Bug New Launcher doesn't open

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I just started playing again in anticipation of the npc update. Last time I played was before the new launcher. Using Steam I can still launch with the old launcher but if I try the new nothing happens.

I've tried reinstalling java, installing JDK, disabling antivirus, re-downloading the launcher nothing helps.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    You tried using the stand-alone new launcher from the website instead of steam?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yes I've tried that, even tried running it as an admin. No luck

I'm still able to play with the old launcher, I'm just afraid they'll discontinue supporting it before I resolve this :/

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I'll assist you in anyway I can, I don't know if this is a bug or something to do with the way your computer is designed, becuase i am able to use the new launcher fine.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    what OS are you using ? Windows something i do assume ? (and not a 32bit version?)
    wherever you did place the Launcher .. its content should look like this
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    after starting starmade-launcher.exe it should show up 3 times in the process list of task-manager

you could redownload the whole thing and delete and replace the current one .. maybe something did go wrong.
    make sure it isnt blocked or sandboxed by a security suite of any kind

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi, can you please try the following:

Right click StarMade in Steam library > Properties > General > SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... > Enter --verbose into the text field > Press OK > Close

Start the game with the new launcher, once it fails to open and it is closed, go to Steam\steamapps\common\StarMade and upload the launcher.log file here or to me in a private message.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    hmm, doesn't say much

launcher.log said:
    Mon Nov 28 2016 19:30:47 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
    7:30:47 PM (meta) Opened log file for writing.
    Logging level: verbose (10)

7:30:48 PM event App ready
    I'm using Windows 10 x64, 16Gb Ram. I've tried launching the standalone client as well from different directories. In either case the task manager only show one appear for ~half a second, then steam says I'm no longer playing (green back to blue)

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    hmm, doesn't say much

I'm using Windows 10 x64, 16Gb Ram. I've tried launching the standalone client as well from different directories. In either case the task manager only show one appear for ~half a second, then steam says I'm no longer playing (green back to blue)
    Is that the full file? Or just a snippet?

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    hmm, doesn't say much

hmm... Conflicting Javas?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That's the full log.

I've uninstalled all java instances to reinstall several times

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    The launcher on Steam isn't written in Java, it's prepackaged to launch the game :)
    Well, I presumed Confilcting Javas as The Launcher appears and disappears in Task Manager. Meh, throwing suggestions out there.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    It could be an antivirus software blocking it from launching. If you have one, have you tried temporarily disabling it?

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Burfreezy

I've had this exact issue affecting my (Steam) StarMade install on my development machine.
    I inadvertently fixed that install while diagnosing the issue (and attempting to detect the hang); because of this, I'm unable to continue diagnosing the root cause.

However, I do have a possible fix: delete the entire contents of your SteamApps/common/StarMade folder (with the exception of the StarMade game folder within) and tell Steam to re-verify StarMade. This will reacquire all of its files, while keeping your game data intact.

With luck, everything will work afterward.
    If not... I'm thoroughly perplexed.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yes, in fact I just tried many times, once after closing a different background app including Windows Defender. Tried turning UAC off as well
    [doublepost=1480388505,1480388470][/doublepost]I'll try that :)
    [doublepost=1480389791][/doublepost]Tried... and failed. No change :'(

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Tried... and failed. No change :'(
    It's looking like there's software or driver issues causing the launcher to crash on startup. Not much we can do, seeing as the logs don't manage to generate an error. If you have another computer, you could try seeing if the launcher runs on that, it's likely that there is something conflicting on your current system.

You can also try downloading the launcher here: StarMade , putting it in a separate location. Start it as administrator and see what happens.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    already tried running the stand alone launcher as admin with same effects
    At this point, you're going to have to try and eliminate causes manually, which will take a while to do. I suggest using the Java launcher for now.