Massive ship limiting.

Yay or nay.

• Yay

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Simple way to stop massive ships doing pinwheel turns and accelerating as fast as fighters. I wouldn't even call this a suggestion, it's more just applying science.

Big ships should accelerate (same max speed obviously) and turn slower then their smaller counterparts.

Why? Well I'll give you an example. Lets say you have a glass on a table and you push it with 0.000001g of force. (Using g as in gravity.) It might move a little depending on the size. Now lets say you move the same cup with 10000g of force. That cup has now exploded and is showering glass upon you.

It comes down to the simple fact of, the bigger your ship, the slower it can accelerate (regardless of engine size) before the engines literally tear themselves out of the ship. Turning also applies, turning too fast in a real environment would cause the ship to snap in two.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Uh. From what I have seen there are very few ships that can instantly turn or accelerate to top speed so quickly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's possible though. In the current system you can just keep adding thrusters till you reach your desired acceleration.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not for turning. If anything, big ship turning needs to be fixed. Right now, a frigate turns as slowly as a titan.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Rapid acceleration means that you consume an insane amount of power, whenever you try to thrust or stop. With no way to limit it. And also, eventually, the thrust of one block will drop below .1 thrust. In other words, there's a point at which adding more thrusters reduces your thrust/mass ratio.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's unreasonable to do so, the power drain from thrust on big ships makes me cry

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It's possible though. In the current system you can just keep adding thrusters till you reach your desired acceleration.
    Not quite
    Thrusters have diminishing returns on power and increasing power requirements based on quantity, and power reactors lose their bonus after 1mil energy per second, so you end up with what might as well be diminishing returns as well for that.

If you want to have 100,000 thrust, for instance, you expend somewhere in the vicinity of 2.7 million energy per second just to keep moving around.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Even if it is possible to add a decent t/m ratio for a large ship, you would just be missing out on other systems. It's a trade off.

Reactions: Krougal
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Now lets say you move the same cup with 10000g of force. That cup has now exploded and is showering glass upon you.
    The cup will stay intact when the force is equally applied to all it's atoms simultaniously. If the thrusters are spread out enough on a ship, they won't tear it apart.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    People should stop wanting large ships to weaker.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Titans have already been nerfed, with the new crafting and blueprint system they are really hard to make.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I case you somehow did not noticed, no, capital ships doesnt turn nearly as fast as fighters. Fighter can turn around in mere seconds, while capital can take several minutes to do the same. Turning speed mostly depends on ship's dimensions, and it is a angle-per-time value. It might appear that a capital can turn fast, but its nothing but an illusion given by the position of a camera relative to the remainder of the ship's hulk. Larger ships can only turn given a reasonable length and relatively small height/width, where it can roll to adjust the ship to turn faster in direction perpendicular to the smaller chosen dimension. Longer ships, that consists the majority of the community designs, can't do even that - they just roll faster that vertical or broad-head ships. In fact, a decent pack of bombers/corvettes can easily eliminate the Titan, never having to feel it's fixed-mount weapons on themselves.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    Bigger ships needs re-balance, today there is no point to play online and do PVP, just the bigger and larger ship will all-ways win, this is a stupid kind of game. All other games have some balance, a way for a fighter to make difference in a battle.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    The main issue is large ships backpedaling which prevents smaller ships from making any use of their maneuverability. Put some passive overdrive on your fighter and you can outmaneuver the large ship and easily avoid getting hit by its main weapons.

Reaction score
    Bigger ships needs re-balance, today there is no point to play online and do PVP, just the bigger and larger ship will all-ways win, this is a stupid kind of game. All other games have some balance, a way for a fighter to make difference in a battle.
    Nobody wants a titan to lose to a single fighter though.
    Why not read this thread http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-manifesto-on-the-relationship-between-fighters-titans-and-ai.1686/

Something of note: a ship of mass M will nearly always lose to 30 ships of total mass M. Swarms are op, except to cluster missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    My biggest annoyance with manouverability in this game is that it's applied to every direction, large ships (10 000+ mass) don't have real limits to acceleration and turn rate caps into low end really early. It's easy for larger ships to just backpedal, overdrive does compensate a bit but then again, smaller ships also have energy issues combined with trouble of fitting meaningful weapons.

Upcoming thrust update does probably help somewhat, I just hope it's not easy to macro the thrust management to get full thrust in virtually all directions again. And I do hope that there's actual meaningful differences in manouverability of 500, 1000, 5000, 10000 and 50000 mass ships. Personally, I think flying a huge ship ought to be like trying to sail with a fortress, reaching max speed in matter of minute or three rather than seconds when thrusting forward.

But that's just me, I understand people don't like flying a rotting elephant stuck in a swamp and that block size means we need big ships for them to be pretty.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Could people stop making these "nerf titans" posts please.

The game is already designed with diminishing returns, meaning a ship gets huge trade offs the bigger you build it.

I have only made a handful of smaller titans as of yet, all have their own strenght and weaknesses.
    The mentality of single fighters or a handful of them defeating a titan is flawed, from my research a small fleet of frigates and cruisers is required to destroy one.

Titans aren't something that can be built in a rush they require time, effort, research and lots of build time.

All I am saying here, before anyone thinks that really big ships need nerfing, try building atleast one.
    You will understand that they are not that indestructible or easy to drive as one might think.