New planet mechanic idea

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Considering space is infinite, I don\'t think finding new planets will be a problem. If planet size gets larger as well, then blowing up planets won\'t be as easy as it is now.

Incentivizing planets somehow as something useful will also make destroying planets a last resort for an enemy, thus leading to planets lasting longer for multiplayer servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did you read the points against instancing?

Anyway, imagine trying to do things at the corners of instances. You\'re trying to make 270 degrees be 360.

OP is much better.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    We already saw the thread. If more people approved, they\'d have commented. We don\'t need threads being clogged by completely conflicting deas that need their own thread.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I suspect the reason planets are only about 400m across is to reduce lag. This idea would allow them to be far larger. Since you could have a planet made up of as many sections as possible, you could probably make a planet the size of the solar systems we have now. Heck, it might even be possible to make a planet that is the size of a real planet.

Also, if we\'re getting bigger, sphere-shaped planets, could we get them to rotate like planets? I\'m thinking this could be done by having a set of \"sectors\" around the planet that rotate, and drag the planet segments around without the need for having them moving in the physics engine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ever since Schema has posted his experiments with different type planets.

I must say, this time, there is actually a solution in place as opposed to just the idea of a planet. It could be really neat.

I HOPE that, in case this does get implemented, planets will be generated with varied sizes and varied amounts of separate chunks, where larger planets are smoother than smaller ones. Perhaps we could also have Moons as well. The game will shift from having hundreds of thousands of flat disks to having far fewer but far more detailed planets, making it slightly more realistic and in the process giving planets some much deserved purpose :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This is what happens to great and neatly explained suggestions, they get implemented :D

Reaction score
    thats a great idea, but is there a way you can make each face a difrent shape or make it so he edges are not as steep like add anoher pentegonon in every plain to make it flatter and more realisticly sized?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, each pentagon could be replaced by five triangles, at an angle. Then these triangle could be replaces with 4 triangles each, and so on, as you wanted to make it smoother as it got larger.

Frankly, I hope that some oreo planets show up in the game.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I think that method was discussed, a lot like a footballs pattern. A tesselation of different shapes.
    It presented to many problems to implement IIRC.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wait, problems with triangle sections or problems with a large number of faces?