Make trigger areas be activated by weapons

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Please. It would be a great addition to the game and make a lot of things possible.

Edit: A separate block that can be activated by weapons fire

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It would have to be a specific trigger, bit it would be neat(metroid doors :D )

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this should be two new blocks: shootable area triggers, and shootable blast doors. Maybe a third: area triggers that can be shot to be activated, or activated with the presence of an entity.

That way, you have the original area triggers, and new options for how things work.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think this should be two new blocks: shootable area triggers, and shootable blast doors. Maybe a third: area triggers that can be shot to be activated, or activated with the presence of an entity.

That way, you have the original area triggers, and new options for how things work.
    No, just make the current area triggers able to be set off by a weapon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think I'd like the option to try to rig auto defense systems - which I'd like to not accidentally trigger while wandering around in astronaut mode ... I'm thinking a separate area trigger from the existing type would be better for this

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You could make a pulse thruster system. Set off the pulses by using lasers from the mothership.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No, just make the current area triggers able to be set off by a weapon.
    Anybody with automatic doors would have them open anytime the ship gets hit by a machine gun... no, if anything this should be a separate trigger. It could use the same area block but use it's own trigger block.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Anybody with automatic doors would have them open anytime the ship gets hit by a machine gun... no, if anything this should be a separate trigger. It could use the same area block but use it's own trigger block.
    Eh. I figured having another block would be a waste of time, and opening doors with a gun would be kinda cool, but what do I know.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Eh. I figured having another block would be a waste of time, and opening doors with a gun would be kinda cool, but what do I know.
    Well you would be able to rig up doors that can be opened or closed by weapons but the regular player activated doors should not respond to weapons fire.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well you would be able to rig up doors that can be opened or closed by weapons but the regular player activated doors should not respond to weapons fire.
    Yeah, I guess.

But there's a lot of other uses to this besides metroid doors or whatever. Mainly, activating things on externally docked ships. You could activate the overdrive on your drones remotely, or detonate mines from a distance.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah, I guess.

But there's a lot of other uses to this besides metroid doors or whatever. Mainly, activating things on externally docked ships. You could activate the overdrive on your drones remotely, or detonate mines from a distance.
    Yes and there is nothing stopping you from doing these things if there was a separate trigger block but you would not want the regular area trigger doing this as that is asking for trouble when circuits get bombarded with inputs from things that shouldn't be setting them off. I did see a ship that has broad side guns that fire with area triggers, any stray fire would set this off, and even the guns themselves so this set up would no longer work if it was one trigger.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Definitely. I don't see the point of it being a separate block, though.

Yes and there is nothing stopping you from doing these things if there was a separate trigger block but you would not want the regular area trigger doing this as that is asking for trouble when circuits get bombarded with inputs from things that shouldn't be setting them off. I did see a ship that has broad side guns that fire with area triggers, any stray fire would set this off, and even the guns themselves so this set up would no longer work if it was one trigger.
    What? How would the broadside guns set themselves off unless the area trigger was in front of the barrel?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What? How would the broadside guns set themselves off unless the area trigger was in front of the barrel?
    The system was set up on a clock, and it had area triggers in a grid form spread out on the side of each ship. If a passing by ship tripped one of the area triggers it would fire a shotgun blast out the side.

Now the point of it being a separate block? Nobody who uses area triggers to open personnel or hanger doors is going to want them opening to random machine-gun fire. There is no downside to a separate block but lots of potential issues to just having any weapon set them off.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The system was set up on a clock, and it had area triggers in a grid form spread out on the side of each ship. If a passing by ship tripped one of the area triggers it would fire a shotgun blast out the side.

Now the point of it being a separate block? Nobody who uses area triggers to open personnel or hanger doors is going to want them opening to random machine-gun fire. There is no downside to a separate block but lots of potential issues to just having any weapon set them off.
    You raise a good point. There should be two blocks- area triggers and projectile triggers.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    All of YES! I've been thinking for a while on how to make automated anti-missile blast shields and having weapon triggered area triggers could do just that.