Suggested Mini "quarter" hull blocks

Reaction score
    I'm just a (very excited) newb, hopefully I'm not suggesting something common...

Because blocks are 1m^3, fine detail isn't really possible. This is irrelevant for large ships which can be made stunningly beautiful at 1m resolution, but small fighters etc look quite chunky and coarse.

Perhaps, for hull and armour blocks only, there could be blocks that are 0.5m*0.5m*0.5m (i.e. 8 would fit into the volume of a normal block - two mini blocks in each direction). This would allow much nicer looking tiny ships....

I don't know how feasible it is, but slabs are available so it's certainly possible.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I believe, but am not certain, that the devs have rejected this.

Plus, because of the way the game is built, you cannot have two blocks occupying the same cube. This would be a pretty useless feature because of that fact alone.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Plus, because of the way the game is built, you cannot have two blocks occupying the same cube. This would be a pretty useless feature because of that fact alone.
    Pretty much this.

I'm sorry to say, but "mini blocks" have been suggested over and over again. It's not possible with the current state of the game and probably will never happen.

On regards of good looking small ships: It's mainly a matter of practice do build something small and very good looking. If you struggle do do so, try a bigger scale. I personally like ships of the 100m-150m variety. You can do really cool details on this scale and the ships are still relativly small and compact

Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I think what they rejected was reducing the size of all blocks, i.e. a single block becoming 8 blocks.

I'm not suggesting that, I'm suggesting an "expansion" of slabs. A slab cuts a block in half once, I'm suggesting they be cut three times, once on each axis.

You're right, I was only suggesting one mini block per block location, and I agree that wouldn't be hugely useful unless you also had "half slabs" (these names I'm using are terrible), which is a block cut twice (half a slab).
    That's a total of 20 new blocks (without new smaller wedges), which means blocks would have to go to 4 bytes, but I'm not suggesting at all the 8x overall increase that the devs have already rejected.

Anyway, as it seems like such a common idea I'll just drop this suggestion now! :)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I may be wrong, but I think what they rejected was reducing the size of all blocks, i.e. a single block becoming 8 blocks.

I'm not suggesting that, I'm suggesting an "expansion" of slabs. A slab cuts a block in half once, I'm suggesting they be cut three times, once on each axis.

You're right, I was only suggesting one mini block per block location, and I agree that wouldn't be hugely useful unless you also had "half slabs" (these names I'm using are terrible), which is a block cut twice (half a slab).
    That's a total of 20 new blocks (without new smaller wedges), which means blocks would have to go to 4 bytes, but I'm not suggesting at all the 8x overall increase that the devs have already rejected.

Anyway, as it seems like such a common idea I'll just drop this suggestion now! :)
    Yea sorry but it has been suggested Rejected - Big Cubes and Small Cubes

But to still go in on this suggestion, I'd go with a system 100% similar to space engineers, Small and big ships. The difference is the core of the ship, the rest every block works exactly the same but is just smaller. It would fix the problem that it is impossible with the way blocks work right now because it requires a whole new way that will never mix with the big blocks. It also fixes that placement problem and possibly it wouldn't require new IDs but I don't know about that one. The small ship would have a block limit of X changeable by servers (to make sure we don't get cruisers made of tiny blocks) They could put all values through a multiplier of 0.25 (because it's 1/4 the size) or they could keep it the same (crazily increasing the strength of small ships) or maybe only half all values.
    Just some brainstorming :P

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    QUADRUPLE ARMOUR !!! Multiple docks can overlap in the same area
    But to still go in on this suggestion, I'd go with a system 100% similar to space engineers, Small and big ships. The difference is the core of the ship, the rest every block works exactly the same but is just smaller. It would fix the problem that it is impossible with the way blocks work right now because it requires a whole new way that will never mix with the big blocks. It also fixes that placement problem and possibly it wouldn't require new IDs but I don't know about that one. The small ship would have a block limit of X changeable by servers (to make sure we don't get cruisers made of tiny blocks) They could put all values through a multiplier of 0.25 (because it's 1/4 the size) or they could keep it the same (crazily increasing the strength of small ships) or maybe only half all values.
    Just some brainstorming :p
    Small ships, big ships - very nice, no additional block IDs.
    But I would implement some sort of greebly docking first, where the core is a docker to lock a ship in a 0.5xyz aligned grid position.

It would make logic-keyboards and CPU's a lot smaller too BTW I wouldn't mind block-hp getting scrapped for small just-logic ships.

Last edited:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Carpentry for the win!

I believe that I have a solution that works although it does use up Block-IDs.

Slabs...with beveled edges! [Edges angled at 45 degrees]

A multi-stack for armour & hull. You would want the following variants (of the thinnest slab):
    -Beveled one side.
    -Beveled opposite sides.
    -Beveled two sides at right-angle.
    -Beveled three sides.
    -Beveled on all four.

These additions would add tremendously to the finer detailing of small ships.

edit: *Hijack-link with vote. ;) Beveled slabs for fine detail

Last edited:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Before this happens, I want a better inventory management.
    I am with you on that one. The inventory definitely needs an overhaul. That fact is a given but it should not deter us from introducing new blocks if they are merited.