moving the ship core

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    no mods or external programs, nothing seriously? :'(

Reaction score
    About the only way that's certain to work is to cut and paste your ship one piece at a time. Though it has been said that there will be an official tool for this at a later date.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This issue has actually recently come up in council chat, options are still being discussed. I think it was mentioned it was something Schema wants to allow it but there are technical limitations stopping it from being done in game currently. I do think an official external editor is planned.

Reaction score
    You can set your build dimensions to a larger size in the server config.

If your ship is small to medium in size you can copy the whole thing and paste it back in a different place relative to the core.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ...I do think an official external editor is planned.
    That would be very interesting, personally I don't really need an option to alter the core placement, that's a question of planning beforehand, but to envision difficult hull and other connections, or experimenting with the flow of a large surface, an external editor would be very handy indeed. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    This issue has actually recently come up in council chat, options are still being discussed. I think it was mentioned it was something Schema wants to allow it but there are technical limitations stopping it from being done in game currently. I do think an official external editor is planned.
    When you guys convene on the core movement issue, please consider the idea of having an in-game have a function to just move the ship around the core instead of actually moving the core. An out of game editor being the only way to do core movement doesn't really seem like an elegant solution.

Reaction score
    Simple solution would be if you place another core it removes the old core. I can't imagine that it would be that hard to implement. Probably a bit CPU intensive recalculating the entire ship, but it isn't like people are going to sit there recoring all day.

Reaction score
    I may have stumbled onto a middle ground between moving the core real time and an offline editor. Instead of trying to replace a currently existing ships blocks around a new core location. Would it be easier on the server to convert the ship to a filled blueprint with the necessary modifications? Possibly requiring a ship yard once those are implemented.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    okay, hate to Necro, but I was going to make a new thread. I buggered up the placement of my core. A year and a half ago, when I started making the ship I thought it'd be a smashing idea to have the core on the bridge. ... bright idea huh.... only thing is now the ship is now ~300*100*150 and has a lot of logic in it. If i broke those connections it would be a nightmare to fix. Unfortunately the only current way to move the core that I know of is copy-pasting, but to do it in meaningful chunks will kill my craptop :(. So is this actually officially planned in some way? Im happy to mothball the ship / finish it but not really use it until such a time when the tool comes about. But if nothing is likely to be around then I'll just have to take the pain of moving it manually :/.

As an aside, could the block position data of the ship be opened up in a text editor? If so could that then be translated into a tabulated format? If so then I would happily try and figure a way of moving the core from within the code itself :). (although could I then re-save the file as the correct format :/)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    okay, hate to Necro, but I was going to make a new thread. I buggered up the placement of my core. A year and a half ago, when I started making the ship I thought it'd be a smashing idea to have the core on the bridge. ... bright idea huh.... only thing is now the ship is now ~300*100*150 and has a lot of logic in it. If i broke those connections it would be a nightmare to fix. Unfortunately the only current way to move the core that I know of is copy-pasting, but to do it in meaningful chunks will kill my craptop :(. So is this actually officially planned in some way? Im happy to mothball the ship / finish it but not really use it until such a time when the tool comes about. But if nothing is likely to be around then I'll just have to take the pain of moving it manually :/.

As an aside, could the block position data of the ship be opened up in a text editor? If so could that then be translated into a tabulated format? If so then I would happily try and figure a way of moving the core from within the code itself :). (although could I then re-save the file as the correct format :/)
    Core position really doesn't mater anymore with the HP system. It's no longer the center of the ship or the location the AI will target. If it's convenient on the bridge than that's the best place for it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Core position really doesn't mater anymore with the HP system. It's no longer the center of the ship or the location the AI will target. If it's convenient on the bridge than that's the best place for it.
    True, however, for someone with a cutter they can just cut through the glass on the bridge and BAM, ship is theirs. Also, the core position currently is right infront of an elevator door that wasnt in the original design, which is an issue...

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I almost made a new post for this, but I found this one. I'm not sure if it's better to necro an old thread, or start a new thread talking about something that's already been discussed. So here it goes.

So I downloaded a ship shell that I want to start working on, it's huge (GaeasSon's Star Trek Galaxy Class Space Frame)
    The core is going to have to be moved, but I'm only going to know where the core will go after I get done with most of the RP interior.
    I'm guessing that Cut and Paste is still the best bet on moving the core, does anybody know of a better way. I tried getting SMEdit to work on my laptop but I couldn't get it to work (maybe because I run linux?)

I also tried opening up a sment in a hex editor, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. I also tried looking into the Blueprint file formats in the Wiki but I couldn't figure that stuff out either. It's just a bit too advanced for me. I have done a lot of scripting in the past, but this was only with higher level languages. Would it be possible to have a converter program that could turn a sment into a more readable and scriptable format? then I could write a script that could move the core of a sment file.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I built a ship backwards :(. Some day, I am sure that we will be able to move cores.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Movement of the ship core is currently not an option.
    However, it is planned for a future shipyard ability.

ps.SMEdit is old. I don't think it works for anyone anymore.