New powersystem, some numbers.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    so i was trying to give the new power system a spin.
    i loaded up a fighter model of mine checked it's stats
    Mass 449.7/w rail
    L32 H14 W21
    power (old) 325.737 RC 95.076
    Thrust 2343 cons 26600 maxspeed 225 TMR 2.5
    Shield 50.342 RC 2986/s

Same chassic new power system i could not even get 8k powerregen into that same space at opposite diagonal corners.. so you better not worry about any damage whatsoever for the new ships will be laughably weak due to lack of power and such... so the new Doom cube is going to be a doom stick now.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Mass 449.7/w rail
    L32 H14 W21
    Shield 50.342 RC 2986/s

Same chassic new power system i could not even get 8k powerregen into that same space at opposite diagonal corners.. so you better not worry about any damage whatsoever for the new ships will be laughably weak due to lack of power and such... so the new Doom cube is going to be a doom stick now.
    The new power is on a different power scale. The new numbers aren't comparable to the old numbers. Try to remake the ship under the new system and forget the old numbers. You'll have more power than you can use, unless you have a bunch of outputs like a salvage array.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Mass 449.7/w rail
    L32 H14 W21
    Shield 50.342 RC 2986/s

I did exactly the same as you.
    BUT, my fighter is equal in fire power, a tad slower and has more shield. Also i got turn rate increased so its more manoeuvrable.
    21x15x19 dimensions
    old power 136000 with around 75000 regen thrust 2.5 ratio 225 max speed 11k shield

new power 9500 thrust 2.3 ratio 203 max speed 14k shield

weapons stayed the same.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The new power is on a different power scale. The new numbers aren't comparable to the old numbers. Try to remake the ship under the new system and forget the old numbers. You'll have more power than you can use, unless you have a bunch of outputs like a salvage array.
    Thanks m8 i'll try that ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well all power usage has also changed with the power generation.

Each reactor outputs 50 power / block plus stabilisation blocks, at 100% stabilisation. Stabilisation doesn't require a 1/1 block ratio with reactors, its less. Chambers are roughly 20-25% the size of the reactor.

Shield recharges use 2/block power, 4/block when recharging out of combat. Old system used 5.5/block and 55/block out of combat.
    Thrusters use 4/block when accelerating.
    Weapons use 15/block charging and 3/block maintaining oh and the damage has doubled per block for at least beam/cannon and missiles. I assume pulse doubled but I haven't checked. The old system required 100 e/sec per block to charge.
    Mass enhancers it took 1000 of them to use 2.5 power. I forgot how much the old system used but it was higher.
    Cloaking and jamming doesn't actually use power just takes some time to charge up to activate. My cloak transport ship with 10,000 cargo modules can still be cloaked when fully loaded with cargo. I had to double the reactor size and all chambers so I could charge the jump drive properly.
    Built in scanner uses around 51 power. Always.
    Salvagers use quite a bit of power. Hard to say exactly due to the use of slaved cannons and lots of outputs. However one of the chambers can be setup for a mining bonus of up to level 3 which will do something.

Reaction score
    I've been kinda busy with work, but I started on a small 100ish meter missile corvette, and I found that I could power some extremely deadly missile arrays with thousands of blocks with only a tiny bit of reactor. The power draw during the recharge cycle was only 17k per second for the 5 mil damage missile/beam/explosive array I built. Under the new system, you can make tiny missile boats that can deliver a 10 million damage death-slap every 45 seconds or even small bombers with cannon-pulse that are extraordinarily lethal. The damage output for a given mass of ship, especially with high-alpha, low-refire-rate weapons, has massively increased. Large capitals beware!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The new chamber system also encourages the use of one type of weapon for damage orientated ships. For 1 chamber using 4 out of 10 upgrade points available you can massively reduce the power requirement of one type of weapon block. There is one for each type cannons, beams, missiles, explosive. This will reduces your power requirements for charging weapons even more. Interestingly enough there is also a chamber option to reduce lockon time and another for warheads.... that might make them more effective. You can atleast get a warhead 1 upgrade with a perma cloaked ship as well. But warhead 2 means you can still be perma jammed but not perma cloaked. You could still setup your ship to cloak just not perminantly.

With 3 chambers and 5 out of 10 upgrade points you can have a cloaking capital ship with the whatever the minimum cloaking time is. You can fit minimal cloaking time with a weapon type power eff 4 for one weapon type.

