Making fighting pirates actually fun?

Reaction score
    The old past time of blowing up (or getting blown up by) pirates should, in theory, be one of the main things that you can do in this game, but I feel like there's a ton of problems that make gameplay rather inconsistent and unpredictable, as welll as some smaller hurdles that could be overcome to make the game a bit more fun.

-Pirate stations are fine as is, though they seem mostly to be a source of reinforcements. I'm wondering a bit what to do once all the stations in a system are cleared out. Is there any way to spawn them into a given space?
    -The occasionally spawning "Raiding parties" of pirates are a pleasant surprise when they show up to disrupt a montonous mining session, but it'd be interesting if there was some way to alter how often they'd spawn, or know which areas they're more likely to appear in.
    -Engagement ranges and small ship sizes make cannon-armed ships very impractical against fighters unless piloted with AI, but AI tends to hard-focus stations and I'm not sure how to order them to attack specific targets.
    -In general, AI target prioritization is a bit scuffed. My frigates often ignore targets right next to them in favor of chasing an enemy in the adjoining sector.
    -The Isanth type zeros (and some of the newer faction craft) really need a retrofit. They overload themslves upon trying to fire their weapons, and are not much of a threat to any reasonably well-off player. This problem doesn't seem to be that severe given that one can design more competent pirate craft, but more powerful vanilla ships would be nice.

Does anyone have suggestions/reworks/mods for these problems?

Reaction score
    The old past time of blowing up (or getting blown up by) pirates should, in theory, be one of the main things that you can do in this game, but I feel like there's a ton of problems that make gameplay rather inconsistent and unpredictable, as welll as some smaller hurdles that could be overcome to make the game a bit more fun.

-Pirate stations are fine as is, though they seem mostly to be a source of reinforcements. I'm wondering a bit what to do once all the stations in a system are cleared out. Is there any way to spawn them into a given space?
    -The occasionally spawning "Raiding parties" of pirates are a pleasant surprise when they show up to disrupt a montonous mining session, but it'd be interesting if there was some way to alter how often they'd spawn, or know which areas they're more likely to appear in.
    -Engagement ranges and small ship sizes make cannon-armed ships very impractical against fighters unless piloted with AI, but AI tends to hard-focus stations and I'm not sure how to order them to attack specific targets.
    -In general, AI target prioritization is a bit scuffed. My frigates often ignore targets right next to them in favor of chasing an enemy in the adjoining sector.
    -The Isanth type zeros (and some of the newer faction craft) really need a retrofit. They overload themslves upon trying to fire their weapons, and are not much of a threat to any reasonably well-off player. This problem doesn't seem to be that severe given that one can design more competent pirate craft, but more powerful vanilla ships would be nice.

Does anyone have suggestions/reworks/mods for these problems?
    I can still offer some general advice and suggestions that might help improve your experience:

Spawning Pirate Stations: If you're looking to have more pirate stations in a given space, you could try exploring different regions or sectors of the game world. It's possible that pirate stations are more concentrated in certain areas. Additionally, some games may have mods or user-created content that can enhance the spawning or density of pirate stations.

Adjusting Spawn Rates: Similarly, mods or in-game settings may exist that allow you to tweak the frequency of pirate raiding parties. Check if there are any community mods or official updates that address this specific issue. Alternatively, you could provide feedback to the game developers and suggest the implementation of such a feature.

AI Behavior and Target Prioritization: The behavior of AI-controlled ships can sometimes be challenging to fine-tune. You could look for mods or updates that improve the AI behavior, specifically regarding target prioritization. Additionally, check if there are any in-game commands or controls that allow you to manually direct your AI allies to attack specific targets.

Retrofitting and Balance: It's not uncommon for games to have certain ship types or factions that could benefit from balancing adjustments. If you feel that certain pirate ship designs or factions are underpowered, you could search for mods or updates that address these balance issues. Alternatively, you can provide feedback to the game developers with specific suggestions for ship retrofits or adjustments.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I can still offer some general advice and suggestions that might help improve your experience:

Spawning Pirate Stations: If you're looking to have more pirate stations in a given space, you could try exploring different regions or sectors of the game world. It's possible that pirate stations are more concentrated in certain areas. Additionally, some games may have mods or user-created content that can enhance the spawning or density of pirate stations.

Adjusting Spawn Rates: Similarly, mods or in-game settings may exist that allow you to tweak the frequency of pirate raiding parties. Check if there are any community mods or official updates that address this specific issue. Alternatively, you could provide feedback to the game developers and suggest the implementation of such a feature.

AI Behavior and Target Prioritization: The behavior of AI-controlled ships can sometimes be challenging to fine-tune. You could look for mods or updates that improve the AI behavior, specifically regarding target prioritization. Additionally, check if there are any in-game commands or controls that allow you to manually direct your AI allies to attack specific targets.

Retrofitting and Balance: It's not uncommon for games to have certain ship types or factions that could benefit from balancing adjustments. If you feel that certain pirate ship designs or factions are underpowered, you could search for mods or updates that address these balance issues. Alternatively, you can provide feedback to the game developers with specific suggestions for ship retrofits or adjustments.
    Obvious ChatGPT is obvious