Need more updated info, using docked entities power and shields

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have searched this data base along with youtube, and I can't find any usefull info on how to use them. It is now Jan 2016, there has been so many updates, to the point, all info currently in all data bases are out dated.

I have made a Salvage Carrier, with 3 large salvage ships attached, each ship has its own power, shields, and thrust. I managed to learn how to use the thrusters from docked entities, this dramatically helped my Carrier. Now to figure out the power and shields. No help found, or very out dated, like 2 years ago when this game was still young.:mad:

I have seen some videos stating they can make modular add ons, I would like to research this further, modular designs will be the new future for Starmade, implementing weapons arrays aswell.

Please help, and we need more updated videos on this too.
    Capt Black001

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but docked entities can draw power from mothership entity (avoid making the mother entity go power failure that screw power generation). Also, you can link your salvager trigger to a wireless block so you can activate them all from main entity

edit: just realized you would like to use the power and shield of your docked things for mothership entity. For power, use power transmitter. For shields, use shield transmitter. Much better to go the other way around you don't need any transmiter at all

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but docked entities can draw power from mothership entity (avoid making the mother entity go power failure that screw power generation). Also, you can link your salvager trigger to a wireless block so you can activate them all from main entity

edit: just realized you would like to use the power and shield of your docked things for mothership entity. For power, use power transmitter. For shields, use shield transmitter. Much better to go the other way around you don't need any transmiter at all
    How confusing, its the docked entities I want to transfer power and shields to the mother ship. Can't get much clearer than that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here is your setup if I get it right. Ship > (docked to) carrier. Well if you want your ships to give their power and shields to carrier, you'll need to put some power/shield transmitters on them (and logic clock). And it'll make them less efficient as individual ships by themself because they need block count for this and it's basically dead weight as soon as they're not docked. That's why I would use docked reactor and shield generator more than relying on the ships you carry on board to do that. (docked reactors and shits are just docked ships that you do not undock)

(think I got it but neither can I make it more clear)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The mother ship isn't just for Salvage ships, it could be swapped out for amc , or any other weapon array. I'm making Modulars for it, each with its own power, thrusts, and shields. (when modulars are being swapped, they can fly on there own power)
    Any docked entity on the mother ship gets there power and shields from the mother ship. if mother ship drops below 50% or all shields are down, then docked entities are on there own. Hence they can look after them selves.
    Now what I have now, is 3 salvage Modulars, each has a mass of 306, power: 397,607/29.581 e/sec, Shields: 10,214/544 s/sec, thrust:656.5 . I have 1890 salvage modules hooked up to 4 computers. fully automated to clear 11x21 area in seconds, only 2 arrays activate at one time, they alternate between cool down times. All on a clock and delay logics. and a wireless remote for mother ship to use. Placing 3 in a row now gives me a 11h x 63w area. Each salvager can handle 8k in storage for overflow and mother ship has 28k of storage that can be auto pulled when mothership docks at home planet., ( I can plow through an entire sector of asteroids in under 30min)
    The mother ship specs, Mass: 514 (1,434 w/rails), Power: 1,262,646/107,556 e/sec, shields:89,697/5,159 s/sec, Thrust: 3,417. Systems: Jammer, 4 Jump drives.
    It does state that docked entities are too heavy for the rails, but its only docked there, doesn't even move and all works perfectly. I'm also using docked thrusters that helps a lot. It will be covered with blast doors, so I can interchange them, hook up wireless and I'm ready to go again. If I get into trouble with the pirates, the shields should hold and jump out 4 times if need be.

IMG_1694.JPG

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Any docked entity on the mother ship gets there power and shields from the mother ship. if mother ship drops below 50% or all shields are down, then docked entities are on there own.
    It's actually 25%. Also the shields you putted on docked entities will be consumed until 25% BEFORE using the carrier shields. So I think you better put off the shields of modules and add them on mother entity instead. (I don't see how "good"
    they are supposed to be when undocked of your design but that seems wrong to me to build around that)

Docked weapon array is super sweet but you can't focus fire in case of cannons. If you put a bobby on it and set it to "fire at my target" that'll fix it. Same thing with missiles except for missile/missile (or missile/cannon as AMS distraction)

I have 1890 salvage modules hooked up to 4 computers. fully automated to clear 11x21 area in seconds
    Not using salvagers much, so I may be wrong. But why not one computer per output? Can be activated the same with logic and cost less power.

It does state that docked entities are too heavy for the rails
    Good guess what ain't moving don't need enhancers. BUT you either can't put turrets on this entity (they would need all the docked mass to be enhanced before moving 100% speed) either having more than one entity for the mothership (Turret > turret docked entity (with mass enhancers) > mothership entity (the one you're piloting from and no enhancers) < your modules) You're saving a lot of block count this way

Also it seems thrust sharing is a bit buggy and give a lot more thrust per block count than if you stick it all on the mothership entity. But that sounds wrong here people ask it to be nerfed: https://starmadedock.net/threads/fix-or-remove-docked-thrust.22585/#post-256893

So yeah you have profit doing it this way until it's changed then it will be equal. But I would go for thrusters on mothership entity because you're "harder" to make overheat this way.

edit: nice WIP m8, but the pic will be more neat if you screencap

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    To transfer power from a docked entity to the ship its docked to you need a power supply beam.

