Minecraft in Space?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Is that a compliment or a put-down? I honestly hope Starmade is not Minecraft in Space. Minecraft became popular since it was really one of the first voxel games. I think minecraft was fun for a while, but once you have built twenty castles and dug numerous mineshafts it becomes boring. Only with mods has minecraft been playable for me. Starmade can become so much more than minecraft with some creative thought.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is one of the things I don't like about starmade. And I know it shouldn't affect anything, but it does. I've come to have strong negative feelings towards minecraft (and that is kindly put), and having starmade advertising itself as a minecraft-inspired game, doesn't really feel good.

Edit: I'm now falling back in love with starmade by the way. The recent changes were a bit of a letdown, but the customisability should save the day (or rather, the next day, I'm not going to be doing anything today anymore). I don't like the pulsing beams, but I just realised that I can just change them. So long live starmade! And may it never become like minecraft (so taken over by microsoft and becoming a boring game without mods).

Edit 2: I persoanlly feel that mods are essential to any game's existance. But when the game doesn't recognise that (still no minecraft modding API) and the game is boring without the mods (still talking about minecraft), and the game is already fully released for a couple of years (and I'm still talking about minecraft), I consider the game failed (because that's what minecraft is, a failure),

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I feel that unlike Minecraft, Starmade has the balls to change itself in big ways, for the better.

(for example, moving away from a pixel style thanks to Kupu)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive

Minecraft is steeped in allegations that it ripped of Infiniminer.

Minecraft has become popular not because of incredible game mechanics, impressive graphics and an engaging and fun online. It's because it generated a couple of memes that children latched onto and never shut the fuck up about. And it's very core, the game is quite shallow and limited, and gets boring after you build that first castle

To call Starmade a 'Minecraft in Space' is just an insult. The game in alpha is already far more impressive than Minecraft will ever be, and that won't change.

I mean for goodness sake, we can sit down in Starmade.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually I can't see much comparison between Minecraft and StarMade apart from the fact they both use blocks to build structures.
    I won't bash Minecraft because I've enjoyed many hours of building, exploring, mining and whatever else there is to do there, but as said before after some time you know the routine of setting up a mineshaft, a farm and maybe a breeder for mobs to get other tools.

I'd say only the complexity of StarMade alone is enough to not even think it's anything like Minecraft, in space or anywhere else. The sheer possibilities in StarMade already are enough to make the average Minecraft player be dazzled and maybe even dig a big hole to get away from all these choices and decisions. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Minecraft has become popular not because of incredible game mechanics, impressive graphics and an engaging and fun online. It's because it generated a couple of memes that children latched onto and never shut the fuck up about. And it's very core, the game is quite shallow and limited, and gets boring after you build that first castle
    Sorry, that's just bs. Minecraft is way better than Infiniminer (and is mainly inspired by Dwarf Fortress anyway). If you got bored after building a castle, then you simply lack creativity.

I'd say StarMade is basically Minecraft 3.0. Minecraft 2.0 is the zeppelin mod, which lets you build and use planes and ships (and zeppelins of course).

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is one of the things I don't like about starmade. And I know it shouldn't affect anything, but it does. I've come to have strong negative feelings towards minecraft (and that is kindly put), and having starmade advertising itself as a minecraft-inspired game, doesn't really feel good.

Edit: I'm now falling back in love with starmade by the way. The recent changes were a bit of a letdown, but the customisability should save the day (or rather, the next day, I'm not going to be doing anything today anymore). I don't like the pulsing beams, but I just realised that I can just change them. So long live starmade! And may it never become like minecraft (so taken over by microsoft and becoming a boring game without mods).

Edit 2: I persoanlly feel that mods are essential to any game's existance. But when the game doesn't recognise that (still no minecraft modding API) and the game is boring without the mods (still talking about minecraft), and the game is already fully released for a couple of years (and I'm still talking about minecraft), I consider the game failed (because that's what minecraft is, a failure),
    Minecraft is by no means a failure. It may be playing it safe, but it started as a pioneer; the beginning of a genre really. Besides, regardless of dev decisions, the raw numbers dictate that it's a success. It isn't a subscription game, so all that matters is how many people bought it.
    And that's one HUGE number.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

To call Starmade a 'Minecraft in Space' is just an insult. The game in alpha is already far more impressive than Minecraft will ever be, and that won't change.

Nah, I'd say that part of the fun in Minecraft is because of the interesting scenarios and creative solutions to problems (aside from "mine your way out!") that crop up because of it's general lack of rules or goals.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Starmade is kinda difficult to describe if you're a veteran, but if you're new, then "Minecraft in Space" is the first thing that might come to mind.

We should definitely change the description to "Voxel based space sandbox" or something more intelligent sounding like that, though.

