A mod to move the ship core

Do you have a need to move your ship core?

• Yes

Votes: 95 93.1%
    • No

Votes: 4 3.9%
    • Yes, but all my ship are tiny, I don't have each a problem, and Id like to see you rebuild a Ti

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    SMedit is out of order since 0.14, I have no idea how or where to contact jjaquinta
    I don't need the function of transferring sketchup model into ships directly,
    I enjoy building my ship all by hand. But I really need to move my ship core:(
    It is an impossible job to rebuild a 750m long ship.....please help:oops:

Anyone can help;)? A mod with just one function, to move the ship core:cool:

PS. The last option of the poll is:
    Yes, but all my ship are tiny, I don't have such a problem, and I would like to see you rebuild a Titan

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Moving a core is an option that really should be in the vanilla game, accidents happen, and even with the best planning you could finish a ship and want the core to be somewhere else or you may not even have an idea as to where it should be when you start building a ship.

Reaction score
    Maybe just something simple where you could add a second ship core wherever you wanted it and delete the original. That shouldn't be too hard I wouldn't think.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Juste removing old core and replacing id of a specific bloc like 65 (death star core) by 1 could be a way but technicaly ship core is always in chunk 0,0,0 and changing the ship core pos could be, eventually, a source of bug.
    I've made some try to put core in planet but ATM i can't re encode correctly my final file

Reaction score
    What version works with it, and can i use those ships with the newest version if i transfer the files?
    The only version i got SMEdit to even open with so far is 20131003_180721
    The only problem is I cant load my ships, even if i make just a core, and 1 block.
    I can open files like Isanth-VI.... HeldTech_Briggadier... HeldTech_Damocles... Starcraft_Minotaur-Concept-Battlecruiser
    but i can not open any of my files, and some other downloaded ones like Blizzard MK1 ..... Ishimura_Dead_Space
    I tried making ships on the newest, and earliest version of the game, including version 20131003_180721 but nothing i make can be loaded in SMEdit when i hit Open then go to my blueprints, i can see them, and sometimes it even shows a loading bar but in the end it does not load my ship into SMEdit.

Help me. if you have SMEdit working for your own player made ships, PLEASE ZIP the entire folder, Game+Plugins, and share with us.
    I have halted my build until i can move my ships core... very disapointing

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    What version works with it, and can i use those ships with the newest version if i transfer the files?
    The only version i got SMEdit to even open with so far is 20131003_180721
    The only problem is I cant load my ships, even if i make just a core, and 1 block.
    I can open files like Isanth-VI.... HeldTech_Briggadier... HeldTech_Damocles... Starcraft_Minotaur-Concept-Battlecruiser
    but i can not open any of my files, and some other downloaded ones like Blizzard MK1 ..... Ishimura_Dead_Space
    I tried making ships on the newest, and earliest version of the game, including version 20131003_180721 but nothing i make can be loaded in SMEdit when i hit Open then go to my blueprints, i can see them, and sometimes it even shows a loading bar but in the end it does not load my ship into SMEdit.

Help me. if you have SMEdit working for your own player made ships, PLEASE ZIP the entire folder, Game+Plugins, and share with us.
    I have halted my build until i can move my ships core... very disapointing

IIRC the guy in charge of SMEdit gave up when he couldn't legally get access to the unobfuscated game code. It sounds like you're kinda screwed pal.

Reaction score
    As of right now I am still able to use SMedit with the work around in the link below. I have yet to try taking a ship from +0.14 onwards and try opening it in an older build of Starmade. There are definitely limitations to what you can do once you get it working. Thanks Tomino_sama from MushroomFleet for this tutorial, so helpful as always.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1rum8d/i_heard_smedit_was_not_working_here_is_the_fix/

Also lots of info about it here if you feel like sorting through the +800 posts:
    http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/offline-ship-editor