Reaction score
    you cannot transfer thrust from docked entity to main ship
    But for power and shield you can use power and shield supply beam with some logic block setup

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    The mother ship isn't just for Salvage ships, it could be swapped out for amc , or any other weapon array. I'm making Modulars for it, each with its own power, thrusts, and shields. (when modulars are being swapped, they can fly on there own power)
    Any docked entity on the mother ship gets there power and shields from the mother ship. if mother ship drops below 50% or all shields are down, then docked entities are on there own. Hence they can look after them selves.
    Now what I have now, is 3 salvage Modulars, each has a mass of 306, power: 397,607/29.581 e/sec, Shields: 10,214/544 s/sec, thrust:656.5 . I have 1890 salvage modules hooked up to 4 computers. fully automated to clear 11x21 area in seconds, only 2 arrays activate at one time, they alternate between cool down times. All on a clock and delay logics. and a wireless remote for mother ship to use. Placing 3 in a row now gives me a 11h x 63w area. Each salvager can handle 8k in storage for overflow and mother ship has 28k of storage that can be auto pulled when mothership docks at home planet., ( I can plow through an entire sector of asteroids in under 30min)
    The mother ship specs, Mass: 514 (1,434 w/rails), Power: 1,262,646/107,556 e/sec, shields:89,697/5,159 s/sec, Thrust: 3,417. Systems: Jammer, 4 Jump drives.
    It does state that docked entities are too heavy for the rails, but its only docked there, doesn't even move and all works perfectly. I'm also using docked thrusters that helps a lot. It will be covered with blast doors, so I can interchange them, hook up wireless and I'm ready to go again. If I get into trouble with the pirates, the shields should hold and jump out 4 times if need be.

View attachment 20763
    f6 takes an ingame screenshot without hud.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's actually 25%. Also the shields you putted on docked entities will be consumed until 25% BEFORE using the carrier shields. So I think you better put off the shields of modules and add them on mother entity instead. (I don't see how "good"
    they are supposed to be when undocked of your design but that seems wrong to me to build around that)

Docked weapon array is super sweet but you can't focus fire in case of cannons. If you put a bobby on it and set it to "fire at my target" that'll fix it. Same thing with missiles except for missile/missile (or missile/cannon as AMS distraction)

Not using salvagers much, so I may be wrong. But why not one computer per output? Can be activated the same with logic and cost less power.

Good guess what ain't moving don't need enhancers. BUT you either can't put turrets on this entity (they would need all the docked mass to be enhanced before moving 100% speed) either having more than one entity for the mothership (Turret > turret docked entity (with mass enhancers) > mothership entity (the one you're piloting from and no enhancers) < your modules) You're saving a lot of block count this way

Also it seems thrust sharing is a bit buggy and give a lot more thrust per block count than if you stick it all on the mothership entity. But that sounds wrong here people ask it to be nerfed: https://starmadedock.net/threads/fix-or-remove-docked-thrust.22585/#post-256893

So yeah you have profit doing it this way until it's changed then it will be equal. But I would go for thrusters on mothership entity because you're "harder" to make overheat this way.

edit: nice WIP m8, but the pic will be more neat if you screencap
    Just learned how to screencap with F6, very good to know for next time, Thanks.
    I have probably seen every video out there and subscribed to many of em too. I've been playing this for over 2 years aswell, I learned a lot from Bench. Thank you Bench for the logic tutorials.

If I were to hook up all those salvage modules using only 1 computer, it will no longer be a solid area, meaning a lot of moving the mouse side to side. And you will have 4.5 sec of cooldown time. by placing 2 arrays( 1 in a checker pattern the second filling the gaps, you will receive a solid 11 x 21 box. Now we have the cool down time. right behind the first 2 arrays, I place the same pattern. Now using the logic clock along with a NOT and 4 DELAYS, I'm able to create a solid pattern, with 2 sets of arrays running in sequence over and over until I stop the clock using INNER SHIP REMOTE. By the way, Thanks Drakart for the initial idea with your Maverik, I think it was. Yeah I made it cheaper.

Why you may ask to go this route, First of all, Salvage modules are a lot cheaper and easier to manufacture compared to Cannon modules, and using cannons for arrays 3 and 4 will only increase the MASS of the ship, so Salvage modules is used instead, using less MASS.

The "mothership" entity does have its own Thrusters (just enough to get out of gravity from Planet Base), Shields and Power to be on its own. By using Docked Thrusters, It feels like it doubled the thrust (yeah!). Now I want to test out other technologies starting with Shields and Power. Then defences and offensive weapons can be added.
    As for the heat, when you keep your distance and perma jam going, do I have to worry about heat? I can have perma jam going, thrusters going, and power up a jump drive at the same time, my power stays full. I can jump 4 times.

I have checked out the wiki page, Thanks Bench once again. It has been updated, I'm not seeing the old textures any more, and new stuff has been added. Some of it still has to be updated to reflect the recent upgrades, HP, Armor count, etc.

I will leave with a song,
    "When you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." clap clap
    [DOUBLEPOST=1451991274,1451991167][/DOUBLEPOST]
    f6 takes an ingame screenshot without hud.

Thank you, I learned something new.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1451991697][/DOUBLEPOST]
    you cannot transfer thrust from docked entity to main ship
    But for power and shield you can use power and shield supply beam with some logic block setup

Yes, I will be exploring with them. Lets see what I can do with it, will it work or not, that I will find out, can I use extra power and shield add-ons to help max efficiency on the more power hungry weapon arrays, I'll test it out.

Cheers