More bugfixes (0.109)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

This build contains bugfixes, and one core redesign. This is the last thing that was really begging to be changed in the core for a long time. The result should be up to 20% memory gain (depending on the type of ships/structures of course). Especially big war ships should have the biggest reduction in memory footprint. And internally the implemented datastructure is also a lot nicer to handle, since a lot less references are there (one long native value vs an object).

This change needs testing in connected blocks and block structure: check if your weapons, shields, etc still have the same value as before the patch, and if firing any weapons/cloak/etc result in a crash, as well as changing the assignment to the numbers of weapons.
    (as a sidenote: I just purchased an XBOX 360 controller without owning an XBOX. This should be a fun upgrade)

If you get a chunk error, please send in a manual report (CrashAndBugReport menu in the connection setup & preferences screen). The errors are fortunately not data loss as normally a relog will bring them back. I still need to fix it nonetheless.

Here is the changelog:

Please be especially careful with this pre-build if you plan to use it on a server, and even in single player please make sure you backup your database before you use this build. Also please don't use this build to work on big projects, as i can't guarantee the data generated by the pre-build to be 100% error free, because a database migration has to be done from the old version.

You can download the build here: http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20140223_005822.zip

http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20140224_030619.zip

(to use that please extract that file into a folder named "StarMade" and put a launcher in the directory below: e.g. if you extract it to c:\users\schema\games\StarMade, the launcher has to be in c:\users\schema\games for it to see the installation)

(The username and password is "dev". The link will be working around 15 minutes after this news post)

This version will be installed on play.star-made.org:4242 to test.

- fixed one more GL_INVALID_OPERATION crash on 100% (on some graphics cards)
    - reduced memory consumption in several places
    -- decreased consumption from lots of small groups of usable blocks
    -- decreased consumption from control structure
    - improved control structure performance by using unified indexing data structure a lot better to handle in collections
    - fixed light shining through closed doors
    - implemented "lighten" mode for advanced build mode (makes blocks brighter)
    - fixed "NullPointerException: Exception: REQUESTED TYPE 0 IS NULL" client crash (happened when a block-connection came in too late after the source was already removed)
    - improved bulk-block-connection function to be more scalable and faster
    - (hopefully) fixed [KINEMATICCONTROLLER][UPDATEACTION] Exception possibly crashing the server on sector change in some situations
    - fixed faction protection from personal salvage beam
    - fixed NullPointer from AI trying to walk on object that no longer exists
    - fixed sudden change of background when changing systems (needs testing)
    - fixed huge video memory consumption when using high res procedural backgrounds with multisample (couldn't even start on powerful machines)
    - fixed mouse inversion when control is pressed
    - fixed crash when trying to talk to an NPC that has no affinity
    - fixed crash when using texture arrays
    - fixed server crash when update for a not existing network object comes in (after the object was deleted). It's normally already caught, but the debug message actually caused the crash in some situations
    - fixed server crash/freeze when a hacked old blueprint was uploaded to a server
    - added security that on other positions so the same method of getting the server to freeze can't be used there

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    Thanks for the constant updates, we all really appreciate it. I happened to click on \"news\" about 30 seconds after this was posted and clicked the download after that. It didn\'t work. I then read underneath it and laughed at my impetuence. Keep going strong!

-Metal

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Look even the Daves are so happy that they all want to kill each other:

Reaction score
    \"This change needs testing in connected blocks and block structure: check if your weapons, shields, etc still have the same value as before the patch, and if firing any weapons/cloak/etc result in a crash, as well as changing the assignment to the numbers of weapons.\"

...I guess a 510% increase of total thrust on my Fighter craft would count?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'ve used a 360 controler to play starmade before, it doesn\'t work as well as my Logitech joystick but it does work really well.

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Great work Schema! All is well when Schema is around! 100% support!

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Now I have an excuse to go out and grab a PC game controller.
    Kudos on the fabricator hijack fix. First thing I plan on testing!
    Thanks for a great game schema. (It only gets better!)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    1. Firing missiles didn\'t seem to work for me.
    2. Rendering (particularly of entities that exist before I enter the game) is inconsistent; sometimes things show up only partially, sometimes not at all.
    3. When I tried to leave my ship, my camera got stuck in \"ship mode\" (The camera was still tracking the ship.). When I left and reentered the game, I found my character to be where he was when I entered the ship core, my crew members weren\'t loaded, and there were \"ghost\" models of my docked entities sitting around.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    4. Strangely jumpy movement... There seem to be intervals of high speed \"jumps/teleports\" and normal-speed walking and running.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh, and the lighting with shadows is kind of strange inside ships... For some reason it\'s nigh-impossible to get rid of weird shadows anywhere there\'s anything but flat surfaces. It\'s also possible to get shadows that end up ON light blocks, rather than the light blocks lighting up the shadows.

Reaction score
    will confirm that Rendering is inconsistent. Can exit and reload and the ships/stations will not show all the same blocks - the blocks are there as I cannot move past them.

Reaction score
    implemented \"lighten\" mode for advanced build mode (makes blocks brighter)

I was waiting for this since the new texture packs. My favourite black hull was to dark for comfortable use.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    ok so I\'m unsure how to install the new build, can eny one help, I\'m not vary computer sevy

Reaction score
    Hmm, defective renderingn, not possible to open plexdoors, cannot drop new cores, even after resetting the universe. Spawned a ship, quit, restarted, turrets gone.