Suggested New "overheating" mechanic and more splodey combat

are you down for overheated ships blowing up?

• or "nah man overheated ships just dissappearing into nothing is my bag baby"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    been playing a lot of freespace 2 open lately and it got me thinking about what starmade severely lacks... BIG FRICKIN EXPLOSIONS.

And not just explosions but satisfying 90s esque 2d explosions... and the lack of particle effects like sparks coming off of cannon and beam hits cuz the wimpy explosions now are quite sad. but enough about graphics for weapons, what I suggest is that when a overheated ship timer hits 0 it BLOW THE F**K UP like it goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! the damage and radius of the blast would be calculated by its size, mass, and reactor blocks powering it with it acting like a decently powerful pulse but not so much pulse than a BIG FIREBALL WITH SHOCKWAVES AND POSSIBLE DEBRIS then it disappears possibly with chunks of scrap taking its place.

Pretty much this:

thoughts anyone?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Better weapon effects and ships blowing up when they overheat gets suggested every other week. Please look at the frequent suggestions and use the search bar before making a post.

Reaction score
    Also, stuff exploding into fireballs and shockwaves in space is beyond ridiculous. It simply does not happen. Physics denies this. Isolated explosions are possible, but no ship will ever just spontaneous evaporate into a fireball---at most, you can get a brief flare from an isolated area before the O2's gone. Most likely, you get a flash of photons created in the release of energy (explosion) itself, then nothing.

No, we really don't need explosions. In fact, we have much better things to waste the dev's time with, such as shipyard improvements, the upcoming Trade Guild/AI upgrades, and worthwhile requests in general.

And if we did want explosions, we would presumably utilize the technology at our disposal to create wonderful three-dimensional 2016 explosions, not 90s explosions. Seriously, why?

And I personally hope that when a ship overheats in the future, it ends up (Eventually) in a ship graveyard of sorts somewhere in the system, instead of just randomly evaporating into nothingness because you didn't make it to the chopper fast enough harvest it really fast.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A lot of us who play Starmade have played Freespace in some form, so we know what you mean.

This suggestion will be a polishing enhancement that may come about in the beta phase of this game. It's a low priority compared to a lot of the basic gameplay enhancements in the pipe right now. So I think we'll get some rocking special effects eventually, because the public loves explosions (and it would really sell the game in preview videos), but it will be at least a few years. Bring it back up as a suggestion in the year 2020.

On a side note, that video showcases a lot of the enhanced media effects that were introduced in the Freespace Open Project. The original Freespace effects were not nearly as visceral as the lightshow on display here.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    And I personally hope that when a ship overheats in the future, it ends up (Eventually) in a ship graveyard
    I hope overheated ships would more or less act like asteroids (as long it's not harming performance and a reasonable ammount of blocks is left)

Reaction score
    To lecic and madman: sorry but i was in a commenting new thread mood and a quick skim of the 1st page/ search on overheating didnt show anything to my liking, again sorry.
    Plus it is just a suggestion, also where starmade is now it isnt too realistic and 90s explosions are just a prefrence, but seriously to madman... why no explosions? (The correct answer is there's no reason)

The idea about graveyards could go hand and hand with my idea:
    1.ship blows up
    2.whats left of ship becomes a decayed block shape of what it was and you have to replace the core, Reboot, and remaining system blocks will come back online and you have to repair it at a shipyard to get it 100% and pretty again. (I put almost no thought into that idea and it would probably make it overly difficult all the while open to abuse)

Now i think about it descent 3 explosions definitely fit minecraft in space better.

Also i have a possibly douchey way of representing my thoughts so if i sound offensive im not trying to be.

Reaction score
    actually combat and explosions not like freespace 2 open and more like its predecessor Descent 3: the style and graphics seem far more similar and appropriate:

Reaction score
    Here's the thing: There is a reason for no huge absurd explosions in space: They can't happen. Oxygen-less environment with almost no detectable pressure? No fire for you, sorry.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Here's the thing: There is a reason for no huge absurd explosions in space: They can't happen. Oxygen-less environment with almost no detectable pressure? No fire for you, sorry.
    You assume that the only possible source of an explosion is a chemical reaction. Not only that, but you assume that the only possible chemical reaction is an oxidation one. You do realize how silly that is right?

Reaction score
    Using what we know now, there is not likely to be anything in space that creates giant continuous fireballs. So, no really silly.

Yes, other reactions are possible, but they are much less often observed...mostly because oxidation is the most common form of burning/exploding/illuminating reaction we have to witness here in our 21% oxygen atmosphere.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Using what we know now, there is not likely to be anything in space that creates giant continuous fireballs. So, no really silly.

Yes, other reactions are possible, but they are much less often observed...mostly because oxidation is the most common form of burning/exploding/illuminating reaction we have to witness here in our 21% oxygen atmosphere.
    Consider that advanced spacecraft are likely to have fusion power sources. Total containment failure in a fusion reactor would create a rapidly expanding ball of plasma would it not?

Reaction score
    Ehhhhh....it depends. Most likely, yes, it could overheat the surrounding area. If the pressure is intense enough, it could even throw out a cloud of plasma, ripping through the ship's hull and expanding in a jet...not a perfectly spherical explosion. Also, flames are just a terrible thing to show. It's definitely possible to produce streams of plasma from a superheated vessel, but there will not be flames, and certainly not super-fast rapidly-disappearing "90s-esque" 2-dimensional explosions. It'd be a little more awesome than that, I think. Given that there's now a decent-sized cloud of plasma in the area.

But we don't use fusion reactors in this game. We use large antennae to collect universe-juice or something.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ehhhhh....it depends. Most likely, yes, it could overheat the surrounding area. If the pressure is intense enough, it could even throw out a cloud of plasma, ripping through the ship's hull and expanding in a jet...not a perfectly spherical explosion. Also, flames are just a terrible thing to show. It's definitely possible to produce streams of plasma from a superheated vessel, but there will not be flames, and certainly not super-fast rapidly-disappearing "90s-esque" 2-dimensional explosions. It'd be a little more awesome than that, I think. Given that there's now a decent-sized cloud of plasma in the area.

But we don't use fusion reactors in this game. We use large antennae to collect universe-juice or something.
    I never said it would appear identical to explosions in freespace or other games. But a fusion reactor detonation WOULD produce a large cloud of glowing plasma that could appear explosion-like.

And the reactors in the game are, like so many elements in the game, best thought of as an abstract functional component that builders can consider to be whatever they want it to be. Since most scifi ships have fusion reactors, making an assumption that a ship in starmade is powered by fusion is perfectly reasonable.

I also find it bizzare that you are totally OK with reactors that create power from nothing, but having them explode is out of the question because realisim. Which is more likely, totally violating the first law of thermodynamics or spacecraft having something explosive in them?

Reaction score
    Totally OK? Not really. I can accept them for now, since there are more pressing things to change...and changing the mechanic so that large chunks are better than carefully designed reactor layouts is just not that great of an idea.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This game's theme is not realism. Pushing for realism in a blocky voxel game is silly. This game is based around pop Scifi media.

So, go ahead and say there are no explosions in space, while astronauts take off their helmets in the void and magical shields absorb damage and free energy flows from reactor blocks like sweet ambrosia.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    sayerulz and Madman198237 next time, please don't have such discussions in a public thread, you are free to discuss things like explosions in space but calling each other silly is not how neutral discussions about explosions go, it sounds more like a discussion of who is right and who is wrong.

Of course, I might be misinterpreting the mood of discussion and if that is the case, my sincere apologies.