• Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think that there should be three kinds of warp;

- Micro warp
    - Warp
    - Transwarp

Microwarp
    Acts like the overdrive computer. There should be a "microwarp cpu" specifically for high speed transport instead of the overdrive computer working as high speed transport and increased weapon damage. When microwarping, there should an animation in the direction the player travels when they excede the server max speed limit. Also you can't slow down until you have turned off micro warp and it should take a 10x the power of overdrive.
    This is just to symoblise the act of microwarping. It is only for the client, but could be seen by other players.

Warp
    This is the typical warp. There should be a warp cpu and warp coils. The warp coils should be built in a specific way. They should not be built in boxdims or just placed, but should be built in circles to actually form proper warp coils.
    circles3.png
    The closer the warp coil built is to a perfect circle the more effective it is. This is obviously because we can't build perfect circles very easily off by heart. However If the warp coil structure does not look like a circle to a certain percentage, then the warp coil does not work. The warp coil would be most effective if it was 1 block thick, but would scale quadratically lower if it becomes thicker. Now how should the diameter of warp coils contribute to the effectivity? I think the best way is like a sigmoid. This is because we would not want tiny mini warp coils, but neither would we want elysium sized warp coils. The effectivity should scale like this;
    Sigmoid_curve_for_an_autocatalytical_reaction.jpg
    Ignore the 0.2, 0.4 etc. So what does effectivity do? It contributes to your size of your warptank. So if your warp tank is very large, then you have the ability to warp longer distances. To fill the warptank, it requires power. 1 warp unit, requires 500 energy units, so it takes a while to charge. There should be a hotkey to assign to when you want all your power to go into charging the warptank. When charging the warp tank your shields will not regenerate and you are vulnerable since you cannot move because of the lack of power to thrust. The warp units required to warp 100km with 1000 mass should follow this equation:

m^0.5 * km^0.5 * 50 = warptank required
    1000^0.5 * 100^0.5 * 50 ~ 16,000 warp tank required ~ 8,000,000 million power required

This may seem like a lot of power, but since you can decide when to dedicate your power to the warp tank, it is perfectly balanced.

Now when you warp you enter a warp bubble. Say we are on a server. We are then disappeared from the server, and then we enter our clientsided rendered warp bubble. This warp bubble is basically a small area (maybe 50 m bigger tha ships dimensions) with a worm hole animation as the skybox. You cannot turn in the warp bubble, and you can neither go backwards. Basically you can't move very much.

For every five kilometres traveled it will require you to wait 1 more second in the warp bubble. So 100km takes 20 seconds.

When you get to your destination you are spawned in the nearest clear area, and a poof animation appears around your ship when you come out of warp.

I also think that if a ship uses warp in a sector, any player in that sector should be able to see a notification on the top left saying that "ship" is warping to x y z. They basically left their warp signatures, which show where they warped to.

Transwarp
    This is very similar to warp however, you are moving at an infinite velocity. This may sound fancy, but is not advised for regular faction usage. Transwarp is not the ideal warp drive, but is ideal for empires who would never want anyone to escape their grasp. If a ship were to warp away they would quickly transwarp to the location the warp signatures indicated...then SUPRISE MUTHAF***ER. You literally teleport like you do now with /change_sector.

Transwarp also leaves warp signatures.

Transwarp coils work the same way warp coils do in the circle style of building but require slightly more power. They are also more expensive than warp coils, 5x more. When transwarping you experience a little poof around you and then poof you are in the desired location. The travel is instantaneous.

750 energy units = 1 transwarp unit. The equation is the same as regular warp.
    m^0.5 * km^0.5 * 50= transwarptank required
    1000^0.5 * 100^0.5 * 50 ~ 16,000 transwarptank required ~ 12,000,000 million power required

Thanks for reading. The only reason I wrote this was because I was bored, and I thought about this while eating breakfast one day and it sounded so good.

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    By microwarp, you mean small jumps one could possibly use in battle for avoiding enemy fire? I think that would be really cool. However, I think that transwarp and warp should either be joined into one or transwarp would act like a gate on a stationary structure. Either way, I think that there should be only one computer+warp block pair just to avoid confusion, maybe even with their own slave linkups that would alter warp behaviour (turn it into a micro warp drive, fast charging but alot of energy consuming drive and so on)

Reaction score
    Would love to be able to fit the transwarp coils onto stations and have them create a spatial wormhole you can fly your ship into and appear at a linked receiver buoy/station.

Think transwarp aperture Borg structures. :D

Reaction score
    Also there should be some sort of wait time and animation surrounding a ship when they are about to activate warp/transwarp. So ships don't suddenly just disappear and make people go "wat".

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think it would make the most sense for transwarp to be portal to another linked portal. Even with the higher energy costs it seems really unbalanced for instawarp. It'd be cool if you could have the portals on ships, too, not just stations and planets.

How does this system account for larger sector sizes?

If I had to say one qualm I have against this system, it would be that it somewhat forces people to build ships that can fit large circles, which either makes ships have a bulging section for ring storage or build rings on their ships, which could have some negative effects on creativity.

Reaction score
    I think it would make the most sense for transwarp to be portal to another linked portal. Even with the higher energy costs it seems really unbalanced for instawarp. It'd be cool if you could have the portals on ships, too, not just stations and planets.

How does this system account for larger sector sizes?

If I had to say one qualm I have against this system, it would be that it somewhat forces people to build ships that can fit large circles, which either makes ships have a bulging section for ring storage or build rings on their ships, which could have some negative effects on creativity.
    To be fair, that's not a design limitation, that's a choice. You could create a good enough warp drive inside any ship (given the numbers are balanced properly), you would just have to do some internal planning. Same with any vehicle construction. There is nothing in the game that requires you to even build a warp drive on your ship at all, you could just use carriers or jump gates with the proposed transwarp system even.

If you want a true super-warp ship, then yes the coils would define the shape and aesthetics of that ship, but it's similar to any other construction again, when you focus on one thing, your building style has to take on it's image.

I do agree with the Transwarp spawning connected portals though, seems best for that type of system.

Also, the warp distance calculation should scale and be coupled with sector size, so if a server changes that, the warp equation would also change. To keep things balanced relative to distances.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Does the system work with coils facing any direction?

Reaction score
    One problem with gates is that every ship of a size that can use them is a big puddle jumper.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What about a Warp+Supercruise system used in Elite:Dangerous?

You can fly normally at relatively low speeds, no harm done. Then you can enter Supercruise to fly beyond the speed of light but still be in control of your craft. Then you have the actual Warp, where you charge up, line up your craft and drop into hyperspace.

It's a very good system as it emulates how actual Warping would work - you would only be able to jump to the general area of your target location. It's a bit like trying to snipe a beer can from 5 miles away, it's not going to be very precise. To compensate, you do low-speed warping yourself, flying at speeds ranging between 200km/s to 40-50 times the speed of light, covering millions of kilometers between planets inside of the system in minutes.

As much as Star Made is a much smaller and more compact game, this could still be applied in a way.
    Use a Warp Gate to send ships between fixed locations or catapult them to specified systems at the edges of the ''universe''.
    Use a Warp drive on large ships (due to energy requirements) to slingshot your own ship from wherever it is to wherever you want it to be almost immediately.
    Use a Cruise drive to cover vast distances in minutes, but nowhere near as far or as fast as actual Warping would allow you to.

Just throwing it out there ^^