New Power and viable shapes

Reaction score
    Is everyone in the community forgetting that they also made INTEGRITY a thing, not to mention local shields. Great! You build a giant dumb bell or stick with 20x more power than my ship. Now that you don't have a massive shield covering the entire ship, my mates and I will just focus fire on that weak thin section connecting your stabilizers to your reactor. The new integrity mechanic means you will lose your stabilizers and all that power will be meaningless.

That type of ship will be fine for 1v1, but who here honestly actually finds 1v1 PVP fun? I know I never did. So boring!

I am happy they are finally shaking up ALL the systems in the game. People keep discussing the new meta in terms of only how much power than can get out of it, but forget that you have to be able to effectively use that power and integrate it with ALL of the new systems.

The old days of people creating massive dreadnoughts, with massive shields, and massive alpha strike weapons was a lame meta. This was made especially true when docked reactors became a thing. Hell, that's part of the reason I left the game for the last few years. Boring PVP due to a horrid meta, not to mention our server crashing when dreadnoughts faced off.. To this day I still don't understand some of the current PVP communities obsession with the old meta, and wanting to see it continue forward. I personally have always wanted PVP battles to be slugfests with both sides slowly losing pieces of their ship, and NO alpha strike capabilities. My hope is that this update combined with some other changes (weapon nerf and armor buff) will make PVP more fun, not more of the same.

In any case I think you all are putting too much stock into the shape of the ship ONLY how it pertains to power efficiency without considering all other systems and game mechanics. Is it perfect? No. But I think it is a step in the right direction for making combat fun. I would say again, but combat was never fun

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Is everyone in the community forgetting that they also made INTEGRITY a thing, not to mention local shields. Great! You build a giant dumb bell or stick with 20x more power than my ship. Now that you don't have a massive shield covering the entire ship, my mates and I will just focus fire on that weak thin section connecting your stabilizers to your reactor. The new integrity mechanic means you will lose your stabilizers and all that power will be meaningless.

That type of ship will be fine for 1v1, but who here honestly actually finds 1v1 PVP fun? I know I never did. So boring!

I am happy they are finally shaking up ALL the systems in the game. People keep discussing the new meta in terms of only how much power than can get out of it, but forget that you have to be able to effectively use that power and integrate it with ALL of the new systems.

The old days of people creating massive dreadnoughts, with massive shields, and massive alpha strike weapons was a lame meta. This was made especially true when docked reactors became a thing. Hell, that's part of the reason I left the game for the last few years. Boring PVP due to a horrid meta, not to mention our server crashing when dreadnoughts faced off.. To this day I still don't understand some of the current PVP communities obsession with the old meta, and wanting to see it continue forward. I personally have always wanted PVP battles to be slugfests with both sides slowly losing pieces of their ship, and NO alpha strike capabilities. My hope is that this update combined with some other changes (weapon nerf and armor buff) will make PVP more fun, not more of the same.

In any case I think you all are putting too much stock into the shape of the ship ONLY how it pertains to power efficiency without considering all other systems and game mechanics. Is it perfect? No. But I think it is a step in the right direction for making combat fun. I would say again, but combat was never fun
    This doesn't change the fact that longer ship = more power. It's still possible to make a ship of similar overall mass outperform another by just making it a little longer than the other.

The new shields might pose a problem to modular stations.

Integrity was also very unstable at first, stabilizers sometimes forget to calculate, I would hate to see what would happen if integrity forgot to calculate while under attack.

I'm not sure about some people's obsession over nerfing everything.
    #Reactor coring 2.0

Reaction score
    In my experience, for sane ship shapes, local shields never work. You look at your power generation (e.g. 10 million e/sec) and decide on a power budget (e.g. "50% of power for max. shield consumption) and then try to build a set of local shields that add up to 5 million e/sec without the generator bubbles overlapping, realise you can't do it, and then you give up and build a single "5 million e/sec consumption" shield.

Ironically, "two distant blobs for reactor and stabilisers" (with a local shield for each distant blob) is probably the only way to get local shields to work without the shield generator bubbles overlapping. The shield bubbles are so large that the "armoured umbilical cord" between reactor and stabiliser will be covered by both shields.

Of course armour/hull doesn't (and can't) have integrity. Integrity just means that you can't have useful system blocks along the "armoured umbilical cord".

The ideal PvP ship would be something like "stabilisers, weapons and shield group 1" in the front distant blob, and "reactors, chambers, thrusters and shield group 2" in the rear distant blob, with "armoured umbilical cord" (pure armour/hull blocks and nothing else) in between; possibly with lots of turrets and/or docked armour plating along that "armoured umbilical cord".