New server mode: Galactic Conquest

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Over and over again, I hear from players who want to participate in PvP but find the actual need for PvP to be really low. There's no benefit to it. Since this game is still in Alpha, that makes me wonder how much actual testing PvP gets. Probably not much. So this idea has a twofold purpose: 1) To give PvP a purpose and open up that side of the game to more players, and 2) Since PvP will get more use, Schine can get more testing out of us and more feedback for when they decide to balance it.

This is a separate game mode I'm calling Galactic Conquest, configurable in the server's CFG file. When set, the universe becomes limited to a single galaxy. Gameplay ends and a faction is declared the winner once they've claimed and defended a certain percentage of the galaxy, which is configurable.

So at the start, players will have to join up to form factions, gather resources, design and stockpile ships and fleets, and scout the galaxy, claiming systems as they go. If, for example, the win percentage is 50%, once the faction has claimed 50% or more of the galaxy's non-void systems a new timer is set. If they still meet the victory condition at the timer's expiration, that faction wins the round. If the don't meet the condition, the game continues until they (or another faction) have met the victory condition.

When the round ends, the server operator could reset and start over, or if not the game shifts out of Galactic Conquest and becomes a normal survival server.

The faction points system would probably need some changes to support this, I don't have any specifics to suggest since so far I've never paid attention to FP. Feel free to offer suggestions.

I would love to play this simply because it will force players into armed conflict. To win, you must expand beyond your homebase and claim and defend other systems. You'll have to continuously build fleets to guard your territory while you're offline, and to launch invasions into enemy territory and attempt to claim their systems as your own. You will lose battles and will have to smartly gather and manage resources to replenish your fleets. Small, one-man factions wouldn't stand a chance so players will have no choice but to band together into a few large factions. (Also, the max faction size should be configurable by the server owner, to prevent a mega-faction from joining all at once and roflstomping a low-pop server.)

To encourage expansion and limit turtling, resource distribution might need to be nerfed a lot, so that you probably won't build a significant fleet by owning and mining a single system. You'll have to claim other systems and continuously send out mining fleets if you want to start building the large fleets that are right now possible from mining just a few sectors worth of asteroids.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    So, a modified multi-sector version of Battle Mode?
    Hmm, I've never heard of battle mode before. Kind of, but it doesn't get rid of the current sandbox needs of gathering resources and designing/building ships. My idea is more of a long-term real-time strategy game but with a mix of players and eventually NPCs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Are galaxy sizes configurable? If you could limit the amount of systems in a galaxy then you could adjust how long one round might take.
    I don't think so, at least I don't remember seeing anything like that in the CFG file. But it would be a good addition!
    [doublepost=1477511497,1477510040][/doublepost]To expand on this mode, here are some possible specialized roles players could fulfill while trying to help their faction win. These aren't hard roles, but since players like to play the game in different ways I think these are some obvious ways for players to do their thing while contributing to a larger story.

1) Commander: In charge of overall strategy and distribution of effort. If the faction is really well-organized, he could dole out specific missions and objectives to other members of the faction, e.g. "You build up a fleet and go destroy that station over there" or "You stripmine all the Rammet from such-and-such system so the faction over there has trouble building shield capacitors."
    2) Resource Management: Player(s) who search for, gather, and stockpile resources for the faction to construct with.
    3) Scouts: Players and NPC fleets who scout the galaxy, noting other factions' locations, trying to locate enemy fleets or stockpiles, possibly constructing forward listening bases to break through fog of war if such a thing is ever possible. They could also attempt to loot enemy stockpiles if they encounter cargo that is not well-protected.
    4) Station Commanders: In charge of building, maintaining, and defending important stations, as well as managing the station's resources/fleets.
    5) Fleet Commanders: In charge of commanding fleets (both players and NPCs) for offensive and defensive purposes.
    6) Designers/Builders: Design bigger and better ships, and construct them for the faction as needed.
    7) Pilots: People who don't care about the overall strategy, or resource management, or building, but just want to get in a ship and blow stuff up. Most likely subordinate to a station or fleet commander.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I like this, because what this game dearly needs, is a reason to actually use the stuff you build. Sure, the tools for building ships are awesome...just what do you do with them, exactly?

