Is this a Good Idea?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
    • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way jump drives feel... Unpredictable I guess?

What I mean is that, jumping between systems, currently, is based upon where the ship is when you jump.

The problem with this is that you have no real control over where your ship is going to end up unless you want to take the 5-10 mins or so to re-position yourself so that you jump in at the place you want to be.

The Idea at least is simple now that the new reactor system is about to drop that we add in the choice to specify the coordinates within the sector that is being jumped to, as well as orientation.

I do suggest drawbacks to this method, such as inaccuracies in the jump meaning that even with the coordinate system, you still may be 200-500 meters off target scaling to the distance that you will be traveling. I would also say that this should be editable depending on what the server creator's wishes.

To solve some of the accuracy problem the chamber system could apply, say, a chamber upgrade that increases the accuracy of the jump and if we put in a travel time for the jump stealth jumps, Travel time decreases that sort of thing.

I'm unsure how difficult it would be to implement but it would seem like a a good idea and allow a more tactical approach to combat instead of the usual jump in, shoot at everything, jump out.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    the jump drive system is due for a revamp at some point as it is just a canonized version of the /change_sector command.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Maybe a seperate chamber/Modual which has a more "blink" or skim effect, allowing you to reposition in a system within (x) distance of the selected target.
    Could be affected by jamming or so.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I like this, it dos not have as big of application for servers with 1k or 2k sectors. But if your server is using 10k or bigger this could be very helpful.
    Granted you would have to manually input the coordinates, but that is a small price to pay for arriving where you want in the sector. It would also take way the risk of jumping into your own home station, as you could insure you jumped in, say 100 or 200 meters away from it.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    the jump drive system is due for a revamp at some point as it is just a canonized version of the /change_sector command.
    Yeah, I'd rather have some sort of "warp" that actually takes you through space with no collisions, only showing LOD preview images of objects rather than loading blocks.

Reactions: NeonSturm