Need some help to spice up shipyard station

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello!
    I've been building this shipyard station. This is the progress so far. Its only got dark grey standard on it in basic shapes. Id appreciate if anyone got ideas for how I can spice up the station in terms of details and maybe extra things to add on (cosmetics) to make it look better, or just general ideas. The colour palette I use is dark grey like you can already see, but I use teal accents here and there (haven't added any yet).

For example, not sure if the long metal beams connecting to the stabilizers (containing the power stream) are done that well. The two squares at the front are stabilizers, not sure how to make them look good. Also the shipyard "arms", not sure how to decorate them or just leave them.

Reaction score
    I have a few ideas for decorating the shipyard block portion of the station (the spaghetti part). What if you were to put some large structures on the sides of the shipyard? The best way I can describe it is what you would expect the peeled-off skin of a slice of apple to look like (curved inward and coming to a point at the top and bottom). You could make those white and put some blue lighting in it to make it look pristine and futuristic. Some exposed pseudo-circuitry, as expressed by lighting, could also work. On the bottom, you could do a similar shape that isn't concave and then have "wings" of a sort coming out of it pointing out toward the sides with the apple peels. As for the grey compartment in the back, you could remodel that in a bit of a gothic style and make some sort of castle with a large viewing area above the main part and some decorative interiors.

Reaction score
    Build some scaffolding around the spines where the shipyard blocks are going to be hidden in. It's pretty easy to paste.

Look up some nice pattern, this one here is the most plain one, and the post after the linked one has some nice example shipyard arm design:
    The Gmodism Industries [ GI ]

This one is another nice pattern I saw recently:
    Trinitus Shipyards

Or try this:
    starmade shipyard - Google Search

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    I've always been a big fan of this look. Basically you take each pair of arms and create a "panel" out of it, then use the next pair mostly as a gap zone with various negative space here and there. Given the scale of your shipyard you may do better with tripple sets instead of pairs, but the idea is that it gives the illusion of a respectable amount of mass for very little actual material while also being helpful at keeping ships from getting tangled in your spaghetti arms.

upload_2018-2-15_14-46-38.png

As for your stabs, you could continue that block into a continuous box or series of modular identical looking boxes across the whole side of the base and make that structure appear to be part of the pattern of the station as a whole.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    I've always been a big fan of this look. Basically you take each pair of arms and create a "panel" out of it, then use the next pair mostly as a gap zone with various negative space here and there. Given the scale of your shipyard you may do better with tripple sets instead of pairs, but the idea is that it gives the illusion of a respectable amount of mass for very little actual material while also being helpful at keeping ships from getting tangled in your spaghetti arms.

View attachment 47691

As for your stabs, you could continue that block into a continuous box or series of modular identical looking boxes across the whole side of the base and make that structure appear to be part of the pattern of the station as a whole.
    Yeah that is quite a nice looking shipyard, has a great style. Can also look at U shaped ones.

Reaction score

For the record, this is a Trident shipyard, not one of my own, in case anyone was wondering.