New powersystem, some numbers.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Could someone explain why a sphere is optimal? It seems to me that no matter where you put the reactor in a sphere, the reactor you end up with will always produce less power than a reactor in a ship with some kind of long shape (cylinder, prolate spheroid, or prism of any kind) of identical volume and/or mass, because stabilizers only care about a single dimension. Which, I would assume, means less DPS, less thrust per weight, less shield regeneration, and less... everything... for your trouble.

Reaction score
    It's more about having a good turn rate than anything really.
    It doesn't matter how you shape your reactors - you still have to place stabilizers x meters away from it's convex hull.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Could someone explain why a sphere is optimal? It seems to me that no matter where you put the reactor in a sphere, the reactor you end up with will always produce less power than a reactor in a ship with some kind of long shape (cylinder, prolate spheroid, or prism of any kind) of identical volume and/or mass, because stabilizers only care about a single dimension. Which, I would assume, means less DPS, less thrust per weight, less shield regeneration, and less... everything... for your trouble.
    That is why i refer to efficient builds in the new system as doom sticks. for exceeding the max distance on one axis is way easier than trying different shapes and having to reduce the reactor in order to make the stabilizers work. We went from a system that wanted to extend on all 3 axis but would allow for only focusing on one axis, to a system that strongly favors extension on only one axis and hardly makes anything else really viable. this is where the point of "system should support multiple creative designs" failed miserably.

It's more about having a good turn rate than anything really.
    It doesn't matter how you shape your reactors - you still have to place stabilizers x meters away from it's convex hull.
    or good turret coverage...small ships will still turn quickly...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So I guess it all boils down to either a Borg sphere, dumbbell of destruction and this... design?
    Well, three meta designs is better than just one cube tbh.
    Heh, I'm not gonna lie, that would be pretty damned awesome.

Makes Vulcan ships more viable too.

I'm liking it, as it makes more different ship configurations viable while moving us away from bricks and pringle cans.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The real only fitting design for the reactor stabilizer thing i consider the comet from Captain future.

Reaction score
    Or the Honor Harrington ships. Considering how weapons with high reload work in the Dev build we could even get the "thousands of nuclear missiles" part.