Melee weapons in Starmade?

Reaction score
    http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?620022-Swords-in-Space-Why

Starting it off with that. Just want to discuss whether or not starmade should have melee weapons as a main weapons system. (as in used as much or more than guns)

Reaction score
    First off, think about it, imagine a person in a sheilded power-suit swinging around a 12-foot mono-molecularly-edged broadsword at inhuman speeds, performing manuvers like flips, helm splitters(look it up) and even jumping high and then stabbing the ground so hard that it causes an explosion. The sword would never dull until the sheilds went down and even then the extremely hard alloy the blade is made of.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Contrary to what I think most would feel, melee weapons could be fine. But I think that ranged weapons need to get fleshed out first before anything is done for them. For the most part swords just wouldn\'t be used in a hard sci-fi setting. There\'s almost no reason. Maybe combat knives since we still equip soldiers with them today.

Maybe some kind of lightsaber/beam saber analog. I don\'t think any fancy swordplay is needed, just 1 to 3 different swinging animations to make it seem not as repetitive. I\'m not against melee weapons, but I\'m not particularly for it either.

Reaction score
    I think that we could use some armor/guns/swords and whatever but I think that Schema should focus more on the whole ships part of the game, rather than waste time on adding new things, but then again that\'s the problem with all beta/alphas, you need to balance between adding new things and finishing/fixing that which is already there.

Reaction score
    um look at WH40K lore EVERY body firging carries a sword 41,000,000 year in the futer

sorry for spelling

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    ...is not starmade. I do think that some melee weapons would be cool, but just knives or short swords, for close range combat on ships and stations. I mainly think that combat should rely on ranged weapons.

Reaction score
    Melee weapons would be nice, but ranged should be the primay focus. Melee are really not neccesary atm

Reaction score
    This is how effective is would be in the game, assuming everything else is fixed and fleshed out. I want an arguement FOR THE EFFECTIVENESS of a sword in a sci-fi setting like starmade instead of \"swords shouldn\'t be in the gamee because blah blah blah\". Also, swords can include sheilds.

Imagine that swords are made of energy and you summon them from thin air using something like a big wristwatch. Same with sheilds. You would put away your gun, then simply press a button on two wristwtches to instantly summon a broadsword and a large, possibly projectile reflecting sheild. Your sword and sheild have their own sheild meter and when it goes down you have the possibilty of breaking your weapon next time it got damaged. The effectiveness of a sheild that just got blasted to dust is nil. You would use cover while your sheilds were recharging.

Reaction score
    Here\'s why I think melee weapons should be in StarMade.

That is all.

Reaction score
    Or something that works like both weapon and gun(like Lightning\'s sword in FF13). Right click does one thing, left lick the other

Reaction score
    Just let me build my own weapons from blocks.

First thing I\'ll have is an oversized two-handed chainsword WITH a disintegrator field. Large enough to use as a shield, or to cleave smal fighter ships in twain.

That\'s right. I. Will. Kill. Spaceships. With. SWORDS!

....will need a jetpack though, to catch up with them.

Reaction score
    I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD

If Colonel Straken can do it, so can you.

Reaction score
    why one soul wepon option, why not have 2, ranged and malee. think about it, you in a fight, you fun out of ammo and you need to fight, pull out a malee or pistol whip some one

Reaction score
    what about a gun with a baonet. that would be cool, shoot people and stabb them. or my favorite, pistol wipeing. pistol wiping sould be added, id pistol whipe a ship. grab my jetpack then pow right in the kisser