my experience with fleets

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Man... We really just need an lower poly RTS view.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    well atleast we got fleets, and with this game being operated by 3 guys i dont think development is going to speed up quickly. be glad that starmade isnt being developed by freejam, tho.

Reaction score
    Very if topic, but why, are they not hiring anyone else? You can't tell me there isn't some programer in this massive playerbase, let alone the rest of the world, that wouldn't like to work on starmade.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Very if topic, but why, are they not hiring anyone else? You can't tell me there isn't some programer in this massive playerbase, let alone the rest of the world, that wouldn't like to work on starmade.
    Sure, but they'd also like to get paid for their work, and I doubt Schine has that kind of money to throw around. An entry level programmer is generally going to run you around $50k a year, one you could trust not to screw up if they aren't watched constantly is going to run more in the $75k a year range. Someone you'd want to actually head up a project like this is easily in the $100k+ a year range.

Not many professional programmers are going to devote a couple years of their career to a game if they aren't getting a full salary for it. Us programmers gotta eat too, you know.

Hell, I'm a computer programmer with minor experience in game creation (I've written some card games with AI players, took a few college courses in basic game design, etc), but I've got a day job with a major national company. No way is Schine going to be able to pay me what they do, so the best I could do is "Whatever free time I have to toss their way on the side", and that is TERRIBLE when it comes to program deadlines. If you're going to bring people in, you need people that can reasonably be expected to stay on target and meet deadlines. "I might be able to do something this week, or it might be next week before I have time to even look at it" is generally not acceptable in this kind of environment.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It should also be pointed out that for most of the Schine staff, this is their second job.

Reaction score
    Sure, but they'd also like to get paid for their work, and I doubt Schine has that kind of money to throw around. An entry level programmer is generally going to run you around $50k a year, one you could trust not to screw up if they aren't watched constantly is going to run more in the $75k a year range. Someone you'd want to actually head up a project like this is easily in the $100k+ a year range.

Not many professional programmers are going to devote a couple years of their career to a game if they aren't getting a full salary for it. Us programmers gotta eat too, you know.

Hell, I'm a computer programmer with minor experience in game creation (I've written some card games with AI players, took a few college courses in basic game design, etc), but I've got a day job with a major national company. No way is Schine going to be able to pay me what they do, so the best I could do is "Whatever free time I have to toss their way on the side", and that is TERRIBLE when it comes to program deadlines. If you're going to bring people in, you need people that can reasonably be expected to stay on target and meet deadlines. "I might be able to do something this week, or it might be next week before I have time to even look at it" is generally not acceptable in this kind of environment.
    Thanks, just wondering, now I wana major in programing though. Green symbols started flashing on your post:p. For just a second(I got over it, put the straightjacket away guys...) I thought it would be cool for random people on the playerbase to help with programing, council members for trust and stuff, but if you think about it none of us would be able to invest much time in it, or wouldn't be that trustworthy(just sayin, world wide websies and all).

I wonder when(not "if" guys, when) they will increase the team. It's three(?) now I think, but we have a bunch of testers and it seems like way more dev people on starmadedock than just a 3 man team.