Make death better

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1. Make it so when you are hit by a missile of above 500 damage, your limbs fly everywhere spouting blood
    2. Make it so your body remains after death, lying there, bleeding
    3. Make it so when you are hit by a missile of above 1500 damage, you atomize leaving a orangeish stain around you.
    4. Lasers make red patches where they hit, size depends on damage.
    5. Lava makes your feet go on fire
    6. All this also happens when you die in a core - your body flings out and stuff.
    7. Ragdoll physics
    8. When you die, your vision fades to black (How quickly depends on the amount of damage dealt on the final blow. If you are blown apart, the camera zooms how to show how hilariously you died.
    9. Blood and gore is edited in the game options, for all the little kiddos.
    10. Instead of boring despawns, make overheated ships explode like a death star when they despawn.
    11. Make it so you can be electrocuted to death

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    1 - Not sure that's necessary at all. Definitely not a priority. It might be fun but I'm not sure just exploding to bits is suited for this game at all.
    2 - While its a bit creepy. Corpses are cool and they could stick around for a few seconds at least after death
    3 - Being vaporized sounds awesome. I would be okay with just turning into a cloud of particles on death. Maybe that can tie in with the respawn mechanic as well. You materialize after you spawn in.
    4 - Not sure if this is necessary.
    5 - This will likely happen.
    6 - okay
    7 - Ragdoll physics in a game like this is a lot to ask for. Especially in a game where the body could collide with tons of stuff and lag up the place. If its implemented it might be very basic. Still, the body should not stick around for long after.
    8 - A better death sequence would be cool.
    9 - Honestly I do not see the need for blood or gore at all in the game. Blood maybe but lets leave the extreme stuff to games like Gears of War. Starmade doesn't suit the nature of hacking bodies to pieces.

Reactions: Mariux

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But hacking bodies to pieces is fun! And satisfying

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Basically your point is that we should introduce killcams, ragdolls and gibbing. Ragdolling would require a advanced engine that SM probably doesn't have, so does gibbing to a lesser extent. Killcams would be easier though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    YES TO ALL THESE THINGS!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Idk if they are all possible, but I feel like we should try for as many as possible. So long as they're all turn-off-able in the options (and maybe are by default turned off) I feel like this would only make the game WAYYY better, and more hilarious (like "sitting" did). (and with them turn-off-able, not offensive to "the kiddies").

Even like just 2 of these 9 things would be WAAAYYY awesome in the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ("Anonymous") Artist's Rendition of what such a violent death might look like: Smoking Gun Exploding Body Parts -low quality-.jpg [DOUBLEPOST=1415867362,1415867191][/DOUBLEPOST] Look Me in the Sunglasses.jpg
    Look me in the sunglasses and tell me this is not what you want for Starmade.

Reactions: Snk and SkylordLuke

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    ("Anonymous") Artist's Rendition of what such a violent death might look like:View attachment 5988 [DOUBLEPOST=1415867362,1415867191][/DOUBLEPOST]View attachment 5989
    Look me in the sunglasses and tell me this is not what you want for Starmade.
    I will. for the reasons I stated above. Its not suited for starmade. Having you disintegrate into glowing bits of dust? Sure. That fits the theme of starmade. It's a sci fi setting. Let the death of a character stick with the theme that is set. Blood and gore is unnecessary in our voxel universe. It can be added in with a mod later on if people want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    what COULD be added to the game are "corpse" blocks. A two block section that can be placed down to represent a dead guy lying there (or in two halves if you prefer. "Corpse, upper" and "Corpse, lower"

Additional, gore related blocks could be a nonphysical, transparent "bloodstain" block that simply makes a bloodstain on the surface of wherever it is placed. It could come in both human and alien colors.

I also maintain that we still need a nonphysical animated block for electric arcing, that damages you when you walk through it. It could even work as a door, able to be turned on and off. The damage function is already in the game for lava, just make that accessible for modding. Hello switching on and off an electric defense grid (or an amazing visual effect!

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    1. Make it so when you are hit by a missile of above 500 damage, your limbs fly everywhere spouting blood
    2. Make it so your body remains after death, lying there, bleeding
    3. Make it so when you are hit by a missile of above 1500 damage, you atomize leaving a orangeish stain around you.
    4. Lasers make red patches where they hit, size depends on damage.
    5. Lava makes your feet go on fire
    6. All this also happens when you die in a core - your body flings out and stuff.
    7. Ragdoll physics
    8. When you die, your vision fades to black (How quickly depends on the amount of damage dealt on the final blow. If you are blown apart, the camera zooms how to show how hilariously you died.
    9. Blood and gore is edited in the game options, for all the little kiddos.
    10. Explode like a death star

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I will. for the reasons I stated above. Its not suited for starmade. Having you disintegrate into glowing bits of dust? Sure. That fits the theme of starmade. It's a sci fi setting. Let the death of a character stick with the theme that is set. Blood and gore is unnecessary in our voxel universe. It can be added in with a mod later on if people want.
    You can turn it off if you want.
    Also, I'm gonna add a couple more things to the OP.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Should probably be a mod, not in game at least for now since there are far more important matters.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I like the idea of laser victims leaving a 'shadow' behind like those left after a nuclear blast.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    As a mod? sure
    As a default in the game? lolno

Go play dead space or something :P

Reaction score
    what COULD be added to the game are "corpse" blocks. A two block section that can be placed down to represent a dead guy lying there (or in two halves if you prefer. "Corpse, upper" and "Corpse, lower"

Additional, gore related blocks could be a nonphysical, transparent "bloodstain" block that simply makes a bloodstain on the surface of wherever it is placed. It could come in both human and alien colors.

I also maintain that we still need a nonphysical animated block for electric arcing, that damages you when you walk through it. It could even work as a door, able to be turned on and off. The damage function is already in the game for lava, just make that accessible for modding. Hello switching on and off an electric defense grid (or an amazing visual effect!
    Or, simply, a retextured storage with one more row of storage and asteroid entity consisting of the upper part of the storage and a storage-linker, so no matter which block you upen, you get to the same storage thing. Or just he normal storage and all you had on the toolbar would be dropped into space, where you died.
    With the despawn time of 10 minutes since the last action (oppening, closing or taking/giving items) and the maximum time it stays spawned being 60 minutes (in case you open it repeatatly)...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    You can turn it off if you want.
    Also, I'm gonna add a couple more things to the OP.
    Something like gore should not be automatically on. It's not something about the game that would be particularly advertised. I am sure schema wants the game to appeal to all age groups. Do you not understand what I am saying? It doesn't suit the style. You're response is "it can be an option" That doesn't change the fact that it pretty much does nothing for the game nor fits with what the game is about. How often will I see a corpse when I am flying my massive ship and blowing up everyone else's ship? It's not really an important feature at all.

Reaction score
    Maybe we could have a code that you put in to enable the mode... we could call it Blood Mode and the code could be "ABACABB"

I wonder how many people get this...:p

Edit: Toasty!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally, I'd be content with the player model keeling over and fading away, à la most MMOs.

Last edited: