Minecraft in Space?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    starmade has the nicer blocks but starmade lacks the possibilities and fun redstone provides. you might ask why or you may wonder what i wish that hoppers maybe would be in the game, when we can filter everything into another box. Because just turning filterin on, is not the same depth as creating a complex contraption, - that will fire sandblocks at creepers (fun) and this is the freedom minecrafts redstone provides, you can come up with crazy stuff and build crazy machines. Compared to this richness, starmade is very limited in what it's logic can do. Regarding it's possibilities minecraft is still way ahaead of what starmade actually offers - is it? Well i like the concept of logic blocks too but i am lacking pistons, slime blocks, tnt mobs to farm... , on the other hand do we need them? I mean doors are present. Well no, starmade does not need them, because who wants to enjoy bulding contraptions and mob farms might for sure already have a minecraft account, so why bother. Minecraft in space? I would rather use "did you like to build spaceships with your legos as kid? wanna fly them? then starmade is your game." same as "did you like building castles and loved laying out traps with lego? like to prank people maybe dropping anvils on them or building crazy contraptions? then minecraft is something for you." In comparison to minecraft i find the entire crafting of SM plain boring so i play creative most of the time and just build. I love survival in Minecraft, for it provides some depth and thrill and the redstone, starmade can't compete with yet.
    But i am optimistic, i experienced how stuff changes in alpha in starmade, so i am just enjoying the starmade ride and see where it gets us.
    Gladly i just can play which game i actually want.

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 301635

starmade has the nicer blocks but starmade lacks the possibilities and fun redstone provides. you might ask why or you may wonder what i wish that hoppers maybe would be in the game, when we can filter everything into another box. Because just turning filterin on, is not the same depth as creating a complex contraption, - that will fire sandblocks at creepers (fun) and this is the freedom minecrafts redstone provides, you can come up with crazy stuff and build crazy machines. Compared to this richness, starmade is very limited in what it's logic can do. Regarding it's possibilities minecraft is still way ahaead of what starmade actually offers - is it? Well i like the concept of logic blocks too but i am lacking pistons, slime blocks, tnt mobs to farm... , on the other hand do we need them? I mean doors are present. Well no, starmade does not need them, because who wants to enjoy bulding contraptions and mob farms might for sure already have a minecraft account, so why bother. Minecraft in space? I would rather use "did you like to build spaceships with your legos as kid? wanna fly them? then starmade is your game." same as "did you like building castles and loved laying out traps with lego? like to prank people maybe dropping anvils on them or building crazy contraptions? then minecraft is something for you." In comparison to minecraft i find the entire crafting of SM plain boring so i play creative most of the time and just build. I love survival in Minecraft, for it provides some depth and thrill and the redstone, starmade can't compete with yet.
    But i am optimistic, i experienced how stuff changes in alpha in starmade, so i am just enjoying the starmade ride and see where it gets us.
    Gladly i just can play which game i actually want.
    What you don't get is that Starmade isn't going to be that much like Minecraft.
    The evolutionary paths of both games diverged long ago. Minecraft is about survival, crafting, etc., but Starmade is about modular spaceships and shooting things. The only thing they have in common is that they're voxel games. Besides, when the programmable AI gets implemented, it's going to make redstone look like a child's toy in comparison.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    What you don't get
    That is your assumption. I am well aware of the differences and stuff planed to come. Still comparing both each has it's shiny bits.
    And survival is not starmades bright side, that is much more fun in minecraft.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What you don't get is that Starmade isn't going to be that much like Minecraft.
    The evolutionary paths of both games diverged long ago. Minecraft is about survival, crafting, etc., but Starmade is about modular spaceships and shooting things. The only thing they have in common is that they're voxel games.
    Ummm, no.
    There is of course the shooty shooty and ships, but it is meant to encompass crafting and survival too. The full shooty experience is either with creative-like block spawning or survival play generated ships. I agree the tone and style is totally different, but it is meant to be a survival game.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420236274,1420235987][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The most solid PC game of all time is DOOM. And don't you forget it :3 (never did like the game myself but dang it endures)
    Check again, he was right. There's a bunch of sources I could list but you'll find it anywhere. Just sayin.

Edit: automerge is awesome

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is an open-shut case. Starmade has Nopes. Minecraft does not. Starmade is love, Starmade is life.

Actually, I had to force myself to quit SM for a while because I never played anything else and DAMN IT I'M ON THE FORUMS AGAIN!

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    Right now, StarMade is very similar to Minecraft and will remain so. We have a game that has been playable since alpha that in some ways works to better the game by trying different things. Many suggestions for what to do next come from the community. In fact, community feedback is very important. Over time, new features became available, of which some people did and did not like. As the features were implemented certain things break and need to be fixed, but overall the performance of the game gets better over time.

That seems to match both games quite well.

Now if we look at Minecraft's past and present we can predict what is to come for StarMade and hopefully learn from Minecraft's mistakes. Obviously StarMade has already made greater strides in many ways when compared to Minecraft, but that is to be expected from a newer game. I do think that StarMade will eventually get the core game where it wants to be, which will then promote modding for features and game experiences that are not offered by the core game, just like Minecraft.

What I'm hoping StarMade does not become, is a popular game among the horrible gamers that have made the Minecraft community almost unbearable to deal with. I also hope StarMade makes a lot of the features in the game to be configurable by default. I think a lot of time is wasted in Minecraft having to configure multiple mods that just configure what the core game should be able to by default. Mo configurable options Mo better in my opinion.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    That is your assumption. I am well aware of the differences and stuff planed to come. Still comparing both each has it's shiny bits.
    And survival is not starmades bright side, that is much more fun in minecraft.
    This the planned creatures and stuff I think SM will have more survival factors. Another upside to SM: You can actually make catapults on planets with the EPIC physics.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This the planned creatures and stuff I think SM will have more survival factors. Another upside to SM: You can actually make catapults on planets with the EPIC physics.
    Catapults tossing detonation blocks = popular new game style. Super fun.
    People are going to want to put that stuff on their ships, just to add to the chaos of battle.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    When we say catapult, we all mean a push cannon with a small force firing at a small artillery shell, right?

The fact that there are multiple ways to do this kinda blows Minecraft away. I mean, INTERPLANETARY ARTILLERY.

Reaction score
    When we say catapult, we all mean a push cannon with a small force firing at a small artillery shell, right?

The fact that there are multiple ways to do this kinda blows Minecraft away. I mean, INTERPLANETARY ARTILLERY.
    Sounds similar to TNT cannons.

Minecraft isn't meant to focus on space in the first place, so you can't really say it "Blows minecraft away".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    What I'm hoping StarMade does not become, is a popular game among the horrible gamers that have made the Minecraft community almost unbearable to deal with.
    Luckily, Sci-fi is a few magnitudes more niche than fantasy games, so while we're not immune to what happened to minecraft we've got a natural defense against a decent amount of spergs just based on genre alone. I'd take an anal fanbase that obsesses over space, robots, and technobabble over randumb kids and meme spouting idiots that latch onto fantasy games any day of your galactic calendar of choice.

Reaction score
    Luckily, Sci-fi is a few magnitudes more niche than fantasy games, so while we're not immune to what happened to minecraft we've got a natural defense against a decent amount of spergs just based on genre alone. I'd take an anal fanbase that obsesses over space, robots, and technobabble over randumb kids and meme spouting idiots that latch onto fantasy games any day of your galactic calendar of choice.
    I think the main thing that will keep them away is the difficulty curve. People had issues figuring out minecraft, then would complain until they were banned (at least on the server I was on). I don't think they'd even make the attempt with the way the game is. For that I am thankful.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    When I started this thread I had kind of burned out on Minecraft and hadn't played it in a while. Just last week I decided to play Minecraft again and I am having a really good time. They have added several new things since I played last.

I think Starmade will eventually have more to do and see ( like missions, semi-intelligent AI factions, fleet controls, etc.) I am just grateful we have BOTH!

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Minecraft isn't meant to focus on space in the first place, so you can't really say it "Blows minecraft away".
    I wonder what would happen if we put a spaceship with guns and stuff in the sky and shot at the puny guy in the little house above a diamond mine?

Oh wait! I have a demonstration!

GetRektMineCraft
    StarmadeSwag

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    I wonder what would happen if we put a spaceship with guns and stuff in the sky and shot at the puny guy in the little house above a diamond mine?

Oh wait! I have a demonstration!

GetRektMineCraft
    StarmadeSwag
    .... touche... Well played.... Well played...

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    When I started this thread I had kind of burned out on Minecraft and hadn't played it in a while. Just last week I decided to play Minecraft again and I am having a really good time. They have added several new things since I played last.

I think Starmade will eventually have more to do and see ( like missions, semi-intelligent AI factions, fleet controls, etc.) I am just grateful we have BOTH!
    Very well put :)
    Actually, I made two holes and an axle, then made some ship gears to turn and slam a hammer down on the end of it. Harder than it sounds :/