Make Warp Gate routes not visible for everyone

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    If you can't buy or build a lock for your door (Both of which are quite achievable in SM) then you'll just have to deal with things coming through your door. Which, in a non-combat situation, isn't a bad thing if they need to travel to an area nearby...
    You need to make a very solid plex door for the gate being unpenetrable. Otherwise, just ram the door at max speed and lag will allow you to pass through.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One possibility is to give gates a logic input they must receive to be brought online. If you want your gate to be open and known to the public, check the 'is visible to everyone' button (wherever it is decided to put that) and set up an activation block to keep the gate on at all times. In an emergency you can go to the gate and shut it down, but remember: just because a gate has no output, i.e. won't send players anywhere doesnt mean it can't receive from other gates. One gate can have multiple possible inputs, but only one output. At least that's how it works at the moment.

So in order to lock down your gate network, visit your public gates and shut them all down. The enemy can't use the gate until they destroy the faction module and reactivate it. If they accidentally the whole gate computer, sucks, they broke the link. You can keep hidden warp gates enemies wont know about without scanning, and require a logic gate lock be activated, or go through the process of destroying the faction module again.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm going to bump this thread due to the recent addition of dev analysis, which they look at the actual thread and set them to considered, planned or rejected; due to the high approval rating of the initial post

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You need to make a very solid plex door for the gate being unpenetrable. Otherwise, just ram the door at max speed and lag will allow you to pass through.
    Build multiple layers of plexdoor, then. While a player in a core or a small thrust stick might be able to slam through one layer, it'll also kill all of their speed and they generally won't be able to simply punch through a second layer. Particularly if it's spaced two blocks away from the first layer.

Reaction score
    Very much agree with this. Though personally I have little interest in a plex door. Hitting a closed gate is less interesting than someone jumping through a gate only to find the other side littered with turrets and drones :)

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not sure how else to say this, but this thread is one of, if not the most well-liked suggestions in the forum for the last few weeks. :P

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I still think this should be addressed. There are even multiple ways to do it.
    1. Easiest: Warp gates should not be visible on star map. Those who want their gates to be public can still share the coordinates through other means (mail, broadcast, etc.)
    2. Requires some extra coding: the warp gate computer could be activated to toggle broadcasting the route on star map for: None, All, or Allies Only.

Reaction score
    As an added bonus this should fix those mysterious warp-gate lines on the map that don't actually lead to a warpgate, if anyone else has that problem. Just giving a server option to turn off warpgate lines on the map would be great, and hopefully eventually ability to see faction gates, toggle global map lines for an individual warp gate (radar jammers would work), etc, though these are not needed as badly (just name the warpgate after the place it goes, or whatever). Hopefully we will eventually have the ability to prevent stations from always appearing on the map as well.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One problem that I'm sure most of the people are facing is that how easy it is to find out about a warp gate network. You could simply check on galaxy map and go to the links, making your enemies' life more difficult at a very cheap price, should you be at war or simply being a griefer.

IMO, That feature of showing warp gate links should be togglable. You could make it in a way that either the route is visible to the public, or only visible to your faction.
    *BEATING AGREE BUTTON WITH SLEDGE HAMMER*

'nuff said.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I still think this should be addressed. There are even multiple ways to do it.
    1. Easiest: Warp gates should not be visible on star map. Those who want their gates to be public can still share the coordinates through other means (mail, broadcast, etc.)
    2. Requires some extra coding: the warp gate computer could be activated to toggle broadcasting the route on star map for: None, All, or Allies Only.
    They could simply use the method 1 for now, and when there's time (since the focus is at rails/docks/etc) they jump to 2 and everyone will be happy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry if someone has say it before. Bud i think the best way is that you can only see gateroutes on your map you have discoveret and used one time.

Reactions: aRottenKomquat

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sorry if someone has say it before. Bud i think the best way is that you can only see gateroutes on your map you have discoveret and used one time.
    That would be a nice addition. If the enemy has the merit of discovering it, the galaxy map could mark it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    By the way on my server i was trying to instal gates with no powerreaktors you have to charge them with powersuply beams before use. Bud the players say then they use the jumpdrive in the ship.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    By the way on my server i was trying to instal gates with no powerreaktors you have to charge them with powersuply beams before use. Bud the players say then they use the jumpdrive in the ship.
    Cool ideas like that just aren't feasible with the weapon balance the way it is. You could probably do it on a custom server, but not all ships come with adequate power supply beams :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi its me.
    The last days i was thinking about some ideas from other comunity members.
    I think the solution to make warpgates functional with the logic system hase more potential as only to make them not useable for enemys.
    I think about multi target warpgates okey with a trick thay are possible at the moment bud not so easy as with logic.
    And you need a operator for the gate.
    And last an untestet idea to prevent incoming enemys.
    Is it not so that a gate not work when you change the name of the target gate?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps warpgates should only become visible on the galactic map after you personally fly through them?

Perhaps they should only be visible to those with permission to use them?

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Perhaps warpgates should only become visible on the galactic map after you personally fly through them?

Perhaps they should only be visible to those with permission to use them?
    I was thinking a fog of war system, where gates won't *update* their status to you unless you have *seen* the gate (by obtaining visual confirmation). So, if you haven't seen a gate or an incoming gate, you can't see the connection. But, if the gate is destroyed while you are away, you wouldn't see a change until you revisited the gate.

Reaction score
    Sorry if someone has say it before. Bud i think the best way is that you can only see gate routes on your map you have discovered and used one time.
    I feel a large portion of the map features need to be this way. As the shops are now, all player made structures and faction control of systems should only show if you have been to that system. I know there will be people who disagree with me, but I think the galaxy should be explored. I think this would also keep people from feeling like they need to go 10 galaxies away to have a bit of safety. Right now it just feels a bit too easy to locate your enemies and determine relative strength just by looking at the map for a few minutes.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, I completely agree with OP.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    One problem that I'm sure most of the people are facing is that how easy it is to find out about a warp gate network. You could simply check on galaxy map and go to the links, making your enemies' life more difficult at a very cheap price, should you be at war or simply being a griefer.

IMO, That feature of showing warp gate links should be togglable. You could make it in a way that either the route is visible to the public, or only visible to your faction.
    HEAR HEAR!

I've been a raider, and those gate lines are like beacons.