Making a bigger difference between big and small ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not in order of importance
    -hull health and armour

Right now AMC only needs to do 400 damage points to destroy a block of hardened hull, which is about 250amc blocks together now if one was to build a bunch of them in a row, one would cut straight through a ship.

Because of this there need to be a system that increase hull health and armour for larger ships, i propose a system that uses the three dimensions of a ship x, y, z to determined the health and armour for example (THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE)
    multiplierX= ((x/1000).^2)
    multiplierY = ((y/1000).^2)
    multiplierZ = ((z/1000).^2)

Health = 100*((1+ multiplierX) + (1+ multiplierY) + (1+ multiplierZ))

Armour = 5*((1+ multiplierX) + (1+ multiplierY) + (1+ multiplierZ)

Now let’s think of a really big ship that exists in Starmade the HeldTech_Damocles (http://star-made.org/node/8979 ) its Length(x): 842m, Height(y):126m, Width (z):300. Now let’s think of a small ship the Isanth_VI its Length(x): 19, Height(y):9m, Width (z):19.

Now I believe that it’s not fair that there hulls health and armour is exactly the same but using the example equation fat Damocles will have hulls will have 1114hp and 55% armour where the Isanth has 300hp and 15% armour.

YES this is nowhere near perfect and YES there are problems

-weapons

I think that the AMC are generally fine it’s the missiles that need a tune up. Firstly they move so slow that all ship can basically out run them and secondly for their ROF they don’t do much damage and they need to do more damage to hulls or AMC need to less.

These guys talk about it in much better detail.

http://star-made.org/content/another-simple-solution-hull-mechanics

http://star-made.org/content/simple-solution-hull-mechanics

-acceleration

Hadn’t really though in detail how to make this one happen but basically the acceleration of large ship needs to be reduced a lot. Probably something to do with an exponential or positive parabolic equation that heavy increase idk inertia and reduce acceleration

Future addon or updates

-radar system

Introduce a radar block that can

• More blocks in a ship the larger the detection range.
    • Provide a small detection range for sheathed ships
    • Make it harder to jam
    • Share radar information with ships with smaller radar ranges

-connected systems

I want system to be connected so that its possible to cripple large for example thrusters being the most exposed system when you shoot it destroy 1 at a time which basically does nothing i want it so that all connect thrusters have a global health and so when that global becomes zero the thrusters and all the thrusters that are connected are destroyed same goes for weapons, power, batteries shield blocks

This guy talks about it in a different way

http://star-made.org/content/modular-way-thinking

-“afterburners”

If you have ever tried to dock on a ship moving at top speed it’s not possible so it would be nice to introduce a system like afterburners to temporally boost you speed to catch up and dock.

This could also be used for combat right now tired to think of how

But afterburners should be weaker the bigger the ship

well im done sorry of any errors in the lay out and language

so now come criticize these suggestions i can only hope that you make it constructive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The overall health of your ship would already be affected by size, though. If you have a basic ship with the default starting stuff, you won\'t really even have a way to have your core in an interior. But on a huge ship, your hull could be multiple blocks thick, increasing your armor before anything vital is exposed.

The way I build ships is to use the weaker hulls for interior walls, then is covered in 3 layers of hardened hull, meaning you\'d have to get through 3 hardened hulls and 1 regular one just to expose a power block, the core, shields, or computers. And you have to get through the shields before you even do damage to the hull; the bigger the ship, the more potential for higher shielding.

Reaction score
    It would take between .5 to 2 seconds for any of my ships to blast through that armor and they are not that special. Really 4 layers is just 4 bullets, it is expensive to build but cheap and easy to destroy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This wouldn\'t be too bad an idea. Armor is pretty much so much dead weight against missiles and AMC\'s, and I would like to see something along these lines. However, I\'m not so sure scaling by X Y Z would go so well. By that logic, someone could make a tiny fighter, a big gun with power cells, and a pair of massive sticks pointing back and down and be near invincible. Perhaps the total mass, or the number of hull blocks?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love this post (first one).

Yes sure like me you can layer up teh hulls and have a 3 hull thick cruiser, but thats not the point. The point is its too easy to damage your carrier if the shields go down and it\'s a BITCH to repair. Seriously, I got into a fight, there was SO MUCH SHIT TO REPAIR I almost gave up. Random holes everywhere. You dont spot them for an entire WEEK! This aint no tie-fighter size 30 minutes repair job.

I would really like for my Battlestar GAlactica style ship to endure AMC damage better than a tie fighter sized ship would - this is a realistic ask.

Having ships puncture my big ass hull, and then finding more inner hull to puncture, IS A WORK-AROUND. A pain-in-the-ass-to-repair Work-Around.

Love the radar idea regarding more blocks for radar range. Peewee fighters have basic radar (one block). Can go up to a certain hard coded limit.

Acceleration absolutely needs to be reduced on big ships.

I already have a solution to this + turn rate (although turn rate method seems set now just needs tuning). Make thrusters retard down in efficiency the more you have (like shields), thus big ships require alot more (%) wise than a small ship, so unless your carrier has stupid amounts its going to accelerate more slowly

Love the afterburner idea. The higher your thrust to mass ratio the more afterburner usage you have (and regen rate). Useful if you are a small ship escaping a giant cruiser. Now you actually CAN. Not just a 30 minute chase around like a herpa derp getting nowhere.

Connected systems - seems too hard to code not sure. What makes half your thrusters gone = 50% damage? What if you go into build mode, and back in flight mode, are the remaining thrusters now 100%... little wierd.

MULTIPLIER HULLs FTW. E.g. 1000 hulls means your 200 hull armor (or was it 250) now becomes 250 * (1000 And some magic formula here). Result is all hull armor on your ship is now 264 per hull. (You get the idea).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yea mate it could be done on total mass or no. of hull blocks cause now that i think about it the optimum shape would be a GIANT cube where mass or no. of hull is more fair to different ship shapes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nice idea, making hull hp dependent on the total number of hulls in the ship (mass essentially)... However, how would this change affect small ships? It would be quite hard for them to even scratch massive ship hulls... if they even manage to get through the massive shields... Except if we get something like torpedo launchers with bigger hull damage and area of effect damage (or if missiles were buffed)..

Also, would this affect turrets too (based on ship hull blocks, or turret hull blocks)? I. E. bigger turrets = more health? Or smaller turrets on a big ship = more health?

And what happens when the blocks get destroyed? Does lack of few hundred blocks suddenly reduce the health of all hulls on the ship? Means that the more damage a ship sustains, the easier it is to destroy the rest of the hulls... Does that make sense (physics-wise and gameplay-wise), or not really?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    that makes sense. the more damage something takes, the easier it becomes to kill.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    how about a \"save\" and a \"restore\" button we can already save blueprints why not use that to restore a ship for credits, kind of like a repair button.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Correct. It would be hard for a tiny ship to hurt a big ship - as is how it should be... it won\'t be impossible even small ships can hit hard enough to damage them with persistence......but the hull is the least of their concern getting the shields down is a harder challenge as a tie fighter rather than hulls with 350 armor rather than 250 (or whatever it is)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Stop sucking your bong for a second and notice the page/topic...and you can already restore your ship for credits