weapon. A Massive Charge ALaDeS array that only has a few minelayers for its slave system would be roughly equivalent to the Star Trek Phasers that Legoassassin wants to emulate. They would fire pulses for a while then have to recharge, then rinse and repeat.

EDIT: Waitasec, lasers are already planned to pulse rather than visually fire a constant beam? Oh.
    Well you certainly know allot about the new weapons systems (I'm clueless) and your the first to explain it in a way I understand :/ but I see what your saying, that It wouldn't be a Star Trek Phaser, but using the slave system, you could make it very much like one, I think that's exactly what SM needs, A substitute for turrets!, well done on the idea, really improves mine :)

Reaction score
    Shems already has weapon upgrade planned, I do realize what you talking about, what"s required is a rail system for Phasers that attaches to blocks, so you can shape the movement and direction of fire rather than a stationary block, like in the mining laser . Yes they have this in our world for most of the CNC machines have this and programs already for x,y,z and other math related angles, would also need a track block entrance that allows the weapon unit to go inside the ship- it's own blast door neatly tucks away, without the gaping hole. Could also be allowed to run inside the ship for security and pass out the other side of a ship, going to need it's own space to operate in a dedicated track route so its part of the build not some half ass build job of add on to a cheap grief ship made from dirt.
    I prefer Ithirhad's idea, sorry. But still interesting

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd rather have beam weapons act like other weapons in that you need to put them in less-shielded turrets rather than in the hull of your ubership. Turrets with cannons are already kind of OP. Rotation speed of turrets needs to be nerfed, and off-axis firing should be banned. That will go a long way towards making both laser and cannon turrets less OP.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    I'd rather have beam weapons act like other weapons in that you need to put them in less-shielded turrets rather than in the hull of your ubership. Turrets with cannons are already kind of OP. Rotation speed of turrets needs to be nerfed, and off-axis firing should be banned. That will go a long way towards making both laser and cannon turrets less OP.
    have to admit, don't agree with any of that, probably because I play the game as a "make things look pretty" way- plus the whole point of this was to remove the eye sore of turrets (you could have its so that the block just cant be shielded- but is still part of the same entity)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe it would be possible to use a standard docked ship. Assuming they get rid of the annoying half-block gap, you could make it look seamless.

To balance it, a "virtual rotation" would be added. This would be a tracking of the aim of the "turret" to prevent it from aiming too far to the sides or tracking too fast.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    have to admit, don't agree with any of that, probably because I play the game as a "make things look pretty" way- plus the whole point of this was to remove the eyesore of turrets (you could have its so that the block just cant be shielded- but is still part of the same entity)
    Make things look pretty? Really? You want to add new weapons... when you don't mess around with weapons? I can see the value of wanting to make things look nice... but your idea of nice seems to be rather star trek oriented instead of a general "this looks cool" kind of way... I think that turrets can look cool, you don't and that's your opinion... but wanting a new weapon type that will be a pain in the ass to balance...

Reaction score
    Make things look pretty? Really? You want to add new weapons... when you don't mess around with weapons? I can see the value of wanting to make things look nice... but your idea of nice seems to be rather star trek oriented instead of a general "this looks cool" kind of way... I think that turrets can look cool, you don't and that's your opinion... but wanting a new weapon type that will be a pain in the ass to balance...
    Actually, I think turrets look awesome, and I do build non-star trek ships, and they look great on them. But they don't look great on star trek ships, and as this IS a space game, there's going to be trekkies playing it, whether you like it or not, so I think FOR the trekkies it would be nice to have a weapon that looks correct on star trek ships. Besides I made this post so that people can post their ideas here, hence it being called "New systems/ Weapons/ Blocks that do stuff" looks are important, but any way, there is no weapons system that can stand up to the turret, which doesn't matter if you all have turrets, but like I said there are styles of ships that don't look good with turrets. P.S just make the Phasers the same amount of power as AMC's, then it's already balenced

Reactions: NeonSturm