Implemented Maximum Mass limit.

Reaction score
    Gigantism needs to STOP! Too many players and factions going around in server cracking titans! Nothing can fight them toe to toe but another titan and thus building more is further encouraged!

Rant is over now dont worry, What im suggesting is a maximum stable mass limit on ships, If you build any larger then you ship will be suddenly racked by "Structural Failures" Meaning that the ship cannot support all that mass, And will start to disintegrate unless you remove the offending blocks.

This should hopefully reduce the size of these ships and encourage smaller less laggy and more nimble builds.

Another way to do this would be to make shields dysfunctional after a maximum amount meaning that a titan size ship wouldnt have 100's of millions of shields, And would be vulnerable to much smaller ships making them obsolete for anything other than perhaps salvaging and functioning as a carrier.

As anyone can notice here this is not a buff of small vessels but instead a mega Nerf of inappropriately large vessels.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love the idea of an over-sized ship breaking apart, as if it was in a sun as shown in the recent update video (bits and pieces flying off all over).

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    well, have you tried making a massive ship? it takes time and the resources required hardly make it. also nobody wants to have to spend hours making a masterpiece/1:1 replica of the UNSC infinity to have it debuffed by a maximum mass limit.

also most of the ships on the community content section are all small ships/medium ships (recently at least. go back a few and you might find a few biguns)

and also, small ships (in large numbers, often of less total mass of the larger ship) will almost always win over the larger ship. I know, I made a small ship with no shields and a simple AMC, multiply that ship by 20 and it will destroy most medium ships, with 2000 (if you can handle it) NOTHING WILL SURVIVE. so that alone is a reason that people build smaller ships, also multiple smaller ships generally win against such swarms.

also, this is my view on people wanting a limit on the size of ships in this game
    hatredintensifies.gif
    and I build small ships (Sarha on the other hand is obsessed with making a 5km long carrier)

Reaction score
    GameConfig.xml:
    XML:
      <ShipLimits>
         <Mass>1000.0</Mass>  
         <Blocks>100</Blocks>  
       </ShipLimits>

Reactions: ToasterBorst
    Reaction score
    GameConfig.xml:
    XML:
      <ShipLimits>
         <Mass>1000.0</Mass> 
         <Blocks>100</Blocks> 
       </ShipLimits>
    This. It's already been said before that mass limits won't be turned on by default.

And as already stated numbers win out over size in Starmade. The only issue at the moment as fielding them, but since fleet controls are just around the corner I expect that to be less of an issue.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    If you are speaking on the side of a server owner:
    Change the configs

If you are speaking on the side of a client joining a server:
    Speak to the server admin to get option changed.

On the side of a builder:
    WTF?

On the side of a RP Server person:
    Need to get some idea of size in place of the ships and the ships that are available to build.

On a survival server:
    Hmm, build bigger to live.

my 2 cents from Salty Sal

Reaction score
    well, have you tried making a massive ship? it takes time and the resources required hardly make it. also nobody wants to have to spend hours making a masterpiece/1:1 replica of the UNSC infinity to have it debuffed by a maximum mass limit.

also most of the ships on the community content section are all small ships/medium ships (recently at least. go back a few and you might find a few biguns)

and also, small ships (in large numbers, often of less total mass of the larger ship) will almost always win over the larger ship. I know, I made a small ship with no shields and a simple AMC, multiply that ship by 20 and it will destroy most medium ships, with 2000 (if you can handle it) NOTHING WILL SURVIVE. so that alone is a reason that people build smaller ships, also multiple smaller ships generally win against such swarms.

also, this is my view on people wanting a limit on the size of ships in this game
    View attachment 22136
    and I build small ships (Sarha on the other hand is obsessed with making a 5km long carrier)
    A 5km carrier would still be possible, Note the "Mass" limit not size, If you build it with metal mesh then it will easily fit within the limit, Also as for fighter swarms, How much time does it take to manufacture those, Plus i dont think any server could survive thousands of AI drones, And in that case titans would still reign supreme, A mass limit is the only way to go about it, Titans are horribly unfair in combat, And highly damaging to server, I was playing on a server once just trying to mine asteroids, While two factions were having a titan battle and the lag was so horrible i had to leave the server. Titans should not be allowed, You can still build giant ships but not ones with fully fleshed out interiors and systems or anything else that would at that size kill a server. The mass limit is the most fair way of going about it as carriers and freighters are still possible.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454629878,1454629676][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This. It's already been said before that mass limits won't be turned on by default.

