New /system_chmod Command needed for Fog of War + new /sector_chmod options.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    With the new fog of war, it seems that we could use some new chmod settings.

Here's a list of a few I think would be pertinent for a new "/system_chmod" command:

+ RevealFogOfWar - This makes the system visible to everyone from the start, no scanning needed. I can see admins wanting to make the home system visible to new players.
    - RevealFogOfWar - This removes the visibility for that system, and reverts back to the default, thus players would need to scan or visit enough sectors to reveal system on their maps.
    + ScanRevealsFogOfWar - This allows a player to use a scan to reveal a system. This is the default behavior.
    - ScanRevealsFogOfWar - This takes away the ability of a player to use a scan to reveal the fog of war in a system.
    + VisitsRevealFogOfWar [number - optional]- This allows visiting sectors in a system to reveal it, removing the fog of war. This is the default behavior. However, if a number is specified, then this changes how many sectors must be visited for that system before it will be revealed.
    - VisitsRevealFogOfWar - This makes it so visiting sectors in a system will not reveal the fog of war. Only a scan will, that is unless ScanFogOfWar is also turned off.

An example of use: On one server, there could be "badlands" areas where no player can reveal the systems. The server owners place special bases and pirates in these areas, as well as have quests and such, where they give players clues as to locations of where things might be. They have the system_chmod of these systems set to OFF for "VisitsRevealFogOfWar" and "ScanRevealsFogOfWar."

There could also be other modifiers for /system_chmod, of course, but for the scope of this suggestion, I'll leave these suggestions out.

For /sector_chmod, I'd recommend the same as above, but the setting would be specific to that sector. Though I know this may be difficult to implement, since it seems the fog-of-war functionality goes by systems. But I would like to be able to turn fog of war on or off for specific sectors because I have a quest engine that creates instanced quests for players, and I need this kind of precision. There will also soon be an event engine, and I'd like to be able to control individual sectors within the known galaxy. For example, we may have an event where players must go to a sector and find a base to explore, kill some pirate astronauts, and loot a storage. I wouldn't want them to be able to see that there is a base at the location. I also may want to have secrets in sectors nearby for those players that scour the whole area.

There could also be a few additional chmod's for the sector, including:
    + CountsTowardFogOfWar (number - optional)- This would make the sector count toward the 15 (default) needed to reveal a system. This is the default setting. However, if a number is provided, then visiting that sector will count as that many sectors. For example, perhaps one sector is set to 15, thus visiting that single sector will reveal the whole system.
    - CountsTowardFogOfWar - This would make a sector NOT count toward revealing a system.

Well, I think that should be good for now. If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post and add them. :) Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I like all of these besides counts towards fog of war, and the only reason I wouldn't include that one is its a bit more complicated to add to the code.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like all of these besides counts towards fog of war, and the only reason I wouldn't include that one is its a bit more complicated to add to the code.
    Well, they already have a variable somewhere that marks the sector as visited or not, right? I don't know if it would be as complicated as you might think. The difference would just be that the sector has another possible setting, which would be the number of how many sectors it counts as. Then when a player visits the sector, it uses a command that gets that number and then modifies the system total by that number till "the big reveal." If it's set to 0, then no change occurs. If set to 1 or above, then it does that change, and marks the sector visited (which it seems to do now already, right?).

I think implementing the /system_chmod command itself would be the harder part, but that doesn't mean it couldn't or shouldn't be done, right?

Last edited: