Minecraft in Space?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Is that a compliment or a put-down? I honestly hope Starmade is not Minecraft in Space. Minecraft became popular since it was really one of the first voxel games. I think minecraft was fun for a while, but once you have built twenty castles and dug numerous mineshafts it becomes boring. Only with mods has minecraft been playable for me. Starmade can become so much more than minecraft with some creative thought.
    Minecraft is an amazingly popular game that anyone will have heard of. By invoking the name, you can easily give people a reference point to understanding what Starmade is. A lot fewer people are going to know what you're talking about if you say a space-based voxel game. That is the end of the comparison. Whenever I make the comparison, I always continue by stating how much better Starmade is with all of the advanced building tools.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    "Minecraft inspired sandbox space shooter" seems to be the direction we go in by default.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Glad to hear it. I never liked that tag line.
    I've always used this one: "StarMade is a sci-fi inspired sandbox set in space."

It kinda promises the things you love about sci-fi space themes are the norm within the game. Because a space game could be anything from Space Invaders to KSP. No, this is StarMade.. Grab your ion pistol, your laser sword, put on your space pajamas and get ready for a fun ride that you built yourself! Woo!

Critical review of this game:
    "Better than Tetris with sheep!" -WarSong

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    But if Microsoft ever buys this game I'm gonna detonate a nuke in bill gates face.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    But if Microsoft ever buys this game I'm gonna detonate a nuke in bill gates face.
    Well, I'd also blow one up in schema's face, because schine isn't a corporation, and thus cannot be bought without permission from the owner.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    ok less talk about blowing things up.
    if the game got sold to anyone it'd prolly be just the engine. i doubt schema would want to let go of schine or star-made but he would gladly license the engine. meaning someone else might make a competing product based on the same code. more than likely the schine engine would get used in other things that need the physics calculations and cross platform portability.

D

Deleted member 301635

I remember reading (correct me if I'm wrong) that Starmade has existed as a concept since around 2004, but Schema didn't know how to implement it properly until recently.

Reaction score
    Only with mods has minecraft been playable for me.
    Heh, funny thing, toward the end of my stint playing Minecraft, even mods got boring for me. Most of them ultimately boiled down to spending oodles of resources to do repetitive tasks in your base... and once you reach the end of the linear progression, you're left with overpowered equipment and nothing to really do with it. While I did like Railcraft in particular (I really, really like trains, okay?), rails are completely impractical compared to the teleportation/flight mechanics introduced in nearly every other major mod out there, thus no one else on the myriad of servers I played on was really that interested... not to mention there is no good reason to build any sort of transportation system, as resources are more or less homogenous. </ramble>

Anywho, I myself have done this once or twice mostly because it's a very brief way to convey the gist of the game without having to explain what a voxel is. Sad, but what can you do?

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I don't see how "Inspired by minecraft" is an insult. Didn't Schema play minecraft at some point and think "I can do this, and take it beyond the surface"? Or something like that. The simple fact is, the game WAS inspired in part by Minecraft. There is no shame in taking inspiration from things, so long as you don't remake the pitfalls, as that would then make it a clone.

Saying it is an insult just means you are an over zealous hater of minecraft. You don't have to like the game, that's cool, but keep your views about that game with that game.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A description mentioning another game is a hook to help new potential players prepare for what to expect from the game. It can help draw in players who use search engines to find things like "game like minecraft with flying spaceships".

If we really did start describing it as ""Better than Tetris with sheep!" -WarSong", then new players might expect a game with falling blocks that need to be lined up. With sheep. Which is somewhat true near planets. Except that the sheep are laser spiders.

Reaction score
    ...and I'm just sitting here, using "MINECRAFT IN SPACE" as my Steam username.

Seriously, though: Grand Theft Auto is semi-derivative of many works, including Body Harvest (which was made by the same guys who made the original GTA, so I guess you can call it self-plagarism) and Driver 2. Yet, anytime someone brings up a crime-y-sandboxy game, it's a GTA clone.

Reaction score
    Starmade is so far beyond Minecraft, that it's just an insult to compare them.
    Why are you so offended by the comparison? Schema is the one who made it, and its about HIS game. HE is the one who said that HE took inspiration from Minecraft. HIM, not you.

Reaction score
    Although saying "Minecraft in space" isn't very accurate if at all accurate, but it's probably the easiest way to describe games like Terraria and Starmade. I played Minecraft from around 1.0 to 1.6, and then quit for good once the community was flooded by 10-12 year olds who can't form a correct sentence. Funny thing is, Minecraft is one of the most popular games out there nowadays, and yet has hardly any content compared to most other games. I just go to think it became famous the same way Flappy Bird and Potato Salad became famous, in otherwords Minecraft likely just became famous for no real reason.

Reaction score
    (because that's what minecraft is, a failure)
    What?
    It is the most sold PC game of all time. I wouldn't call that a failure.

The main problem with Minecraft is that 95% of its player base are 6-8 year-olds

The main problem with Starmade is that it is full of bugs and broken mechanics (being an alpha game)

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The most solid PC game of all time is DOOM. And don't you forget it :3 (never did like the game myself but dang it endures)

The entire mission of this forum is to provide feedback for the game as it develops. That's where this thread and many similar come in. The game and its community are still in the alpha state. As it is now we are getting burnt-out minecraft users and disenfranchised spacesim players a place in common. Clashes are going to happen. Comparisons made. And from this the development will evolve, guided by the unseen paw of the great grey one and his loyal schine minions.

:schema:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Why are you so offended by the comparison? Schema is the one who made it, and its about HIS game. HE is the one who said that HE took inspiration from Minecraft. HIM, not you.
    Who the hell said I was offended? despite being in alpha, Starmade is already a bigger, better and more optimised game. It's like comparing amoebas and humans on the genetic level now.

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Who the hell said I was offended? despite being in alpha, Starmade is already a bigger, better and more optimised game. It's like comparing amoebas and humans on the genetic level now.
    I might disagree with more optimised. Minecraft runs far better on my computer.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Heh, funny thing, toward the end of my stint playing Minecraft, even mods got boring for me. Most of them ultimately boiled down to spending oodles of resources to do repetitive tasks in your base... and once you reach the end of the linear progression, you're left with overpowered equipment and nothing to really do with it. While I did like Railcraft in particular (I really, really like trains, okay?), rails are completely impractical compared to the teleportation/flight mechanics introduced in nearly every other major mod out there, thus no one else on the myriad of servers I played on was really that interested... not to mention there is no good reason to build any sort of transportation system, as resources are more or less homogenous. </ramble>

Anywho, I myself have done this once or twice mostly because it's a very brief way to convey the gist of the game without having to explain what a voxel is. Sad, but what can you do?
    Right. Minecraft with mods is all about exhausting content. At least in vanilla you focus on creativity.

Starmade now... that's another story; another book; another universe. You can get all the resources in the world and still have stuff to do, places to go, people to lob nukes at for popping the bubble you built and flew through hyperspace just a little too close to their overly-aggressive sentry gun... Yeah, I think Starmade could become just as much as a phenomenon as Minecraft has been.

I definitely won't bash Minecraft. It's always had and still has some simplistic and addicting charm. I'll be back at it when I get in the mood, although I expect to play starmade far more frequently than Minecraft in the future if I can balance it properly with college.