Edit: Also, the "Minecraft in space" tag gets a few Google hits here and there, I'm sure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Ok, first up, it's not the memes that get people hooked on minecraft. It's the tiny little details; your first achievement if you played post-beta 1.4 (beta 1.5 added achievements), the fun you can have just mining away and building cool things. Sure, modded MC makes it cooler, adding in new dimensions and new opportunities, but that's about it. However, minecraft also offers simplicity and the perfect learning curve; you get owned by a creeper, set it to peaceful and train up on cows and sheep and all that. Then try easy again.

Second, yes, you're right; Minecraft is rather limited, having only plugins allowing you to sit down, and certain mods as well, unless you make a minecart chair system.

But overall, starmade is better; you spawn in with all the stuff to get started, maybe a planet to base yourself on nearby as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I don't mean to rag on minecraft, I have had a lot of fun in that game. It is a brilliant concept and probably deserves the popularity it has garnered. However, I think Starmade can push so far beyond minecraft it is unimaginable. Now that minecraft is owned by Microsoft it may go in entirely new directions, but probably not.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The similarity stops at a block grid. And even then, starmade's block structures can move around, unlike MC....

To compare them is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes, they are both round, but that's about it.

Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The similarity stops at a block grid. And even then, starmade's block structures can move around, unlike MC....

To compare them is like comparing square apples and square oranges. Yes, they are both square, but that's about it.
    I fixed this.

Reaction score
    I feel like one of few that actually liked Minecraft... I bought it when it was indev and still played it right up to the Microsoft buyout.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I feel like one of few that actually liked Minecraft... I bought it when it was indev and still played it right up to the Microsoft buyout.
    Oh I did too, it's just that past a certain point even mods were repetitive and boring. In starmade there's always stuff to do. Heck, I'm still making my first ship after more than a year of building ^_^ (I did make more than 1 ship in that time, but I'm still working on the first one I started).

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The main reason that made me abandon Minecraft and come to Starmade back in 2013 was the blueprint system. Today there is MCEdit, but it is just far more complicated to use, and back in time there were no such tools.

My group from the past, the Clan RATO used to have a giant, uber, titanic base inside a minecraft server (plus 4 outposts), but due to some fighthing and rude admins, the server ended up closed. Me and all of my friends got really, really pissed off since all the months, hours of pure work setting this base and the detailing up were all for nothing. Lost everything.

At least on Starmade, you can save your ships (blueprint), and it is likely that we will be able to save our spacestations as well in the future without the need of any admin. Only the gathering of credits is required, but it is easy to get them back.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    Excuse my language but this pisses me off...*EVERYTHING* where you can place blocks now is 'Minecraft meets X'

This is stupid! For gods sake it's like 'Skyrim with guns' and is so ridiculous! Yes, games are similar and comparing them to similar games helps move fans from one game to another and YES I KNOW starmade is very similar to Minecraft in some mechanics but it's such a cliché now!

For once I'd like to see a sandbox game be called its own! Factorio is where you 'automate Minecraft' and Terraria is '2d minecraft' (which it is admittedly but it's more like Metroid.)

It came to a head when I saw a review for the upcoming Simcity-if-it-was-done-right-clone Cities Skylines wherein the review called the game 'Like Minecraft if it had skyscrapers instead of blocks'

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think this game has ten times the potential that Minecraft once had, and calling it "Minecraft in space" is like calling a Ferrari a bicycle with four wheels and an engine.

Reaction score
    Of course it is. Explaining a game in one sentence is a good way to show its basic concept. In the case of Minecraft vs. StarMade, it will yield almost the exact same results for both games, which is simply due to the fact that the basic concept is the same. In both games you collect blocks and use those to build blocky, yet awesome stuff. Details like graphics or "can fly around" don't matter here. Try to explain to your parents the difference between both games, or between COD and BF, or between soccer game 1 and soccer game 2. The difference is more in the heads of the community, as it has always been the case between communities of similar games.

Starmade is kinda difficult to describe if you're a veteran, but if you're new, then "Minecraft in Space" is the first thing that might come to mind.
    You are right, as always.

Edit: Also, the "Minecraft in space" tag gets a few Google hits here and there, I'm sure.
    This is actually how I came here after being told about the game.

It came to a head when I saw a review for the upcoming Simcity-if-it-was-done-right-clone Cities Skylines wherein the review called the game 'Like Minecraft if it had skyscrapers instead of blocks'
    Stupid people being stupid doesn't change the fact that StarMade is Minecraft in space. :P

calling a Ferrari a bicycle with four wheels and an engine.
    Now, that is obviously stupid. It's a lowered-down carriage, not a bicycle. It even has a horse!

Reaction score
    People will compare things to a more popular. Its a way to related things. "Target, It's like a brighter Wal-Mart". It doesn't matter who came first or if Wal-Mart invented retail shops... It's a matter of familiarity.