More "Spherical" Planets

What shape should the planets be?

• Total voters

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    OKAY, first off, no they shouldn't be plain balls. We've gone over this before. I think the planets should be more like a soccer ball instead of dodecahedrons. This would greatly smooth out the planets surface while also forcing them to be slightly larger, making it slightly more realistic.

I know this is probably not going to happen anytime soon if at all because of the recently added dodecahedron planets, and because of lag issues from the many more different planet parts.

EDIT: Added poll. Here are the polyhedrons in the poll:

Dodecahedron (default):

Icosihedron:

Truncated Icosihedron:

Truncated Icosidodecahedron:

And the Icosidodecahedron:

Remember, these will most likely be larger than current planets.

Last edited:
    Reactions: WaffulMann

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    If schema thought that adding more faces to the planets was a good idea, then he would have done that already. Why can't people understand this :/

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I understand, it's just that this is the suggestion thread. HINT: It's for suggestions. I knew it was probably not going to happen, but hey, you gotta try!

Reactions: Syleiel

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is what I was thinking they could look like, if you need a visual:

This is what they currently look like:

And if you want to go crazy, here:

EDIT: Added these and two more in a poll.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like the rounder nature of the "soccer ball" planets, but I worry that each face will be too small to be useful. The current planets seem to be a good compromise between good looking round planets and planets with large flat areas for building.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The idea was it would force the planets to be a little larger in order to make them round.

OH and heres a umm, hold on lemme check wikipedia, a "snub dodecahadron":

As you can see, this one has triangles, and I think triangles are not a good shape for the edges, but were getting ideas out there, this is called the suggestion thread after all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My problem with adding more plates is that when I'm in orbit I think it would look better if they were round, but as soon as I land I stop thinking about that and start wishing the plate was bigger. I think those two desires conflict with each other in this case. I'm probably not going to spend much time staring at it from orbit so I'd rather have it be useful on the ground. Round planets would be cool, but if I have to choose I pick functionality over form.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Crusade , you chose the wrong planet. Ice planets currently don't generate properly. I have even submitted a bug report.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Perhaps we can get multiple options for planet shapes. But as someone stated above. rounder planets will be harder to build upon.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Sorry to be 'that guy', but the "soccer ball" tessellation pattern was proposed amongst the team, considered and rejected for technical reasons.
    Unfortunately i can't remember what the reasons were...

Sorry, such a buzz kill.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If not soccer balls, why not just a huge globe of square segments with circles at the poles? We could even give further-away segments LOD levels so that they don't create too much lag, in which case we could probably have each segment be up to 300 meters across or so. At that point data storage might become a concern, but we need less planets anyway.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dave, the plates wouldn't be smaller, the planets would just be bigger. If it were to be added, the penatgonal plates would be the same size as they are now, or bigger. Then the hexagonal plates would fill in the gaps.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm thinking that water blocks that can overlap other water blocks and terrain blocks would make a good transition between planet segments on the existing shape. If there was a proper "swimming" game mechanic, where the astronaut could go in the water, and the mechanic included an automatic drop in gravity to simulate buoyancy, the change in gravity from one segment to another would be less jarring. These water areas would look like shallow rivers between the segments. (Or reintroduce deep canyons between segments and fill them with water, for a deeper river between segments.)

(Personal note: my preferred planet shape would probably be a six-sided cube.)

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm thinking that water blocks that can overlap other water blocks and terrain blocks would make a good transition between planet segments on the existing shape. If there was a proper "swimming" game mechanic, where the astronaut could go in the water, and the mechanic included an automatic drop in gravity to simulate buoyancy, the change in gravity from one segment to another would be less jarring. These water areas would look like shallow rivers between the segments. (Or reintroduce deep canyons between segments and fill them with water, for a deeper river between segments.)

(Personal note: my preferred planet shape would probably be a six-sided cube.)
    i think if schema added a gravity drop in water we could survive with bouyant ships as well like Cowboy Bebop's carrier The Bebop.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Then we would need large bodies of water, and connecting those over plates would be tough, unless the plates were bigger. We could beg Schema to make the planets bigger, or we could be him to add oceans, and neither of those are happening anytime soon.

Reaction score
    Try increasing the size of planets in the Server.cfg file. See how you and your friends' computers hold up. XD
    The size is fine and the shape is too. Just needs some better gravity changing and it's good!

Act like how the ships do. :)

Reactions: Ithirahad