Read by Council Multiple Undeathenators - Choose where you spawn

Which configuration would you prefer to use? (See post for example implementations)

• Option One

Votes: 2 50.0%
    • Option Two

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Option Three

Votes: 1 25.0%
    • Option Four

Votes: 1 25.0%
    • I like being limited to one and only one undeathenator.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Alright, with the feedback of several forum goers, including Sven_the_Slayer, Lecic, therimmer96, and Dragleones, I am rewriting this idea to include their suggestions and some more specific ideas on server configuration because I feel it is a better and more complete idea. I'll include my original post in a quote below.

Ok, so this idea is to allow more than 1 undeathenator for a person. I feel this is almost a necessity for moving away from home base protection and for allowing undeathenators on ships. This would help alleviate spawn killing as well. Players need to have backup undeathenators in case the original is destroyed.

The way it would work is a person can tag multiple undeathenators and then could choose where they respawn if they die. However, if they suicide, they may be forced to respawn to the closest undeathenator or their default, as set by server admins. There would be a cost to choose a different spawn, other than their default spawn. Server admins could make it so the server spawn is either always a person's default spawn OR the admins could allow players to specify where their default spawn is. Though there would still be the cost of death, choose to respawn at a different undeathenator, at an additional cost, perhaps faction points or a credit cost. This cost could be set by admins to either be a flat cost or it would cost extra depending on how far the undeathenator is from the point of death OR from the player's default spawn area.

If Admins do not like the idea of people being able to choose, that's ok too. The admins would have two options then. The player could simply spawn at their default undeathenator. If the default is destroyed, then the player's secondary undeathenator becomes the new default. OR, if server admins prefer, they could make players ALWAYS respawn at the closest undeathenator.

Here's are a few examples of implementations on servers:

Option 1

The server admins configure the server so that..

- Players CAN choose their own default respawn point.
    - Players CAN choose where they respawn if they are killed, at a cost of 1 faction point per KM from the person's default undeathenator.
    - Respawning at a person's default undeathenator is FREE.
    - Players CANNOT choose where they respawn if they suicide, and will always respawn at their default spawn if they die through suicide.
    - Players can set up to 5 respawn points.

Option 2
    The server admins configure so that..

- Players CANNOT choose their default respawn point, which make it be the server default spawn area.
    - It is FREE to respawn at the default respawn point.
    - Players can ALWAYS choose where they respawn, whether they are killed or suicide.
    - Players can tag up to 3 respawn points.
    - There is a cost of 5 faction points per KM between the point of death and the undeathenator, unless the person respawns at the default respawn area, which would be free.

Option 3

- Players CAN choose their default respawn point.
    - It is FREE to respawn at the player's default respawn point.
    - Players can NEVER choose where they respawn, and will always respawn at their default.
    - Players can tag up to 4 respawn points.
    - If a player's default respawn point is killed, then their secondary respawn point becomes their default. If the secondary gets killed, then the tertiary, etc. If all undeathenators are killed, they respawn at the server default.

Option 4

- Players CANNOT choose a default respawn point.
    - Players CANNOT choose where they respawn, whether through suicide or by being killed.
    - Players ALWAYS respawn to the closest undeathenator.
    - Aside from the cost of death, it is FREE to respawn.
    - Players can tag unlimited respawn points.

Of course, there would be more options than just these four. I just feel these configurations give a good feel for what would be possible.

I feel this addition of options for server admins and players would be an improvement to the existing system, but would still allow server admins to opt-out of these changes by simply configuring the server not to act any differently than it does presently. I feel these options would help give more use to faction points, as well as be a step toward removing home base protection and allowing undeathenators on ships.

As always, thank you for your time! Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome. :D

Original Post:
    Alright, so this idea is to allow a person to tag more than 1 undeathenator, and when they die they can choose where they spawn. To avoid abuse, which would allow someone to teleport across large distances instantly, at the cost of a suicide, I'd recommend it only allow a person to choose between undeathenators within one system, and perhaps have a max of four.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Bad idea. Respawning results in literally zero repercussions if you take certain precautions, like dumping your inventory or putting all your cash into a shop.

