MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    anything you did specific. like the steps you took that got it working

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i think i'll remove the thread because starmade has simply always worked for me, i not done anything specific

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have a question, what version of java do i need to run starmade

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    1.7.6 is a good idea but anything 1.6 or higher should be fine. Some folk have rolled back to an earlier Java and gotten the game working that way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I have java 8 and I also have the newest version of starmade but it is still not working, any ideas why?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm experiencing the same problem as this. Launcher loads but upon pressing 'Start Game' the launcher closes as it should, but the settings window doesn't open. According to task manager nothing is opening either. I have Java 7 64bit and the latest version of StarMade. Sounds like their is no obvious fix right now, but help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I'm experiencing the same problem as this. Launcher loads but upon pressing 'Start Game' the launcher closes as it should, but the settings window doesn't open. According to task manager nothing is opening either. I have Java 7 64bit and the latest version of StarMade. Sounds like their is no obvious fix right now, but help would be appreciated.
    yeah, it is a pain, and i need to finish my station this happened to be a year or so back but they fixed it, don't know what is happening, what is your operating system?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Windows 8. Only started happening after I tried to download the new patch, and the download originally failed for it. Had to install it manually. Something about not having permission to modify files, but it did because previous downloads worked and I ran it in administrator mode. Not necessarily related though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    blurb357 Try installing in a new location. If you don't want to restart your universe/lose all of your blueprints, you can carry them over into the fresh build. It worked for me :)

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    how do I do that, I have a mac and whenever I download, it immediately puts it into my download folder

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    how do I do that, I have a mac and whenever I download, it immediately puts it into my download folder, so how do I download it in a new location, also is it me or does it now, not download as a .zip file?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    how do I do that, I have a mac and whenever I download, it immediately puts it into my download folder, so how do I download it in a new location, also is it me or does it now, not download as a .zip file?
    Move StarMade starter to a new location and press the "update" button once launched.

Reaction score
    I still don't have any idea what is not working. Could you describe step by step what you are doing and what you see?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Step one: I open starmadelauncher.jar
    Step two (if needed): i update starmade
    Step three: I press on the start game button
    Step four: game closes
    Step five: I go mental and start screaming

Hope that helped :)

Reaction score
    Okay, so the settings windows doesn't come up? Then please do what @rocketman221 suggested, run the game from a terminal.
    Code:
    cd /path/to/StarMade
    java -jar StarMade.jar -force
    It probably will give you an error message, please copy that and show it to us. (Best use the [code][/code] environment.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Okay, so the settings windows doesn't come up? Then please do what @rocketman221 suggested, run the game from a terminal.
    Code:
    cd /path/to/StarMade
    java -jar StarMade.jar -force
    It probably will give you an error message, please copy that and show it to us. (Best use the [code][/code] environment.)
    how do I open a terminal on mac and what is a CD? I presume he doesn't mean the disc

Reaction score
    The Terminal should be somewhere in that applications thing (in a folder, iirc).
    cd is the command that changes the current working directory. The terminal will probably start in your home directory, so you have to use cd to switch to the one where the StarMade.jar is located.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    The Terminal should be somewhere in that applications thing (in a folder, iirc).
    cd is the command that changes the current working directory. The terminal will probably start in your home directory, so you have to use cd to switch to the one where the StarMade.jar is located.
    so for the / CD command this was the error message
    No such file or directory
    and for the: java -jar StarMade.jar -force command this was the error message:
    Unable to access jarfile StarMade.jar
    hope this helps