A game 'mode' like this would be good, especially if you get rewarded for risking your ship against other ships somehow. That's the other problem with this game: if you do choose to PvP and you lose (likely), you get to grind out another ship. That means mining resources, and watching your factories turn those resources into other types of blocks that you then get to either assemble by hand, or load into a shipyard, if you can build one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like this, because what this game dearly needs, is a reason to actually use the stuff you build. Sure, the tools for building ships are awesome...just what do you do with them, exactly?

A game 'mode' like this would be good, especially if you get rewarded for risking your ship against other ships somehow. That's the other problem with this game: if you do choose to PvP and you lose (likely), you get to grind out another ship. That means mining resources, and watching your factories turn those resources into other types of blocks that you then get to either assemble by hand, or load into a shipyard, if you can build one.
    So apart from territory claims, how can we reward risking your ship? Right now, destroying an enemy ship only has the benefit of weakening the other side and improving your chances of claiming more territory. What if we considered that destroying an enemy ship directly gives your faction credits, or more Faction Points, or a more abstract Victory Point (which territory claims also add to). To make things more interesting, the amount you gain could be based on the difference in value between the participants of the battle, so you gain a lot more from winning an evenly-matched ship-vs-ship battle than you would if you swatted a few small fighters with a titan. This could encourage seeking out a battle as a method of gains independent from increasing your territory.

Or maybe simply weakening the enemy and salvaging their ships after a battle is enough reward.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sounds like a novel idea. I'd be keen to see if this comes to anything.
    Would their be established home bases, ships, outposts etc or would players need to build from scratch?

I think a quick way to get new players in would be to have established factions that players join and their are already factions, spawned homebases with outposts, ships and maybe warp gates.

You can do this already by building a custom server with rules governed by admins to insure everybody joins whatever faction and plays by the rules.

If you institute perma-death you would have a one man standing winner. Then reset. The problem here is users not online, so that might not work. Maybe no perma-death. Scratch that. :)
    [doublepost=1477517292,1477517083][/doublepost]Just thought. Simplest form would be red vs blue. Pirates vs Trading Guild. Anybody else is just fodder.
    Custom Stations and ships available and a homebase. First in first served or teams can allocate.
    Then, get to work either building, attacking, defending, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Perma-death would be a cool option but really only viable in very busy, high-population servers that don't have very many inactive players.

I figured players need to start from scratch, but I suppose admins could play around in creative mode to come up with some starting outposts if they want.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ships would be limited and docked with the homebase. Blueprints for more in shipyard.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I like this suggestion and I am sure there are many other cool game-modes we could dream up. I hope that when SM is released it will offer multiple game modes for servers to choose from.

Other victory conditions:

Win 'the big race' (gather mats, build speeder...Race. Time limited.)
    Explore: Gather a certain number of rare artifacts from planets. Or meet a target number of unique NPC factions and make diplomatic ties (or kill one of their ships...it's all good ;))
    Build: hmmm that's a tough one...
    Search: for a one-of-a-kind artifact.
    King of the hill: Hold control of a specific sector(s) longer than anyone else. (Like a tug-of-war or Domination map.) This focuses the conflict nicely in a huge empty galaxy.

Reactions: aRottenKomquat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am sure there are many other cool game-modes we could dream up. I hope that when SM is released it will offer multiple game modes for servers to choose from.
    I'm really hoping for a broad range of objective game modes in the future. Sandbox mode is fun for a bit, but I'm too goal-oriented and always get burned out due to having no real goals or purpose.

Jasper1991

Totaly not an alt, btw join Vaygr XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    Reaction score
    Perhaps you could ask Jeryia to expand on Ares Mod with these ideas?