More Variation in Mining Bonus Settings.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    A larger split in the settings for the mining bonus would be beneficial for both players and those running the servers.

Currently the options are:
    From the FactionConfig.xml:
    Code:
    <FactionSystemOwnerBonus>
            <BasicValues>
                <MiningBonusOwner>12</MiningBonusOwner>
                <MiningBonusOthers>6</MiningBonusOthers>
            </BasicValues>
        </FactionSystemOwnerBonus>
    And from the server.cfg:
    Code:
    MINING_BONUS = 1 //general multiplier on all mining
    I suggest there be more settings for where and what you are mining.

In owned systems split it into 12x for asteroids and 8x for planets (planets don't respawn so there should be a deterrent to mining them, and a bonus for mining renewable sources). Allied systems have the same rewards by default as your owned systems. This gives a reason to have trustworthy allies.

Unowned systems should take the current settings for 'other', however, it is rewarded for the mining of renewable asteroid resources. 6x for asteroids and 4x for planets.

Neutral systems (ones owned by other factions, but not allied or enemy) should be slightly higher than in an unowned system. This setting gives a reason to either set ally or enemy the intruder mining in your system (protect your resources or share them). 10x for asteorids and 6x for planets.

Enemy Systems is where the biggest change would happen. You make this the highest possible mining bonus reward. Higher risk should deserve a higher reward. This setting would encourage people to get away from their safe home system and mine in dangerous enemy territory. Increasing the likelihood of battle encounters. Thus leading to salvage fleets that require support from defensive fighting ships and make high risk mining operations more than just a one man operation. 24x for asteroids and 16x for planets.

The settings in the FactionConfig.xml would end up looking something like this:
    Code:
        <FactionSystemOwnerBonus>
            <BasicValues>
                <MiningBonusOwner>12</MiningBonusOwner>
                <MiningBonusOwnerPlanet>8</MiningBonusOwnerPlanet>
                <MiningBonusAllied>12</MiningBonusAllied>
                <MiningBonusAlliedPlanet>8</MiningBonusAlliedPlanet>
                <MiningBonusNeutral>10</MiningBonusNeutral>
                <MiningBonusNeutralPlanet>6</MiningBonusNeutralPlanet>
                <MiningBonusEnemy>24</MiningBonusEnemy>
                <MiningBonusEnemyPlanet>16</MiningBonusEnemyPlanet>
                <MiningBonusOther>6</MiningBonusOther>
                <MiningBonusOtherPlanet>4</MiningBonusOtherPlanet>
            </BasicValues>
        </FactionSystemOwnerBonus>
    Having settings like these gives a reason to protect the resources within your owned system (stop others building block wealth quickly), and to also want to mine outside of your safety zone (build your own block wealth quickly).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just thought I might bump this up considering the lack of asteroid respawning now. This option would add so much gameplay for such a small effort from the dev's, why not consider it?

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Great suggestion, would love to see something like this added to our configs.

Reaction score
    I'd actually like to see the ability to have the faction that owns a territory actually set their own "others" mining bonus.
    as in, it can't be higher than what the server default is, but they could set it lower.

and, said faction would be able to designate a station [likely just re-use the Homebase feature] to receive the difference between those numbers dumped into the station's storages.

thus, the faction would be getting their "cut" of non-faction mining, and allow factions more control of their own territory.

Oh, and should probably allow factions [or the server] to set whether or not any planets in their territory are harvestable.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Excellent suggestion. I'd like to add that settings for asteroid sizes and cluster density (the amount of roids there are in a cluster) would also be very welcome.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    You make this the highest possible mining bonus reward. Higher risk should deserve a higher reward.
    Now this is a bit backwards I'll be honest. The easiest way to win would to then not claim territory, as your enemy would have nowhere to mine. Claim a single system, mine asteroids and kill anyone that comes in. The playerbase already does this. There are other ways to encourage risk vs reward. Ideas like forcing expansion into more dangerous territory for better mining yields and stuff like that. NPC's will play a larger role in the future and if an enemy player is not around then you can take on the risk of battling them instead.

When it comes to planets, I am not sure how we will approach them. We will eventually need to implement a constant passive resource generation. Planets are the first choice and doing so would likely mean ending planet mining. Planets and in turn, star systems shouldbe something players need and fight over.

Having other config options for mining would be nice however and when we take a deeper look at that we will make sure to go over that as well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    doing so would likely mean ending planet mining.
    Yes. Please, so much yes. The whole planet mining thing irritates the hell out of me. And that doesn't even take into consideration the lag. It's just wrong.

Reaction score
    Enemy Systems is where the biggest change would happen. You make this the highest possible mining bonus reward. Higher risk should deserve a higher reward. This setting would encourage people to get away from their safe home system and mine in dangerous enemy territory. Increasing the likelihood of battle encounters. Thus leading to salvage fleets that require support from defensive fighting ships and make high risk mining operations more than just a one man operation.
    In my opinion alliance space should have a bonus somewhere between faction and enemy, encouraging trade and traffic among allies, but even more so excursions into other alliances' territories.

Yes. Please, so much yes. The whole planet mining thing irritates the hell out of me. And that doesn't even take into consideration the lag. It's just wrong.
    What makes it wrong is the scale involved. It wouldn't feel wrong (eco/conservation issues aside ;) ) to mine out a few million blocks if planets were thousands of kilometres in diameter instead of hundreds of metres. It's done on Earth every day, even without advanced scifi technology.