Need some advice

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have my RP quad-laser turret working as intended except that the capacitors aren't drawing any power from the test station I have it on. Suggestions?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As long as it is docked by rails it should be drawing power from what its docked to if it runs out of power itself. Power will be drawn through the rail to the docker not the other way around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As long as it is docked by rails it should be drawing power from what its docked to if it runs out of power itself. Power will be drawn through the rail to the docker not the other way around.

I have two turret docks for X and Y axis mobility. On the Y axis entity, I have the rails which the actual guns are mounted on. No power is being drawn from the station.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm assuming that is running out of power and thus not firing when it should?

Can you attach a sment file of the design to be checked out?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm assuming that is running out of power and thus not firing when it should?

Can you attach a sment file of the design to be checked out?
    Sure, give me one sec to export it. How do I attach it through this forum?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When you are replying there is a button 2 to the right of the post reply button which is called "upload a file".

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It took a while to type out the reply after testing.

Okay as far as I can tell they are drawing power it just doesn't look like it.

Mass enhancers
    I'm sitting in the y rotation axis part. The mass enhancers are using around 24+k energy per second. You only need enough mass enhancers for the largest object docked to it. Not the total of all objected docked to it. The number of mass enhancers required for max speed movement for that mass is (mass - 50) divided by 5. I couldn't find the mass of the barrels but assuming there is 2 identical pairs you only need 29 mass enhancers on the y axis rotator. Not 487. That will save you a bunch of blocks and power use. If its 4 individual railed barrels then its 10 mass enhancers.

On the x axis rotator you have 96 enhancers and you need 117 of them for max rotation speed for that mass. Mind you if you remove a bunch of mass enhances from the y axis rotator this will bring the numbers down.

The reason why I mention the mass enhancers is there each using a bunch of power around 24k in y axis to 28k e/sec on the x-axis .

Power
    It is drawing power from the whatever you dock to just it doesn't display it to well. This is a common issue with all docked entities.
    The power meter on the right hand side shows total capacitor available including all docked entities it can draw power from.

The y axis rotator has 466k energy storage but its empty cause its using 24k e/sec from the mass enhancers and only generating 6800 e/sec.
    So this is constantly empty. Its draining the excess power further down the chain.

The y axis rotator has a 50k energy storage by default but no energy regen so it is being drained by the y axis and its also empty. Causing the missing power draw to come from what the x axis is docked from.

In my case the base only has a 50k energy store. But since its generating enough power to power everything the 50k store in the base is full.

The power bar you see on the left only shows the storage out of all the entities down the chain. Which in this case with my base is 8.8% which is the 50k in the base. The other 516k of energy storage in the x axis and y axis parts is empty and will always be so due to the power draw of the mass enhancers. So the max energy storage you will see will be whatever is in your base. It will only hit 100% storage if all the parts down the chain are at max energy storage.

You can test this by making your y axis part have a regen of over 25k e/sec. It will then fill up the remainder of the power readout with the exception of the 50k in the x axis.

This means you can also remove the power capacitors from the y axis if you want cause it won't store any energy until the regen is higher than the power consumed by the mass enhancers. If you reduce the mass enhancers it should have enough onboard power left to charge up the y axis.

Hope this helps. I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    additionally .. if you did place more than one bobby AI on the barrels (i wold assume so .. because they do not move all as one entity)
    than that isnt going to work flawless either .. because they most likely wont target the same thing and fight over the movement controll

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Upon further disassembly you have a few logic issues.

Looking from behind the top left and bottom right gun barrels logic isn't connected to the cannon computer.
    You can simplify the barrel logic by connecting the wireless link to one button and linking that button to the cannon computer and the wireless link. You don't actually need the second button.

I'm not sure how much storage you have in your turret base but these guns use quite a bit of power far more than 50k a shot. The power consumption doesn't show the power use for the overdrive which if I remember right is a multiple times more. I forget if it was x5 or x9 at 100%.

Note you only have one wireless module in the y axis part when I linked that to one of the working barrels it fired fine if there was enough energy in storage. You will need one wireless link to each gun barrel for a total of 4 wireless links. You can only link one wireless module to one other but you can link them backwards as well so the signal travels both ways. You can't link 1 wireless link to 4 others. You will also have to manually link the wireless modules while not in build mode. C and V still work out of build mode.

You will also need to them to alternate with the barrel recoil. The one wireless link that I found will fire the gun regardless of which barrel is recoiling. However the logic to activate the recoil which you have has two sets. An upper and lower recoil, both should go to separate buttons then both connect to 2 wireless links each, which then need to be linked to the correct guns.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I really suck at being artistic but I'm great with systems.

Did a quick redo on the internals of the turret. Even with all the extra internal regen it will run out of power.
    Not the best but just a decent fix for the time used.