And as already stated numbers win out over size in Starmade. The only issue at the moment as fielding them, but since fleet controls are just around the corner I expect that to be less of an issue.
    Yes but as the guy a ways above pointed out: You could need thousands of drones to take out a titan. That many while less expensive than the titan would still be hard to produce and would be even laggier than the titan itself because of the sheer number of entities, In fact im not even sure if a server could survive 2000 AI Drones attacking at once.

Reaction score
    Gigantism needs to STOP! Too many players and factions going around in server cracking titans! Nothing can fight them toe to toe but another titan and thus building more is further encouraged!
    IMO you should wait and see what the fleet system looks like before you go making that kind of statement, since we're supposedly getting it in at least a partial state next release. Mass limits aren't happening

Reaction score
    IMO you should wait and see what the fleet system looks like before you go making that kind of statement, since we're supposedly getting it in at least a partial state next release. Mass limits aren't happening
    The fleet system still cant explain how a server could survive 2000 drones, Small ships may be capable of killing a ship larger than itself, But the number required to kill a titan would be impossible, Utterly impossible!

Reaction score
    You're actually wrong there. You need 5 or 6 ships, coming up to less than half of the mass of the bigger ship, on average.

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    A 5km carrier would still be possible, Note the "Mass" limit not size, If you build it with metal mesh then it will easily fit within the limit, Also as for fighter swarms, How much time does it take to manufacture those, Plus i dont think any server could survive thousands of AI drones, And in that case titans would still reign supreme, A mass limit is the only way to go about it, Titans are horribly unfair in combat, And highly damaging to server, I was playing on a server once just trying to mine asteroids, While two factions were having a titan battle and the lag was so horrible i had to leave the server. Titans should not be allowed, You can still build giant ships but not ones with fully fleshed out interiors and systems or anything else that would at that size kill a server. The mass limit is the most fair way of going about it as carriers and freighters are still possible.
    well me and Sarha made a very basic server, it could easily handle 2000 fighters, also individual ships don't cause that much lag compared to turrets. also Sarha is making a combat useful carrier, so it is made out of different hulls and she is trying to make it look pretty. so either way it is going to be heavy as f.

I know my swarms, a 1m mass titan can be taken out by 200 fighters of 224 mass. I got no lag, however the turrets from a 10k mass ship covered in turrets caused more lag.

also you need to try building a larger ship, then you will understand why a mass limit is ridiculous. and in PVP build bigger or get bigger (get in a faction)

Reaction score
    The fleet system still cant explain how a server could survive 2000 drones, Small ships may be capable of killing a ship larger than itself, But the number required to kill a titan would be impossible, Utterly impossible!

2000 drones vs a titan should be possible in sectors that are unloaded.
    Second of all you wouldn't need nearly as many as you are stating to kill a titan. The only way that number makes any sense is if you are an absolutely terrible builder at small scales.

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I was the one who said 2000 fighters.....it was because I was bored and I wanted to know what it would look like...so I spawned in 2000 termigons and then in a moment of insanity I spawned in the largest capital ship I could find (it had a mass of 242m I don't know what it is called because it was just called "blueprint *insert number here*")
    suffice to say 2000 small ships will kill anything

and so will putting a mass limit in a sandbox game

Reaction score
    well me and Sarha made a very basic server, it could easily handle 2000 fighters, also individual ships don't cause that much lag compared to turrets. also Sarha is making a combat useful carrier, so it is made out of different hulls and she is trying to make it look pretty. so either way it is going to be heavy as f.

I know my swarms, a 1m mass titan can be taken out by 200 fighters of 224 mass. I got no lag, however the turrets from a 10k mass ship covered in turrets caused more lag.

also you need to try building a larger ship, then you will understand why a mass limit is ridiculous. and in PVP build bigger or get bigger (get in a faction)
    Its not all that easy for me though, I personally feel that titans are too time consuming in terms of resources and credits, When this is a game and games should be about competitive fun, not building massive ships that if destroyed will utterly bring you to tears. Plus i've never built a titan really, I kinda have ADD which means if it takes more than two or three hours i get bored of it. So yes my singleplayer games are riddles with unfinished hulks.

