New-(More useful)- pulse weapon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Ok now, starmade has a less useful weapon type. Pulse.
    It's range is low and no one really wants to get that close to someone, with all the lags issues and etc. While it's useful to kill boarders, we could just have a specialized block for that which is easier to balance in respect to boarding.

So what am I suggesting pulse become? Wave motion gun, a wave in a certain direction that causes block damage when it impacts. Low rate of fire weapon that does damage over an area.

This type of weapon would fire a slow directional pulse aligned with the direction of the ship (or at least the computer, so boardside or rear setups should be possible.) And the wave isn't stopped by impact but does damage for all blocks it impacts until it reaches the end of its range and dissapates.

That however is only the left-click firing mode, the right click is far different. Right click firing with this weapon *fires* a pulse round at a target. Should it impact it will form a spherical pulse where it impacts on the target.

What does this make balance wise? It's a weapon that smaller ships can use against relatively larger ships with ease and does masses of block damage should it hit. As well as damaging wide areas.

As a weapon type punch and pierce are useless for it. Ion only matters if it impacts shields but a weapon like this should possibly be debuffed against shields to start with. Explosive might work for the projectile firing mode but would be useless for the pulse. Stop would work as normal, perhaps being more effective the more blocks it hits. Push and pull the same as stop. Overdrive would increase block damage for both as normal.

How'd it be implemented? You can't divide damage from block count for something like this, you don't know how many blocks this might hit. So the pulse would do very little block damage as it passes though. It's either death by a thousand cuts (you do fighter runs on a larger ship, the pulses add up and wreck the target.) or it's such a large array that it'd just one shot blocks anyway (if you say put it on a titan.). Even so, only the largest ships would be unable to dodge this. You'd just have a siege pulse weapon that'd only hit stationary or very slow targets.

Range would be low, even less than beams. So only the most manueverable ships can bring it to bear. Maybe 1km? Debatable.

How I expect it to be used? For attack runs on larger ships by drones or fighters. Or as a killing attack v.s stopped targets.

And the main reason I want this? It's a more alien weapon, something you'd see from some super-advanced alien race. Cannons, missiles and beams? That's all stuff I'd expect humans to use. We already have those weapons IRL.

I probably missed stuff but im tired, might carry on tomorrow.

Reaction score
    I like this idea. this introduce some interestimg pulse/slave combos. A weapon like this would be great for heavy bombers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like this idea. this introduce some interestimg pulse/slave combos. A weapon like this would be great for heavy bombers.
    That's pretty much the idea. Cannon would increase rate of fire, beam would increse speed/range, missile would make the pulse wider/scattergun(which would be high RoF with loads of scatter) for alternate fire and pulse would give you the high alpha siege type.

I get the feeling it'd have some worrying balance implications if it were implemented but it's something that can be fixed afterwards.

Reaction score
    This is what pulse should of been. Maybe with a few balance tweaks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We have this thing called 'Nukes" that do large area effect damage. This would render nukes redundant. Small ships can make use of nukes.

Reaction score
    We have this thing called 'Nukes" that do large area effect damage. This would render nukes redundant. Small ships can make use of nukes.
    Nukes are long range, slow, seeking, and stop-able. This is short range, slow, non-seeking, and unstop-able. They are very different and wouldn't obsolete nukes at all.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Wrong kind of wide area of effect damage, and small ships' nukes cannot penetrate armor any more efficiently than cannon/pulse - if anything, small ships with cannon/pulse are vastly superior to small ships with missile/pulse.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I really like a wave-motion-gun.
    But it would have to be balanced about 2/3 of it's range * it's diameter – all blocks it could possibly hit. And after that it would suck! ++LAG too.

––– Suggestion of a fix –––

Pulse with explosive,emp,ion effect:
    Makes a giant blast surrounding your whole ship and expands to 3x it's size (scale x,y,z to plus,minus,current one after another)
    This blast hits all entities in range, but each only once each 5 seconds per effect-type.
    Ion drains shields, emp drains power, explosive outright kills the ship if it has no shield and structure-hp left or detaches random armour blocks worth it's damage.
    Pulse primary-fire-mode:
    Shoot gravity vortexes which suck blocks out of the enemy ship and create a loot-cloud.
    Blocks either break as a whole or stay fully unharmed (reduces LAG, who needs perfect 3D spheres like with human-missiles for alien-weapons anyway)
    Pulse secondary-fire-mode on a fixed-docked entity:
    Fire a giant wave-motion gun in the direction the ship faces.
    But it has a charge-up time of at least 10 seconds.
    It either outright kills a target or only turns the outer block layers to "cold lava" which might be ineffective and heavy.
    Pulse secondary-fire-mode on a turret:
    When the main ship activates the Wave-Motion-Gun (secondary fire mode), all turrets instantly stop using their primary fire mode and charge for a broad-side.
    The broadside is released on a target (default: biggest target) after the Wave-Motion-Gun killed smaller targets.​

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be really, really nice if I didn't have to beg someone to translate for me every time I have to read one of your posts.
    Go learn english.
    Or do you care whether a German, Chinese or Russian baby could read your posts?​

Last edited:

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Go learn english.
    Native English speaker here, and that was the single only post of yours in recent days that I've been able to understand or decipher. Your chosen syntax goes against everything any of us have ever been taught about English (and, in general, human language), save for basic per-sentence grammar and spelling. I know you're capable of writing in a reasonable and logical manner, as you used to do so at some point in distant history.

Reaction score
    Native English speaker here, and that was the single only post of yours in recent days that I've been able to understand or decipher. Your chosen syntax goes against everything any of us have ever been taught about English (and, in general, human language), save for basic per-sentence grammar and spelling. I know you're capable of writing in a reasonable and logical manner, as you used to do so at some point in distant history.
    Everything he posts looks like modern American English to me.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    It's the formatting. The formatting is what actively drives people away from his posts, and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one, seeing as how I see complaints about it in all the chat rooms whenever the topic comes up.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Please take this to PM (invite Sunkin351 maybe allow us to invite) or I will report you and call for a mod.

1. Why do you write that offtopic here? I get the feeling you want to spam to hide my post from getting noticed by the next true reply. It's actually against the forum rules.
    It's the formatting. The formatting is what actively drives people away from his posts, and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one, seeing as how I see complaints about it in all the chat rooms whenever the topic comes up.
    2. What is bad about the formatting of my previous-previous post?
    In every programming language, HUMANS use indentation to declare sub-sections. And not only there.
    3. I hate walls-of-text. Means: 100 lines of text without a break, paragraph … sometimes not even dot and comma or other visual hints.
    EDIT: keptick : Did I write pseudo-code in the post that started this offtopic-discussion?​

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It's more the fact that everything he writes looks more like pseudo-code than an actual language. The individual sentences make sense, but the whole is just a pain in the *** to read because of the overall syntax and structure. A lot of people (me included) have just given up trying to decrypt his posts.

But let's get back on track, this is deviating from the main topic :P

Winterhome

Reaction score
    On-topic: I've been in support of damage pulse being a short-range (but not melee) weapon ever since its inception, with the pulse being fired forwards in a cone, for quite a long time. Sorta like a high energy, block-penetrating flamethrower. This seems to be the most reasonable way by which to do it that I've seen so far - somewhere between the original damage pulse's "omni-damage" (ie: same level of block damage to every block the pulse touches) and a reasonable ranged weapon.

Pulse/Cannon - constant low-power spray, like a flamethrower - ideal for the sheer spam potential (and for the cool factor of space flamethrowers).
    Pulse/Beam - narrower cone, longer range, more intensely focused damage within the cone - ideal for precision targeting of specific systems.
    Pulse/Pulse - longer reload time, higher damage output overall - ideal against fortified targets, or for use on relatively small ships.
    Pulse/Missile - much wider cone, same range, and lower damage intensity per-block - ideal against massive targets, or as an "area denial" device to swat drones and fighters with a large ship.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Pulse/Cannon - constant low-power spray, like a flamethrower - ideal for LAG
    Pulse/Pulse - longer reload time, higher damage output overall - it's the range which makes pulse ineffective! (or OP if buffed)

I could say more, but I think I've said enough to make your post look like from a 1-month old suggestion-spam account.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I could say more, but I think I've said enough to make your post look like from a 1-month old suggestion-spam account.
    Neon, man. No need to go for the personal attacks on a suggestions thread. He isn't the only person who has had issues in the past with how you can format stuff and all the pseudo-code (which im happy you have abstained in for this thread, my sincere gratitude there.).

I'm going to be frank, I tend to skip your posts 90% of the time. If this wasn't my own thread I wouldn't have bothered, what you type CAN be an eyesore. It doesn't have to be but I'm putting it out there.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Pulse/Cannon - constant low-power spray, like a flamethrower - ideal for LAG
    How so?

Pulse/Pulse - longer reload time, higher damage output overall - it's the range which makes pulse ineffective! (or OP if buffed)
    Pulse/Pulse would have standard range like the other reworked pulses. Congrats on not actually reading, genius.

Way to ad-hominem.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Someone explain to me how Neon's posts are hard to read.
    It literally seems to be the topic of the next few lines, then said lines are indented underneath the topic line, with a gap between the chunks. Thats it.

Also makes it easy to skim and decide which parts I don't care about reading/don't want to read without missing anything.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1453414553,1453414427][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, I can see how reading a single sentence line with an indent is annoying. Why even bother with an indent if you don't have 6 to 8 lines of text underneath it that you are trying to break up. Pointless.