New cannon/explosive mechanics

What do you think about it?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hello!

I guess cannon/explosive should to work in another way.

[Cannon/explosive]

Now we have cannon/explosive weapon that does damage to nearby blocks and makes a lot of lags if it's cannon/cannon/explosive.

I suggest you to change mechanics of cannon/explosive: make them explode without any penetration. So cannon/explosive will do damage like missiles. Penetration will become to damage radius.

starmade-screenshot-0000.png
    Image 1: "Cannon/explosive may explode against penetrating"

It will allow to make artillery which will do explosive damage against penetration, prevent a lot of lags. Now we can only use missiles to do damage in radius, but cannon/explosive should make new weapon solutions.

Also, to prevent lags, you can disallow explosive effect for cannon/cannon/explosive weapon.

[Added] To keep balance, cannon/explosive weapon should to have less explosive radius then missiles (or may be nerfed, or be less useful against shields...)

[Flak weapon (cannon/missile/explosive)]

I suggest you to change then cannon/missile or cannon/missile/explosive weapon to fire cannonballs which will explode near locked target (with accuracy depends of how much missile blocks is here). It will make flak weapon which will be good against small and fast ships.

Image 2: "Bomber, damaged by land flak cannon".

Conclusion.
    Addition of above two suggestions will add fun weapons, like artillery and flak, able to do explosive damage.
    You can forget a bug with old cannon/explosive effect.

You can discuss about it, suggest another weapon/weapon or weapon/weapon/effect link or another mechanics you want. If you think that I've write something wrong or you're disagree, you can say about it.

[Added] Please click "agree" if you're agree to show to developers that you agree with it. Also would be great if you will vote too.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, for one penetration is currently built into cannon fire, its what it does best.

If you just really want cannons to act like missiles, I'd recommend you build missile/cannon, and you'll get rapid dumbfire missiles that look and act exactly like you are proposing.

Reaction score
    I would like it if cannon would gain a small radius as its weapon group increased. Right now its much more efficient to spread cannons out by weapon groups. Adding explosive modules would make it closer to the first damage pictures that you posted. It would make the radius much larger than it would be by itself. I would like to see this done to beams as well.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Cannon/Explosive and Beam/Explosive are supposed to do something like this, except with the penetrating explosion effect that they have already.

Explosive Effect is supposed to provide up to a 10 meter blast radius. It doesn't because schema has hardcoded it to be limited to 1 meter blast radius for whatever reason. I can't remember why, but something-something-bugs is probably part of it.

Reaction score
    Well, for one penetration is currently built into cannon fire, its what it does best.

If you just really want cannons to act like missiles, I'd recommend you build missile/cannon, and you'll get rapid dumbfire missiles that look and act exactly like you are proposing.
    I know about it. But missiles are slow and can be destroyed. I tried it, but anti-missile stuff can stop them easily. Of course, cannon/explosive weapon should to have less explosive radius then missiles, else it will be OP weapon.

Explosive Effect is supposed to provide up to a 10 meter blast radius. It doesn't because schema has hardcoded it to be limited to 1 meter blast radius for whatever reason. I can't remember why, but something-something-bugs is probably part of it.
    This bug (lag) might be because of penetration. Because server have to calculate [penetration] * (4/3) * [radius(currently 1-2)] ^ 3 * [pi]. Disabling penetration for cannon/explosive should fix it and decrease lags (also, explosive effect might be blocked for cannon/cannon/explosive).

Cannonball must to explode once.
    You can leave penetration, but it must be decreased to keep balance. But I prefer to block penetration for cannon/explosive, else it will be OP weapon.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I kinda agree tbh.

A cannon this size should do a lil bit more than punch a 150m long hole )))))

(really though, a 150m hole from a gun this big is kinda retarded)

Reaction score
    I kinda agree tbh.

A cannon this size should do a lil bit more than punch a 150m long hole )))))

(really though, a 150m hole from a gun this big is kinda retarded)
    That's why I've write this suggestion... Cannons just penetrates small ships, but can't do damage as they should.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think the way explosive effect is intended to work is that the effect % increases explosive radius while reducing penetration. So at 100% effect, it will explode without penetration, similar to a missile weapon. But at lower effect percentages, it will behave more like it does now. The problem is that it is for some reason capped at 10%. Beyond 10% explosive, you are just throwing damage into the void. Removing all penetration from cannons with explosive effect is definitely a bad idea. For starters, it will mean that there is absolutely no sense in not going 100% explosive if you are going to do it at all, except for on quite small weapons.

Flak is certainly a good idea, but it should be it's own weapon system, with complete slave effects, as I already suggested.

Reaction score
    I'd prefer to see cannon/ explosive penetrate, then explode at the end of the penetration (bunker buster style). of course, if you're using a system way too big for the target, it passes through without exploding, giving some depth to the combat

Reaction score
    I am writing using another account. Just can't login because of bug.

I think the way explosive effect is intended to work is that the effect % increases explosive radius while reducing penetration. So at 100% effect, it will explode without penetration, similar to a missile weapon. But at lower effect percentages, it will behave more like it does now. The problem is that it is for some reason capped at 10%. Beyond 10% explosive, you are just throwing damage into the void. Removing all penetration from cannons with explosive effect is definitely a bad idea. For starters, it will mean that there is absolutely no sense in not going 100% explosive if you are going to do it at all, except for on quite small weapons.
    I agree you with smooth decreasing of penetration. But now here is a bug with 10% limit. That's why I suggest to disallow penetration (until bug will be fixed).

Missiles work fine. So it will be easy to copy/paste damage algorithm from missile to cannon/explosive.

Else I have to buid missile cannons. But missiles are slow and destroyable... :(:notworthy::cry::censored:

Flak is certainly a good idea, but it should be it's own weapon system, with complete slave effects, as I already suggested.
    I already suggested it:
    I suggest you to change then cannon/missile or cannon/missile/explosive weapon
    Also, we can make cannon/missile weapon to explode near locked target and cannon/pulse weapon to explode at collision (like missiles).

You can suggest your weapon.

Need to choose the best.

I'd prefer to see cannon/ explosive penetrate, then explode at the end of the penetration (bunker buster style).
    Agree. But it will be able only after fixing cannon/explosive bug and balancing explosive radius for cannon/explosive.

of course, if you're using a system way too big for the target, it passes through without exploding, giving some depth to the combat
    What if it is a long-range flak? ;)