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Its not all that easy for me though, I personally feel that titans are too time consuming in terms of resources and credits, When this is a game and games should be about competitive fun, not building massive ships that if destroyed will utterly bring you to tears. Plus i've never built a titan really, I kinda have ADD which means if it takes more than two or three hours i get bored of it. So yes my singleplayer games are riddles with unfinished hulks.
    and that is also why there should not be a mass limit, because some people like to make a ship as big as they can no matter how long it takes them.
    and trust me it really does make you proud when your faction becomes the most powerful on the server and literally every other faction is against you and all you have is a really big ship and a few smaller ships and a lot of stations because you used up the resources of an entire galaxy making your ship.
    even though I cried when I saw this massive ship that had became a mobile fortress get slowly taken destroyed by the joint efforts of a few small factions...I felt so proud of this game that people can build so large, yet at the same time have so many smaller ships.

and if there was a mass limit and if my super capital ship that me and a few friends spent two months working on was slowly falling apart under its own weight and its shields were not what we had made them to be. I wouldn't not have enjoyed that day when the goliath was destroyed, it was the last hope for total domination. but seeing the small ships of the other factions slowly destroy the jack of all trades filled my soul with determination that I will rebuild and even if I am the last of the faction, I will retake my galaxy.

so yeah, no to mass limit. yes to massive ships getting taken out by MULTIPLE small ships

cookiedred.jpg
    this is me when I see people say that big ships should not exist because they are too unbalanced. they exist because they are unbalanced and will only get wrecked if multiple smaller ships go against it, or likewise a bigger ship.

Reaction score
    and that is also why there should not be a mass limit, because some people like to make a ship as big as they can no matter how long it takes them.
    and trust me it really does make you proud when your faction becomes the most powerful on the server and literally every other faction is against you and all you have is a really big ship and a few smaller ships and a lot of stations because you used up the resources of an entire galaxy making your ship.
    even though I cried when I saw this massive ship that had became a mobile fortress get slowly taken destroyed by the joint efforts of a few small factions...I felt so proud of this game that people can build so large, yet at the same time have so many smaller ships.

and if there was a mass limit and if my super capital ship that me and a few friends spent two months working on was slowly falling apart under its own weight and its shields were not what we had made them to be. I wouldn't not have enjoyed that day when the goliath was destroyed, it was the last hope for total domination. but seeing the small ships of the other factions slowly destroy the jack of all trades filled my soul with determination that I will rebuild and even if I am the last of the faction, I will retake my galaxy.

so yeah, no to mass limit. yes to massive ships getting taken out by MULTIPLE small ships

View attachment 22137
    this is me when I see people say that big ships should not exist because they are too unbalanced. they exist because they are unbalanced and will only get wrecked if multiple smaller ships go against it, or likewise a bigger ship.
    I guess your argument makes sense, But then again List of longest wooden ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Back in ye old days, Ships could be only so large before their keels snapped, And as such kingdoms and empires would put a lot of effort into building the best ship that could easily beat ships of equal size, And that is what i feel starmade should have 'cause it would encourage players to put effort into building the best combination of systems within a specific size.

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    and this game is in space. so your point is now what? not relevant?

if the ship gets to a point it would make its own gravity that it would then start to collapse, it would be to big to build anyway

Reaction score
    and this game is in space. so your point is now what? not relevant?

if the ship gets to a point it would make its own gravity that it would then start to collapse, it would be to big to build anyway
    Remember that the game is scaled down, If a planet has gravity then perhaps a planet sized ship should as well.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    we won't be restricting size or mass by default, the option exists for server owners to put those restrictions in if they wish but it won't be something we'll be forcing on every server.

Have marked this as Implemented as the desired ability to mass restrict exists already at a server level.

Last edited:

jontyfreack

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    remember that stars don't have gravity in this game.

so basically every aspect of gravity in this game does not add to anyone's point. mine or yours. soo, basically go by what bench says, adapt to either build bigger, get in a faction or hide as best as you can