Plus, as a design element, I still think it's a bad idea. It just removes another reason players have to actually travel, whether by ship, foot, or on rails.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Bad idea. Respawning results in literally zero repercussions if you take certain precautions, like dumping your inventory or putting all your cash into a shop.

Plus, as a design element, I still think it's a bad idea. It just removes another reason players have to actually travel, whether by ship, foot, or on rails.
    Undeathenators already teleport you back to your base, right? I suggest this in anticipation of home base protection being removed at some point. It would allow a person to have backup bases, in case their main one is destroyed. To me, if the alternate bases had to be within the same system as the other undeathenators, this would mostly negate the possible abuse of it. Also, I am assuming the game will, at some point, make good use of faction points, so that death will have a meaningful repercussion.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Perhaps a simple addition of if you suicide you don't get to choose where you spawn from. This would allow us to set multiple respawn points if a base happens to get destroyed or if on ship respawning ever happens but you simply cannot use suicide as a method to teleport around the galaxy.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would love it if we could have multiple undeathinators. Perhaps have a CREDIT COST or a FP COST for respawning anywhere besides your main spawn, based on distance from the main spawn?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Or perhaps it will spawn you at the closest to the base. if the base is gone, it remembers where it was until a new one is declared, and will spawn you at which ever one is the closest to that point?

Reaction score
    Or perhaps it will spawn you at the closest to the base. [...]
    I like this idea. How about a player is able to tag as much undeathinators as he wants, but automatically respawns at the nearest?

Abuse proof and player friendly.

For example when defending a system and you lose the base you automatically respawn in an safe environment.
    Would also work well together with the proposal to enable undeathinators on ships (to give people the ability to effectivly utilize fighters using carriers if they desire to).

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You know.. I think everyone had really good ideas here on how to make this viable, abuse-proof, and useful in the world of StarMade. I think I'm going to edit my original post to include everyone's ideas into one.

I like this idea. How about a player is able to tag as much undeathinators as he wants, but automatically respawns at the nearest?

Abuse proof and player friendly.

For example when defending a system and you lose the base you automatically respawn in an safe environment.
    Would also work well together with the proposal to enable undeathinators on ships (to give people the ability to effectivly utilize fighters using carriers if they desire to).
    I really like this method of implementation, and it would be particularly useful to allow undeathenators to be used on ships. However, part of the reason I'd like someone be able to choose is because it would help prevent spawn-killing and would help to encourage people to build more than 1 base. I'd say give "nearest undeathenator" as an option to be able to quickly respawn, but pair this with sven's idea below, where if someone suicides, they automatically spawn to the nearest undeathenator, rather than being able to choose.

Perhaps a simple addition of if you suicide you don't get to choose where you spawn from. This would allow us to set multiple respawn points if a base happens to get destroyed or if on ship respawning ever happens but you simply cannot use suicide as a method to teleport around the galaxy.
    Yes! I much prefer this over forcing the person to have all their undeathenators within 1 system! Perhaps it could be paired with Dragleones' idea, which also introduces a variable credit or faction point cost for choosing.

Or perhaps it will spawn you at the closest to the base. if the base is gone, it remembers where it was until a new one is declared, and will spawn you at which ever one is the closest to that point?
    This is good too. I think a lot of server admins and players would like this, but I don't feel this as the only option would be good for the general community.

I would love it if we could have multiple undeathinators. Perhaps have a CREDIT COST or a FP COST for respawning anywhere besides your main spawn, based on distance from the main spawn?
    You know.. I really like this as well, but I'd suggest a little change. Instead of a flat cost, why not make it variable, as specified by admins? It could be based on the distance the spawn is from where the player dies OR from their main undeathenator. I'd also like to give admins some control over this cost, so perhaps there could be variables set for how much it costs per km, and whether or not it is free to spawn at a person's main undeathenater. I also think it should be free to choose to spawn at the server's main spawn area.

With all of these ideas put together, I'm going to rewrite my original post and place the original in quotes. Let me know what you guys think. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463363400,1463360285][/DOUBLEPOST]

I've made some changes to the original idea, utilizing suggestions from 4 other people and some revisions. I'd like to know your input, if you don't mind. :)