Maybe I'm having a brain fart...

Reaction score
    Although I've found a solution to this, I believe it's a bit clunky, and it's likely I'm missing the overly obvious....

I'm in need of a circuit that has three consecutive button activated states, not 4....off...on #1...on#2...and of course back to the orginal off. I've accomplished this using a simple 4 state binary counter with an additional not and delay that resets it during stage 3....but I believe it could be more efficient, without the delay, and that I'm just not seeing it....sigh

Could someone assist?

Thanks!

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Although I've found a solution to this, I believe it's a bit clunky, and it's likely I'm missing the overly obvious....

I'm in need of a circuit that has three consecutive button activated states, not 4....off...on #1...on#2...and of course back to the orginal off. I've accomplished this using a simple 4 state binary counter with an additional not and delay that resets it during stage 3....but I believe it could be more efficient, without the delay, and that I'm just not seeing it....sigh

Could someone assist?

Thanks!
    A counter is likely what I would do in code but I think you could do it with a couple flip flops and a few delays.

Is the interface actually a button? I feel like this would be easier with an activator.

Reaction score
    A counter is likely what I would do in code but I think you could do it with a couple flip flops and a few delays.

Is the interface actually a button? I feel like this would be easier with an activator.
    Actually, my current solution IS a counter...one that has 4 states. Yet I do not require it to achieve states 3 and 4 so have truncated it at stage 3 with an additional not and a delay. It works fine, but I feel as if it could be made simpler....and perhaps without the delay. And yes, the interface is a button that changes the state of the initial flip flop(s) and other flips within adjacent clocks/counters. It is a single module of a larger system.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just to clarify you have 1 button, and 3 states that cycle between presses:
    State 0 = #1 OFF & #2 OFF
    State 1 = #1 ON & #2 OFF
    Sate 2 = #1 OFF & #2 ON

Do I have that right?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not sure if this is what you wanted, it is a 3 state button BUT there is a 'double press' needed to advance from the State 0. There are no DELAY block involved, which I think was your primary concern. You could add a delay to skip the extra press with a little more logic.

Sadly that extra delay makes (what sounds like) your original design.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen

Here you have without a delay. A counter that goes from 1 to 3
    No delay added and its very robustic. You can spam or try destroy the counter as you want but the logic will find itself (unless you mess around with the flip flop but those should not be in reach of humans)

The pannel you want to read is the flip flops.
    00 = 1, 01 = 2, 11 = 3.
    3 different states. And once on 3 you will return to 1.

Was a fun morning problem ;)

Reactions: Exozen
    Reaction score
    Thanks a bunch Achriel and Deez and sorry for the late response (I was away for a bit)!