My Thoughts on the New SM

Reaction score
    I've also been waiting for this update to come out before I start refitting my ships for power 2.0. But now that I know weapons will be redone, I'm waiting again.

When I design the systems of a ship first I start off with how powerful the weapons, shields need to be. Then I calculate the power required and make the Reactor. Next I start balancing the power/mass/effects until have my ship min/maxed.

So now I'm waiting on the weapons update to see how much power they will use.
    Use the time to learn how reactors and chambers work, figure out how to best place the things down to get the optimal stuff out of them. otherwises you're going to be dead of boredom before weapons 3 comes out in 6-8 months.
    You kind of make his point. New reactors should have never been released ahead of new weapons, because one can not be designed without the other. At this point there's nothing really useful to do other than refitting civilian ships and bases (which only took a few days).

Reactions: Napther

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You kind of make his point. New reactors should have never been released ahead of new weapons, because one can not be designed without the other. At this point there's nothing really useful to do other than refitting civilian ships and bases (which only took a few days).
    Im saying you can use the time to get comfortable with the new system, so you can easily build something reliable when the weapons update comes out. Learn how you can best set up chambers, which combinations works best and so on.

Reaction score
    Just do what I do/attempt to do (terribly), build giant ship shells and fill them with interiors. Don't forget to leave room for systems, though.

Reaction score
    I do not mean to be disrespectful if that is your actual approach, but was that a joke?

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    I do not mean to be disrespectful if that is your actual approach, but was that a joke?
    Who, me? 50/50. I actually have yet to really complete any ships yet, but a couple I have been working on lately are more than half a kilometer long (one is already more than a kilometer). They're both very very early in the building stages though, as I'm more of a logic person than a builder. It's very slow work for me, actually. I come up with ideas and work on them (usually without much planning) until I exhaust my drive to work on them, and then move on to the next project until I decide to come back. The biggest problem for me is making everything look right. Interiors are pretty easy for me, but the actual exteriors look terrible or in some cases never happen. It is enjoyable, though. I love making a bunch of big builds and making them look cool. And for the record, the only thing I've actually completed so far on the 1km build is the main thruster group in the very back (which clock in at a length of 350m or so).

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    released and forced upon us early, disabling 4 weapons effects, another 3 effects dont work properly (Momentum), half the weapons are glitching out (Beam/beam, and beam+Explosive), AI cant seem to find their targets anymore (fire sideways and missing a ship by clear 200m when firing forwards) and ships burning to integrity overload the damage calculations to the point they become invincible to further damage?

Gotta love the new SM.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Its how I build many times. Unless I know that there is specifically going to be a rigidly shaped system (like a salvage array) that I have to design around, I'll build the shell first and then add systems as needed.

I don't find any enjoyment in min/maxing a ship that has no constraints on what I can do. I find it much more enjoyable to start with a shell and make it as strong as possible. I find enjoyment in being presented with a constraint and being as creative as I can in making it work.

But again, I don't focus on "this ship must absolutely outgun and outfight anything in it's weight class or it isn't worth using", I focus on making ships I enjoy using. A high performing shoebox is a failed ship IMO, even if it can outgun and out-tank anything on the server.

Reaction score
    Oh, my comment was in reference to power 2.0. That worked well in 1.0 where you could flood fill around an interior. In 2.0, that kind of building will lead to massive systeming issues with the new integrity model

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I totally build this way. But then again I'm not a hard core PVP'er so it is what it is. I start off with a Shell, then I do interior, then I do Systems, then balancing. There's no wrong way to build a ship. :D

Oh, my comment was in reference to power 2.0. That worked well in 1.0 where you could flood fill around an interior. In 2.0, that kind of building will lead to massive systeming issues with the new integrity model
    My bad, I misunderstood you. The truth is, I don't know how to build with power 2.0 I haven't really had much of a reason to try it out yet. Will keep this conversation in mind when I crank up StarMade again.

Reaction score
    released and forced upon us early, disabling 4 weapons effects, another 3 effects dont work properly (Momentum), half the weapons are glitching out (Beam/beam, and beam+Explosive), AI cant seem to find their targets anymore (fire sideways and missing a ship by clear 200m when firing forwards) and ships burning to integrity overload the damage calculations to the point they become invincible to further damage?

Gotta love the new SM.
    Did you fill out a bug report for any of those things yet? If not, that's probably why they haven't been fixed.
    ADDITION: as for being released early, I heard that it was only released early because the community kept pushing for a release after the projected release date was missed. The devs want to keep us happy, but sometimes what we want isn't what's going to keep us happy.

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Did you fill out a bug report for any of those things yet? If not, that's probably why they haven't been fixed.
    ADDITION: as for being released early, I heard that it was only released early because the community kept pushing for a release after the projected release date was missed. The devs want to keep us happy, but sometimes what we want isn't what's going to keep us happy.
    Excuse me but its not within my interests to spend 20 minutes (minimum for straight and clear cut ones) writing a bug report to then have them spit back 5 days later (Yes, it can take this long as a MINIMUM for feedback - I've sometimes waited months) that "Oh, we already knew this issue".
    Also, I know you cant see them as they are private on creation but I have actually got bugs currently sat waiting for listing.

Also, learn who exactly you are talking to, go open the game credits and read down a little in special mentions ;)
    I've had more than my share of bug reports and the tedium of testing. I'd rather just completely avoid that because there's this nice shiny new bandwagon which takes far less effort on my part, especially given the fact I was entirely opposed to the stabiliser system as-implemented.

Game being broke also allows me to pursue more productive leisure activities.

And to be frank, I can probably count the "happy" people on 1 hand. And not in the Roman style counting system either.

Reactions: Agame3