Reaction score
    I'm making progress with my Salvager array tests, at the moment I use a 144k reactor setup with outboard stabilizers set on a tail of about 100m away, for maximum efficiency. The array is approximately 51k of salvage modules in a staggered two-stage array with two fifty block long arrays offset for total coverage. It takes approximately 750-800k of power when running and requires a cooldown of approximately 6 seconds to recharge between shots.

I'm probably gonna keep on tweaking the power setup, until I can get up to 100% powered rating (which means a hefty wad of reactors), but I'm less keen on trying to make it an actual ship, because the new system isnt that good for compact building, and I'm not that keen on building large ships.

With the old power system, I was able to keep the ship fairly compact by utilizing all the space between the salvage modules. I can't exactly do that with the new system, because it doesn't allow decentralized power systems, and requires extra room for stabilizers.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yep I would just like to reiterate as everyone has already said,
    The new reactors are a parallel, completely different system with completely different production/consumption numbers.

For example base cannons are now 1.333 damage per power, instead of 0.1 damage per power.

I do have concerns with the rise of the dumbbell design however, going to be more prince alberts than a queer night club soon.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with the dumbbell design is if one end gets shot up your pretty much instantly crippled power wise. Before you couldn't really pick out the power system, if they use a dumbbell design you would now know where to shoot to cripple their power.

Reaction score
    theyre gonna know where to shoot anyway, and itll be harder than it sounds to purposely target a system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The new chamber system also encourages the use of one type of weapon for damage orientated ships. For 1 chamber using 4 out of 10 upgrade points available you can massively reduce the power requirement of one type of weapon block. There is one for each type cannons, beams, missiles, explosive. This will reduces your power requirements for charging weapons even more. Interestingly enough there is also a chamber option to reduce lockon time and another for warheads.... that might make them more effective. You can atleast get a warhead 1 upgrade with a perma cloaked ship as well. But warhead 2 means you can still be perma jammed but not perma cloaked. You could still setup your ship to cloak just not perminantly.

With 3 chambers and 5 out of 10 upgrade points you can have a cloaking capital ship with the whatever the minimum cloaking time is. You can fit minimal cloaking time with a weapon type power eff 4 for one weapon type.
    Thank you for the informative post!
    Do you know if the chamber effects apply to docked entities/turrets?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    What about a UFO ship? With the reactors in the middle with the stabilizers around the edge using the circle build helper tool.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Reactors roughly centered & stabilisers near the outer hull seems to be what they originally wanted, better ways to do it until they change some things but would be more interesting. Especially if they do end up changing stabilisers to actually 'stabilise' otherwise volatile reactor groups, was something mentioned iirc anyway

Reaction score
    More progress on my salvager array project. I got it to full power, took a look at the numbers, and decide to try something a bit different from a huge mound of solid rector blocks(approximately 18k in total). Took a page out of my older design book and laid reactor lines into the back end of the salvage array and capped that with a plate of reactors to tie them together. After rearranging the stabilizers, I had 1,2mil power, and a total hull length of 663meters (array and reactor setup in the front and stabilizers at the back end). I think I'm starting to get better with the new system, the more I tinker with it.

Still a 600m+ ship for a salvage array of 100m is a bit of a stretch, since I was able to fit the same system in a ship no longer than 150m before.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Ouch. I'm going to have to take a look at my faction's smaller miners to see if there's a way to get them up to speed without changing their size any. >.>

Reaction score
    To a degree this problem could be counteracted with mining bonus chamber.
    Have the salvage beam energy consumption changed compared to current stable/release version?
    IIRC when the dev build just got released, the weapons and systems had the old power consumption values that got updated to new power later.
    Same could happen to salvage beam.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    More progress on my salvager array project. I got it to full power, took a look at the numbers, and decide to try something a bit different from a huge mound of solid rector blocks(approximately 18k in total). Took a page out of my older design book and laid reactor lines into the back end of the salvage array and capped that with a plate of reactors to tie them together. After rearranging the stabilizers, I had 1,2mil power, and a total hull length of 663meters (array and reactor setup in the front and stabilizers at the back end). I think I'm starting to get better with the new system, the more I tinker with it.

Still a 600m+ ship for a salvage array of 100m is a bit of a stretch, since I was able to fit the same system in a ship no longer than 150m before.
    Try putting all the stabilizers 200 meters to the rear, 200 meters to one side, and 200 meters above or below, in one clump. That will give you the same numerical distance as a 600 meter long ship but with a MUCH better turn ratio. Clad your stabilizer clump with black hull so it's not so visible.

Reaction score
    So I guess it all boils down to either a Borg sphere, dumbbell of destruction and this... design?
    Well, three meta designs is better than just one cube tbh.