Good or bad idea?

• Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I had an idea for a new effect a while ago. I first posted it here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/the-current-state-of-weapons.3340/#post-50445
    But I came to the conclusion, that it deserves an own thread.

It's effects: ('?' means I'm not that sure and very open for changes on these aspects)
    • slaved:
      • causes projectiles and missiles to only deal a part of their damage to their target, and then bounce off of it.
        • number of bounces should depend on the effect's efficiency and configs.
        • homing missiles will stay locked onto their target to create nice bouncing effects.
      • causes beams to also only deal a part of their damage and be reflected by their target.
        • the maximum number of reflections should depend on the effect's efficiency and again, configs
      • adds a direction to pulses. the effect's efficiency determines how big/small the angle of affection will be
        • might come with a range/RoF increase?
    • passive:
      • increases turn rate?
      • reduces damage of bounced/reflected projectiles/missiles/beams?
      • reduces the amount of bounces/reflections of projectiles/missiles/beams after hitting?
    It's effect on pulses would also add this idea to the game: http://starmadedock.net/posts/50492/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    also for homing missiles increase their turn rate as well as bouncing

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can we use it to play ping-pong? :)

I think it will mostly be useful if you fire it in a certain angle somewhere into a concav corner of the enemy hull.
    That could limit design choices.

Maybe let it bounce between not docked entities...
    Each bounce could deal less damage. 200% at 0%, 0% damage at 200% travelled distance (in total)?
    It has 2x normal range, but expire if further than 1x range away from your ship or it's spawn position. Beam doubles the max distance it can travel AND the max distance it can go away from the projectiles spawn point.
    That would make it more usefull against swarms, but not as OP as a long range pulse.

Reaction score
    A bouncy would be great fun to play with, and it'd shake up the game too! +1

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Can we use it to play ping-pong? :)
    Until the projectile runs out of bounces, yes!

I think it will mostly be useful if you fire it in a certain angle somewhere into a concav corner of the enemy hull.
    That could limit design choices.
    And the enemy ship can just move a little so the shot doesn't land in the shape but instead is flung into outer space not dealing much damage

Each bounce could deal less damage. 200% at 0%, 0% damage at 200% travelled distance (in total)?
    Each bounce is supposed to deal a percentage of the damage of the projectile. The dealt damage is dealt, removing it from the projectile and thus reducing the damage on the next bounce(except for the last hit, when the projectile is out of bounces)

It has 2x normal range, but expire if further than 1x range away from your ship or it's spawn position. Beam doubles the max distance it can travel AND the max distance it can go away from the projectiles spawn point.
    That would make it more usefull against swarms, but not as OP as a long range pulse.
    Another option would be to NOT reset the range after the bounce, so it is less effective against small spread swarms?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    INCREASE TURN RATE! PLEASE! Or, add gyroscope blocks, but whatever.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In order to test the effects this would have on gameplay, I'll try to make a mod implementing this. If the effects turn out good enough, I think @schema will implement it.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Well, I already programmed all maths in, but…I need to find the hooks to actually make starmade not ignore my code :P

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Will that mechanism ultimately defeat tbe Borg or just make them the easiest to rotate into a perfect position?

Wrong:
    . /H\
    .|HHH|
    /SSSSS\

Good:
    \\ \\ // //
    .\\ \./ //
    . \\|_|//
    . .SSSSS

I imaging players using a lot of wedges at front.
    Alternatively a checker-board with wedges/corners:

Front-Rear: | Top-Down(middle 3):
    - X - X - - | / / / / / / / / / /
    X - X - X - | - - - - - - - - - -
    - X - X - - | \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Perhaps the passive effect could be that weapons fired upon you reflect, somewhat like bouncing AMC fire back at your opponents.

Reactions: Krazykat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    No, one reflects damage BACK at one who shoots you as the passive. While the active is for your own weapons.

Precisely.... so a way for "reflective shielding". Maybe this could only apply for when shields are on, and drains power relative to damage prevented.