Follow these instructions carefully and you'll get a working version of SMedit to go with your 0.9xxx build of Starmade. As far as I know, this is the only way to get it working. If you encounter a BP that just won't open in your 0.9xxx SMedit, open your 0.9xxx build of starmade, spawn the BP in your universe and exit starmade. Then go to the "Your Ships" section in SMedit and your ship should load in now. Once you make the changes you want or import your ship from a model, you just have to export it out of the 0.9xxx build and import it into the 0.14xx build.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have success opening up a 0.14xx BP in a previous build of Starmade(I suspect you will have difficulty doing this)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Iskandar
    Reaction score
    As of right now I am still able to use SMedit with the work around in the link below. I have yet to try taking a ship from +0.14 onwards and try opening it in an older build of Starmade. There are definitely limitations to what you can do once you get it working. Thanks Tomino_sama from MushroomFleet for this tutorial, so helpful as always.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1rum8d/i_heard_smedit_was_not_working_here_is_the_fix/

Also lots of info about it here if you feel like sorting through the +800 posts:
    http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/offline-ship-editor

Follow these instructions carefully and you'll get a working version of SMedit to go with your 0.9xxx build of Starmade. As far as I know, this is the only way to get it working. If you encounter a BP that just won't open in your 0.9xxx SMedit, open your 0.9xxx build of starmade, spawn the BP in your universe and exit starmade. Then go to the "Your Ships" section in SMedit and your ship should load in now. Once you make the changes you want or import your ship from a model, you just have to export it out of the 0.9xxx build and import it into the 0.14xx build.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have success opening up a 0.14xx BP in a previous build of Starmade(I suspect you will have difficulty doing this)
    i cant seem to get this version of the game to launch. the updater launches, i press start game and then nothing happens. it just closes.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Tomino_sama
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    i cant seem to get this version of the game to launch. the updater launches, i press start game and then nothing happens. it just closes.
    By using the 3rd october build you can still move cores and everything else in smedit. However the limitation is that ships built in the latest version of starmade do not convert backwards. This means you cannot use it with these new built ships.

For importing models, it is still viable as these can convert forwards in import.

How to Ringfence your Smedit (how to install and use smedit with the 4rd oct. release)

How to import OBJ (updated video January)

Reactions: JimmyJamba

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Not only move it, but rotate it. I built a 130k mass turret and finished it only to realize that the entire thing had been built upside down -_- (luckily smedit saved me)

I'd really like the ability to move and rotate the core to be a feature IN THE GAME.

Reaction score
    SMEDIT being fixed is completely dependent on if schema wants it / allows it, so is having a mod that does this.

the ship core represents the center of mass of a ship and i don't see us able to move a ship core on a loaded/rendered ship anytime soon

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    SMEDIT being fixed is completely dependent on if schema wants it / allows it, so is having a mod that does this.

the ship core represents the center of mass of a ship and i don't see us able to move a ship core on a loaded/rendered ship anytime soon
    Not sure you know what a mod is...

Reaction score
    Not sure you know what a mod is...
    How come? in order to fix smedit you need information about schemas new filesystem, the code is obfuscated so you can't look it up yourself (and if you do manage to you break the tos).

I know people that have asked if they are allowed to fix smedit to no avail.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    How come? in order to fix smedit you need information about schemas new filesystem, the code is obfuscated so you can't look it up yourself (and if you do manage to you break the tos).

I know people that have asked if they are allowed to fix smedit to no avail.
    Ok... what does this have to do with the OP?

Reaction score
    That is what I was talking about. I doubt that schema would care if a mod was made to do something...
    In order to make a mod that can actually do anything like that, you need more information about the game code, there are two ways to get that information

1: Ask Schema: chances of succes <10%
    2: Deobfuscate the code: chances of succes <10% + it breaks the TOS and all your work can and will be undone every patch

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    In order to make a mod that can actually do anything like that, you need more information about the game code, there are two ways to get that information

1: Ask Schema: chances of succes <10%
    2: Deobfuscate the code: chances of succes <10% + it breaks the TOS and all your work can and will be undone every patch
    3. Wait for the API to come out: chance of success 80%

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Chance of API coming out within this year: very very low
    Chance of API supporting this: 0%
    Considering what people have been able to do with minecraft without an API...