Movable Ship Cores

Reaction score
    I cant tell how many times I attempt to Make a large ship and in the end I severely need to change my Ships Core placement.

We need a way to add a 2nd Ship core down, and delete the first one PLEASE!!!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    true ! we need that but if you don't wand to mess up your ship with those errors make plans first before making your ship XD

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    "The best laid plans of mice and men"

Yes, planning ahead will save you a lot of headache later but mistakes do happen. I've built ships I was happy with and then later found out the core needed to be moved. Moving the core more center for better docking, leaving the core threw me out of the ship and moving it by one meter would solve the problem. Additionally with new mechanics I have some cores that I want to move, the docking beam no longer emits from the core and I have cores placed to line them up properly for docking and now I'd like to move them to a better location now that this is no longer a concern.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    "The best laid plans of mice and men"

Yes, planning ahead will save you a lot of headache later but mistakes do happen. I've built ships I was happy with and then later found out the core needed to be moved. Moving the core more center for better docking, leaving the core threw me out of the ship and moving it by one meter would solve the problem. Additionally with new mechanics I have some cores that I want to move, the docking beam no longer emits from the core and I have cores placed to line them up properly for docking and now I'd like to move them to a better location now that this is no longer a concern.
    yes ... what you could do is downgrade your starmade and than put smedit on it

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    yes ... what you could do is downgrade your starmade and than put smedit on it
    Oh this reminds me of my time spent on the minecraft forums. Just because a mod does it is not a good enough reason to discount a suggestion for the vanilla game. The game needs this, we should not have to rely on a third party tool. Now there would have to be limitations, like if shipyard docks are ever implemented you will need to be in one to move the core.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    SMEdit can't handle lolsized huge ships.

It is at least a huge amount of time you spend on dl your ship, shutdown SM, open SME, open ship, do 3rd-Party-Magic if it works, re-start SM, upload, play.

I mean for such a stupidly simple task.

Reaction score
    SMEdit can't handle lolsized huge ships.

It is at least a huge amount of time you spend on dl your ship, shutdown SM, open SME, open ship, do 3rd-Party-Magic if it works, re-start SM, upload, play.

I mean for such a stupidly simple task.
    I still dont understand why my ship dosent load in SMEdit, my ship is smaller than the Starcraft minotaur ship and the minotaur loads fine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't know about "putting a second one down, and then picking up the first one," if you could do that then you could potentially have 2 cores on one ship....

What would that mean?

Instead I think (for now at least) there should just be a mechanic where perhaps in advanced build mode there's a button that says "move core" and if you click it then it will ask you where you want the core to be moved to. Then you click the new location and presto you now have 2-5 times the ship you had less than a second ago.
    Perhaps this could cost some money to do? In an effort to prevent a "The Battle of Jumping-Core" scenario. Or perhaps a slight time delay like 10 seconds (I think the time one would work better).
    Basically though, it would function largely the same as the current system by which you put down a new symmetry-mode plane, except I'm thinkin' it would be nice to have an "Are you sure?" prompt, so it's not done on accident.

However, even if this does cause some "The Battle of Jumping-Core" scenarios, I still think it would be worth it. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying when you build a pretty ship that you can't use because you changed your plans as you were building it, and ended up with your core in/near the front.

Hoping this gets implemented,
    -Prep :D

Reaction score
    well i have stopped building for now until they fix this issue or SMedit is working again.. because im to frustrated i spent weeks building a nice ship i want, that no one else has, and my design changes all the time because i learn new things like Turning speeds.
    In the end i have a ship that costs me lots of time I am not willing to remake. and all i need to do is move my ship core to play again..
    Its funny too because i can load some ships in SMEdit but not mine.
    See post here http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-mod-to-move-the-ship-core.381/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    well i have stopped building for now until they fix this issue or SMedit is working again.. because im to frustrated i spent weeks building a nice ship i want, that no one else has, and my design changes all the time because i learn new things like Turning speeds.
    In the end i have a ship that costs me lots of time I am not willing to remake. and all i need to do is move my ship core to play again..
    Its funny too because i can load some ships in SMEdit but not mine.
    See post here http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-mod-to-move-the-ship-core.381/
    If you made your ship around the time that the penta and tetra blocks were introduced into the game, then your ship isn't compatible with SMEdit yet, as it hasn't been updated for a long, long time.

