Recognized Make ship's weapons not go through the ship

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't know how to say this easily, but basically, ships shouldn't be able to fire through themselves.
    Like when I have a salvager at the back of my ship, the beam can fly the whole way through my ship, past any obstructions and come out the front, I think that if weapons required no obstructions to fire, or at least couldn't fire through obstructions, then that would discourage the O so evil DOOM CUBES!

Leave your suggestions below and let's see if we can't get us a fancy-like official sticker on this (preferably not the 'rejected' sticker).

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No, because that would make it impossible to decorate the end of the barrel.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Perhaps it would be better to, rather than having 0 blocks infront of the weapon array, have a limit, maybe the projectile can pass through up to 3 blocks of the ship? That way you can still decorate or protect the arrays

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I don't really see how hiding weapon in a doom cube is any different than hiding weapons behind nice aesthetics. Either way they can shoot through the ship. Forcing a player to expose their guns doesn't discourage me from building in a cube. Poke the barrel out of that cube and hardly anything has changed.

A staple of the game is the ability to be creative. It's why they add so many nice blocks. The devs talk about it often. Why would we take steps back?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think that a weapon made with just a single block should be prevented shooting through the entity it's on, so we can use weapons triggered by logic as fancy decorative features without having beams poking out into space all over the place

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hell no, hell no and as a hat trick hell no. This would make things needlessly complex. No no no.
    Not really, I build my ships with clear cannons, it isn't that complicated and it doesn't really hinder anything.

No, because that would make it impossible to decorate the end of the barrel.
    Not really.

... Why would we take steps back?
    To shamelessly steal someone else's picture. This is why:
    http://smd-vault.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/02/8792_19e5d6d236c56ae06b8118e3b5c6979b.jpg

This ship is very dangerous due to the fact that the salvage beams are not contained in the things that look like they should contain it.

Okay though, it looks that everyone is so emphatic about this anyway, so I give up and bow to the greater wisdom of the community.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nope nope nope nope nope.

Being able to cover up weapons is an excellent thing. Just imagine non-covered salvage arrays, ew. It doesn't really change anything from a combat perspective either.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don't know how to say this easily, but basically, ships shouldn't be able to fire through themselves.
    Like when I have a salvager at the back of my ship, the beam can fly the whole way through my ship, past any obstructions and come out the front, I think that if weapons required no obstructions to fire, or at least couldn't fire through obstructions, then that would discourage the O so evil DOOM CUBES!

Leave your suggestions below and let's see if we can't get us a fancy-like official sticker on this (preferably not the 'rejected' sticker).
    I think this is a good idea because weapons can be disabled a lot more easier (considering their low armour). One punch through shot will screw it up pretty bad. Also the weapons would be more "proper", as in they actually are weapons and not some kind of gun sculpture.

Perhaps it would be better to, rather than having 0 blocks infront of the weapon array, have a limit, maybe the projectile can pass through up to 3 blocks of the ship? That way you can still decorate or protect the arrays
    Good idea :) Another way could be that since so many people are raging about this, blocks above a certain hp could stop weapons fire, whilest other low armoured blocks wouldn't. This would make it so that people who love to have crystals/lights/grills in front of their guns would still be able to do so. But if armour is in front it would be blocked.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I would suggest shots can not pass through other modules/systems. That way, you can put as much decorative/armour blocks in front of a weapon as you want, but if you put weapons at the end of your ship, everything in front of them cannot be systems, which means you either lack those systems or you have to expose them at other places. Armouring these exposed systems up results in an increase in mass, thus punishing for your weapons placement.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I say it's needlessly complex because we're used to being able to make shots go through. Imagine, literally almost all ships (especially popular ships) will have to be redone right from the ground up. And is there really that much of a benefit? Realism doesn't fit into this game that much, especially with the whole FTL, plants growing on frozen planets, space having oxygen, etc.

And lets be honest. If won't stop doomcubes, there will likely just be a bigger ship that's disposable or something. Griefing always finds a way...that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and stop it though, good that you're making suggestions against it but IMO it isn't the way.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't like it, mainly because it removes the idea of arranging outputs, though it does promote sniping it is a useful mechanic, especially if you can find and shot out the computers. It also would have isses with shot convergence, as shots may angle through more bits of the ship.

It's basically removing an element of creative license in order to make certain shipbuilders happy. I'd rather just see a block that would stop all shots, allied or not. Could be a fun anti-punch/pierce counter measure as well.

Reaction score
    I also want to point out that collision detection is (afaik) always a performance issue, so unless our current ones are fixed, we should think twice about introducing new ones ;)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't really see how hiding weapon in a doom cube is any different than hiding weapons behind nice aesthetics. Either way they can shoot through the ship. Forcing a player to expose their guns doesn't discourage me from building in a cube. Poke the barrel out of that cube and hardly anything has changed.

A staple of the game is the ability to be creative. It's why they add so many nice blocks. The devs talk about it often. Why would we take steps back?
    True, we have a piercing effect to take down hidden weapons anyways.

Reaction score
    O dear, another thread asking for limitations on the only thing this game offers with the "Doomcube" argument backing it.

*sigh* Let's put my 2 cents down. Would you really want to go back to this?

(Thanks to @Aracturus for the picture.)

And yes this isn't the only way builders could deal with it, but this is what it would translate to for many.

Reactions: psteiner

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Uhhhh, that's where you're supposed to state your argument?
    I did in the quote above that one, where I said something like
    "Not really, I build my ships with clear cannons, it isn't that complicated and it doesn't really hinder anything."
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424162155,1424161866][/DOUBLEPOST]
    ... will have to be redone right from the ground up...
    I kinda gotta agree with your post, except for the bit I am responding to, the complaint of having to redo ships, is completely invalid in an alpha game, there will be times where ships become obsolete, because the game is in development.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424162416][/DOUBLEPOST]
    O dear, another thread asking for limitations on the only thing this game offers with the "Doomcube" argument backing it.

*sigh* Let's put my 2 cents down. Would you really want to go back to this?

(Thanks to @Aracturus for the picture.)

And yes this isn't the only way builders could deal with it, but this is what it would translate to for many.
    I will be civil despite your being enormously disingenuous, What is wrong with that ship?

... It also would have isses with shot convergence, as shots may angle through more bits of the ship...
    That is actually one of the only good arguments against this, I didn't think of that at all.

Reaction score
    I kinda gotta agree with your post, except for the bit I am responding to, the complaint of having to redo ships, is completely invalid in an alpha game, there will be times where ships become obsolete, because the game is in development.
    Yeah, you're right there actually.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I did in the quote above that one, where I said something like
    "Not really, I build my ships with clear cannons, it isn't that complicated and it doesn't really hinder anything."

So?.. Not all of us build the way you do.

Reaction score
    I enjoy starmade because it does not smother me with artificial restrictions when building ships.
    Even with the proposed change we only would have a one block wide barrel leading to the muzzle with the weapon systems contained behind the hull...

Last edited: