Melee weapons in Starmade?

Reaction score
    cut me slack im new! such a rude oak. but any way i think, screw them both, malee or ranged would get slaughtered bye a ship! i think a gauntlet would be cool thou. you could get a eletrical tinkering table an make a prototype gauntlet that is empty, then upgrge it into a energy, gravity, light, ect proto gauntler them make it into advanced versions like a heavy that would require a energy block on your back, a light that you would have to charge, and other versions that would have pros and cons to them. proto gauntlets could have a chord attached to the tinker table or a power source.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Let\'s see.

Two characters appear at opposite sides of a hallway. One has a rifle, one has a sword. Need I say anymore?

That\'s me thinking logically. I think melee weapons, particularly ones you can reskin and edit, are wicked sick. But I\'d say, at the moment, the game has a lot of other things that need addressing first. As a beta feature? Sure. As a mod? Absolutely. But, for the moment, I\'d rather not.

Reaction score
    The one with the sword is a Jedu and deflects the guys bullets..so I get what you want to say, sword would win :p.

But now seriously, I absolutely agree with you

Reaction score
    what if they aren\'t on the opposite sides of that hallway? What if rifle guy turns a corner and sword guy is right there in front of him? The tables have turned.

That\'s why you need a ranged AND a melee weapon. Always use the one fitting for the situation. It\'s a moot point to consider sword vs gun fights where one side has a clear advantage. Rather, realize that this advantage can just as easily belong to the other side in different circumstances.

That is logic.

And it is reality.

Hussars had pistols and sabers. Riflemen had bayonettes. Policemen have batons, soldiers and hunters have knives, not just guns.

And it\'s happening in sci-fi all the time. Even in the really tech-heavy stories. Mass Effect had omni-blades and if I recall right, some formidable melee enemies.Star Trek\'s klingons have all sorts of blades, and I\'m sure everyone saw tech-ninjas and such a thousand times.

On one part I agree with you though; This is the last thing Starmade needs right now. There are far more pressing matters.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Swords and whatnot could be used for quiet, silent kills. Rifles and the like usually make some sort of sound, even the laser variety.

And let\'s face it: W40k-type melee weapons, while completely impractical, are the coolest. So hey, no argument from me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    One does not simply use a shotgun in close combat. The entire reason for this being it is practical and effecient and devoid of any \"class\". Now imagine any other sort of weapon. Lets take for example a power fist from w40k or one of those grav hammers for halo. You now have a perfect killing tool: complicated sounding, suitably cool and very very messy. Also you can provide all the accompanying noises as you smash your mouse bottuns. I do believe the sound of a grav hammer is slightly more entertaining than that of a shotgun.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You are joking right? Shot guns are made for close ranged fighting and they sure are effective.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    i also said id rather use something like a grav hammer simply becauuse it is cooler

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Dear sir

One does not simply use a shotgun in close combat.

Na you said they werent. And while a grav hammer is a cool idea it really doesnt fit into starmade... and it wouldnt be very powerful compared to guns, like a shotgun, unless they were OP.

Reaction score
    I think this will depend on how schema wants this game to be. More realistic or more in the way of 40k.

I would like it if we had combat knives, but only like today in real combat. You have them, but if you have to use them you are basically screwed. Nothing beats an auto shotgun in close combat.

And for those who cannot without swords, there are still mods.

Reaction score
    I what way did I indicate that I can make a mod? And why the foul language? I stated clearly that whatever or not we will have swords is up to shema and stated my opinion that would dislike them. If you would like them that is fine by me. And what you wanted was a discussion, so when you cannot handle a different opinion then don\'t open a discussion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    \"The entire reason for this is because it is prsctical and effrcient\" basicaly my point was i would rather use something with style that is useless (grav hammer) compared to something effecient but without style (shotgun)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • For duells
    • Personal shields which stop everything above certain velocity, dropping it below a threshold by turning the force against the projectiles
    • Not damaing the ship

My favourites:

• Guns and swords can be combined into one thing
    • The ship guns have some kind of radiation
    • The ammo for effective guns require a large-scale container
    • Weapon fire or better power generators would break your camouflage / disguise /cloaking.