X Axis
    534k energy
    59k e/sec

Y Axis
    826k energy
    27k e/sec

Teleporter now on the y-axis so no matter what rotation it has you can teleport in.
    Logic re-wired. Guns fire and recoil. Just activate the firing button and leave it on for continuous fire.
    You now don't have to hit the fire button each time. Turn button off to stop firing.
    A lot less mass enhancers that weren't having any effect removed. Power drain from mass enhancers 6.6k e/sec.
    Could be balanced better but I left some extra in, just encase of redesign.

If you need to reduce the mass just start removing power capacitors. There is a lot of extra power storage so
    that it will take a while before the gun has to draw on the ship power. Considering the firing rate if you don't
    mind the turret drawing power from the ship/station shortly after firing you can remove all the power capacitors
    to save weight or replace with a shield system.

Attachments

Reactions: Kyoretsu
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I really suck at being artistic but I'm great with systems.

Did a quick redo on the internals of the turret. Even with all the extra internal regen it will run out of power.
    Not the best but just a decent fix for the time used.

X Axis
    534k energy
    59k e/sec

Y Axis
    826k energy
    27k e/sec

Teleporter now on the y-axis so no matter what rotation it has you can teleport in.
    Logic re-wired. Guns fire and recoil. Just activate the firing button and leave it on for continuous fire.
    You now don't have to hit the fire button each time. Turn button off to stop firing.
    A lot less mass enhancers that weren't having any effect removed. Power drain from mass enhancers 6.6k e/sec.
    Could be balanced better but I left some extra in, just encase of redesign.

If you need to reduce the mass just start removing power capacitors. There is a lot of extra power storage so
    that it will take a while before the gun has to draw on the ship power. Considering the firing rate if you don't
    mind the turret drawing power from the ship/station shortly after firing you can remove all the power capacitors
    to save weight or replace with a shield system.

Just woke up. I was waiting a while but sleep overtook me, lol. I put the Bobby AI turret in the Y-Axis and renamed the Inner Ship Remote in hopes that instead of using block data ID to fire, it was using a name recognition algorithm, and in doing that would function as intended. The reason I made it pulse is because the Cannon Computer works as a pulse, though I do like the idea of constant, sustained fire. I will spawn your turret in and look at your logic redesign so I am not fumbling around like a child with logic all the time, lol. This is the first "complicated" logic system I have ever made. Ultimately my goal is to put these bad boys on my Harrower and stand on the bridge and watch a battle ensue.

As far as Bobby goes, do you know the limitations of that system? Is it possible to get him to use the logic system you put inside of the turret to effect?
    [doublepost=1468862575,1468859308][/doublepost]
    additionally .. if you did place more than one bobby AI on the barrels (i wold assume so .. because they do not move all as one entity)
    than that isnt going to work flawless either .. because they most likely wont target the same thing and fight over the movement controll

No, I used one bobby ai attached to the Y-Axis entity and renamed the inner ship remote that controls all four of them. One button cycles through a flip-flop and a not to fire all four asynchronously.

Reaction score
    Bobby AI is dumb, he can fly in a straight line(in fairly free space), aim and fire, that's about all he can do. Any other stuff like logic, jump drives and more complicated stuff, he cannot do...

Any logic in those turrets has to be manually activated(via button/wireless tied to a ship remote, or manually through a button), but Ol' Bobby can do the aiming for you...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you put a gun into the y axis part with the bobby AI. The bobby AI will rotate the turret and engage hostiles. Without the gun it won't have an engagement range and thus will not attack stuff.

You can activate the guns using an enemy detector which you can get from the community downloads. Essentially an enemy detector is a turret with a bobby AI that will rotate to engage hostiles. A rail is moving around the turret and if the turret moves the rail is blocked from moving and the logic detects that and sends an activation signal. They can be tempermental but I use them to activate heat seeker missiles.

Otherwise you can use a remote command on the main ship to command all the turrets to fire but some won't be able to rotate to bear on the target and thus end up firing in some other direction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you put a gun into the y axis part with the bobby AI. The bobby AI will rotate the turret and engage hostiles. Without the gun it won't have an engagement range and thus will not attack stuff.

You can activate the guns using an enemy detector which you can get from the community downloads. Essentially an enemy detector is a turret with a bobby AI that will rotate to engage hostiles. A rail is moving around the turret and if the turret moves the rail is blocked from moving and the logic detects that and sends an activation signal. They can be tempermental but I use them to activate heat seeker missiles.

Otherwise you can use a remote command on the main ship to command all the turrets to fire but some won't be able to rotate to bear on the target and thus end up firing in some other direction.

If I have him on the Y-Axis entity, will he at least look at enemies? Because if I can simply activate all of my turrets fire capability, then essentially I can have the best of both worlds. Turrets firing at enemies, turrets that have action, and AI to target for me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The bobby AI needs a weapon to determine what range it scans for enemies. With no weapon it doesn't rotate to engage anything. So you will want a cannon on the y axis so the turrets will rotate to engage enemies when they are in range of the existing cannons.

You can place a small railed dock infront of the bobby AIs cannon so it hits that instead. This will allow the weapon to rotate to engage enemies and not have some weird shots coming out of it.