Reaction score
    If you made your ship around the time that the penta and tetra blocks were introduced into the game, then your ship isn't compatible with SMEdit yet, as it hasn't been updated for a long, long time.
    my ship is only made of blocks wedges and corners

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    my ship is only made of blocks wedges and corners
    It doesn't matter what blocks the ship is made up of. If you saved the ship at all since that update period then it won't be compatible. You just need to wait for SMEdit to be updated.

Reaction score
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wouldn't Hold My Breath
    Hmmm... Well, to be honest Keepsix, I wouldn't wait for them to change this mechanic to start playing again or to "move on". From what I've heard, I've gotten the impression that this has been a requested feature for a quite some time, because a lot of people have had this problem. I have multiple nice ships that would be much nicer if they didn't die shortly after losing shields due to bad bad core-placement.
    Though its annoying you just have to move on to other ships and use your current ship as it is. :( sorry.

-Prep

Reaction score
    Wouldn't Hold My Breath
    Hmmm... Well, to be honest Keepsix, I wouldn't wait for them to change this mechanic to start playing again or to "move on". From what I've heard, I've gotten the impression that this has been a requested feature for a quite some time, because a lot of people have had this problem. I have multiple nice ships that would be much nicer if they didn't die shortly after losing shields due to bad bad core-placement.
    Though its annoying you just have to move on to other ships and use your current ship as it is. :( sorry.

-Prep
    I would, but i can taste it IM SOO CLOSE... i mean i can load other ships in SMEdit and move the core around... i just have to get mine working or give my file to someone that can.... i just need my core moved down exactly 74 blocks, THATS IT!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would, but i can taste it IM SOO CLOSE... i mean i can load other ships in SMEdit and move the core around... i just have to get mine working or give my file to someone that can.... i just need my core moved down exactly 74 blocks, THATS IT!
    Upload it and I'll move it for you when I come home from work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How to "Deal" With Your Badly-Placed Core (Ship)
    What I do with my ships that have badly-placed cores is I just focus on not letting shields go down. They are your first line of defense and honestly they're (by quite a lot) the most significant. Besides this is a tactic you want to use in battles anyway. Keep an eye on the Shield-O-Meter and when it starts to get low just lay back a bit, do some evasive maneuvers for a while (but while still trying to keep up the cannon fire if you can manage it). Also if you put a cloaking block on the ship (even if it cant cloak for more than like 0.1 seconds), when you hold down the "cloak" button on the hot-bar the ship will just keep re-cloaking and uncloaking; this confuses the AI because they think you're fading out of existence and they start to wonder if they will start to fade out of existence too if they stick around (;D) (you might even see them looking around frantically in panic). Due to this lack of focus they get worse at fighting you so long as you are doing that. So (if you're fighting AI) that's another good thing to do when you're "laying back a bit". Once your shields get back up to a safer level then you can go back in there.
    Battles can take a while sometimes but if you're patient and wait for the right moment it goes a lot better (for you).
    Now, I'll admit, that was a bit more of dogfighting advice than big-ship battle advice, but the concept still largely universal in Starmade (ship) warfare.
    Besides, really once your shields go down you're pretty much dead anyway (because of "core-ing").
    -Prep :D

Reaction score
    Upload it and I'll move it for you when I come home from work.
    Awesome i would really appreciate that... also if you could zip up the working game+SMEdit versions you have so i could fix future ships i would appreciate it.
    Here is the link to a earlier version of my build.. this way if you fix it, i can use this to make a few different builds I was thinking of.
    http://www.datafilehost.com/d/2dfd6293 (link to the blueprint.rar download)

Edit: here is a upload to this site, it wouldnt allow .rar so here is a .zip
    you will see the ship core floating above the ship with lights around it... i would like it 74 blocks down, inside the light-ring i made below to verify it is the right spot

Attachments

Last edited: