New Launcher problems...

Reaction score
    The new launcher looks great and functions okay, but there's a few little problems I've run into.

1. Launcher not recognizing external Java installations.

I was trying to get the launcher to recognize external Java installations, to see if I could get it to work with newer Java than the included 1.7.0 version. No matter what directory I tried to set the external Java settings to, the launcher didn't recognize tha there was any Java Executables in the directory, giving me a red notification about "The specified directory does not contain a java executable". Is this feature not implemented yet, or what is the problem?

2. Launcher not running game on Dedicated GPU.

For some reason, the launcher doesn't seem to be using the correct GPU to run the game. It seems to be locked on using the Intel HD 4000 series integrated GPU my laptop has, when it should be using the dedicated AMD Radeon HD 8750M GPU. I've tried adding the both the launcher executable and the game itself into my AMD settings panel, in the hopes of trying to get it to work, but so far this has been unsuccesful. I don't know what else to do, since it just doesnt seem to be working right.

I know this, because the game exhibits the symptoms of the "render screen in blue on Intel GPUs" bug when I have Framebuffer activated in game. I used the same exact settings on my non-steam install (including turning Framebuffer ON), using the old v16 Launcher and the game is running on the AMD GPU, because the Intel GPU bug is not present there.

The Drivers for both GPU's are as up to date as they can be, so it should not be a driver problem, the only difference between the New launcher and the non-Steam version of the game is the Java version they use, the New launcher is running the bundled Java(jre1.7.0_80 64-bit), whereas the non-Steam version is using the latest Java installation available (jre1.8.0_102 64-bit).

My system Specs are:
    CPU: Intel i5-3210M
    GPUs: Intel HD 4000 series / AMD Radeon HD 8750M (1024MB dedicated memory)
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 1TB

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be willing to try them, but nothing I've tried has worked on these two problems.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    1. copy paste the path to the java bin into the box for it. the browse option is broken in the current release version. will be fixed in the next update. ⚓ T1920 Cant set a custom java path in 2.1.0 builds
    Screenshot_1.jpg

2. that is not the launchers fault ... java is set to use the powersaver version of your GPU solutions by default.
    maybe one of those videos has a solution. i cant confirm that because of the lack of hardware to test it with.

amd intel gpu switch - YouTube

Reaction score
    Thank you for the speedy advice.

I ended up having to reinstall my AMD driver software suite, because some setup utilities weren't installed properly (I found this out by browsing the videos for a bit) and then downloading and installing the whole software suite). After that, I made sure all the pertinent .exe's (Starmade-launcher, and all java.exe's) were configued to be run in high-performance mode.

I also added the more up-to date java installation and it worked this time (I was mistakenly pointing the settings into the wrong subdirectory, :D ) Both problems have now been fixed. As I said before, thank you for your speedy advice.

Reaction score
    I have a problem whit the new launcher, how can i create a server? seriously why they removed the older options

Reaction score
    i know but it don´t work
    it just open a f***** java screen
    [doublepost=1475103238,1475103202][/doublepost]in the older version i just needed to start the game put my hamachi ip whit :4242 and done
    [doublepost=1475103300][/doublepost]And there´s no video on youtube teaching how to make this thing work i tied everything, this update is a realy s***

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    i know but it don´t work
    it just open a f***** java screen
    Which is how it's always worked. The screen is the server. Simply connect to this server with localhost:4242 or your_IP:4242

in the older version i just needed to start the game put my hamachi ip whit :4242 and done
    You can still do this, local play launches a server which the client simply connects to. Just launch singleplayer and it will launch a server under the port 4242 .