Make death better

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    As much as I hate buzzwords, particularly the way "edgy" is used nowadays, I think this is the perfect reaction.

I think leftover corpses to loot some credits and blocks from would be a good idea though, but none of the weapons in star made would draw blood. It just doesn't make sense, like most of the suggestion. I suggest total player vaporization from ship weapons, including lost credits/blocks, and death by handheld weapons leave corpses for other players to loot in one piece. This would provide a bit of incentive to defeat players in armed combat (potentially the way bounties will be collected?) to take some rewards for themselves instead of just killing enemy factions for fun or to put a dent in their faction points. Killing a player on foot with a gunship or frigate is way too easy to warrant rewards outside of faction warfare.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Alpha. Animations will likely be added. I doubt they'll be gorey blood-splattery animations of doom, but please be patient. This game is still in alpha.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Something like gore should not be automatically on. It's not something about the game that would be particularly advertised. I am sure schema wants the game to appeal to all age groups. Do you not understand what I am saying? It doesn't suit the style. You're response is "it can be an option" That doesn't change the fact that it pretty much does nothing for the game nor fits with what the game is about. How often will I see a corpse when I am flying my massive ship and blowing up everyone else's ship? It's not really an important feature at all.
    The game is sandbox, it can be whatever style you want. It doesn't really matter whether it is on automatically or not. And maybe if we get more AI crew, you can see clouds of corpses. And it does do something for the game - it just makes it a little more fun. I think your diction is mildly aggressive.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The game is sandbox, it can be whatever style you want. It doesn't really matter whether it is on automatically or not. And maybe if we get more AI crew, you can see clouds of corpses. And it does do something for the game - it just makes it a little more fun. I think your diction is mildly aggressive.
    Sandbox does not mean it can go in any direction we want. Thats for the dev to decide. I'm being aggressive because the response to my post was "it can be turned on or off" and they completely dismissed my reasoning and didnt adress it at all in their response. Minecraft doesnt have gore. That's the biggest sandbox game there is. People need mods to put it into the game. On top of that, I already agreed with the whole vaporization thing. People brought up good points. None of the weapons in game would result in blood. Burns and complete vaporization make more sense. And again, ragdoll corpses are not something that should stick around on screen for a while. It can clutter the area and if its physical (as ragdoll implies) then it can put some load on the game. We do not need that.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Sandbox does not mean it can go in any direction we want. Thats for the dev to decide. I'm being aggressive because the response to my post was "it can be turned on or off" and they completely dismissed my reasoning and didnt adress it at all in their response. Minecraft doesnt have gore. That's the biggest sandbox game there is. People need mods to put it into the game. On top of that, I already agreed with the whole vaporization thing. People brought up good points. None of the weapons in game would result in blood. Burns and complete vaporization make more sense. And again, ragdoll corpses are not something that should stick around on screen for a while. It can clutter the area and if its physical (as ragdoll implies) then it can put some load on the game. We do not need that.
    It doesn't mean "we can go any direction we want," it just means that we should be able to play it however we want, and if we want to see some people exploding, what's the problem? We already have debris, I assume that organic debris shouldn't be that different. And so what if the weapons in game don't result in burns? It's just for fun. You dont need a justification for it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    The game is sandbox, it can be whatever style you want.
    It's just for fun. You dont need a justification for it.
    That's not what sandbox means. But if you think it's a good idea, when we get a modding API you can go make whatever you want for the game. It's been done on more complex games before (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy). You don't need justification to put anything in any game necessarily, but you do need to justify if it is worth the developer's time to bring to fruition.

I think your diction is mildly aggressive.
    Aggressive or not, that has nothing to do with the point he's making and I don't even see the point of bringing it up.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    It doesn't mean "we can go any direction we want," it just means that we should be able to play it however we want, and if we want to see some people exploding, what's the problem? We already have debris, I assume that organic debris shouldn't be that different. And so what if the weapons in game don't result in burns? It's just for fun. You dont need a justification for it.
    Not needing justification is the opposite of good game design. I don't see why being vaporized wouldn't be more fun anyway. Why do we need to result to blood and gore? There is no justification other than "its more fun". That is all I'm hearing. If people got their suggestions into the game on the basis that it's more fun then this game would be a ruin.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not needing justification is the opposite of good game design. I don't see why being vaporized wouldn't be more fun anyway. Why do we need to result to blood and gore? There is no justification other than "its more fun". That is all I'm hearing. If people got their suggestions into the game on the basis that it's more fun then this game would be a ruin.
    Being vaporized isn't as fun because you don't see people exploding. "It's more fun" is just an opinion, its alright if you dont agree with it. But if this were implemented, you could turn it off if it bothers you so much. My opinion is that it would be fun and comical and make combat more satisfying. The whole point of a game is to be fun. Star made is already a little cartoonish.

Viridis: I do have justification. It makes combat satisfying. And fun.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Being vaporized isn't as fun because you don't see people exploding. "It's more fun" is just an opinion, its alright if you dont agree with it. But if this were implemented, you could turn it off if it bothers you so much. My opinion is that it would be fun and comical and make combat more satisfying. The whole point of a game is to be fun. Star made is already a little cartoonish.

What on earth... Why do we need to explode...

Also. How is being vaporized any less violent. The atoms of my body are being reduced to ash. Why cant the vaporization also be a bit explosive?

Here is my main point. Something I will repeat because you seem to miss it every time I bring it up.

It does not suit the theme of starmade.

It's a sci fi voxel world with laser cannons and laser beams and laser pistols. None of those things blow people up in what are normal sci fi conventions. They burn, and they vaporize. Take star wars or star trek. Phasers and laser blasters never left blood on hit targets. They left burns. That, if anything, is what should be implemented. You can think it's fun all you want. But I would actually question schemas decision if he decided that unnecessary blood splatter was good for the game. I mean they don't even have that happen in AAA games like halo. Ragdoll death is fine. Lastly, the fact that I can turn it off means nothing. Because what you are suggesting is that we should view default starmade as a violence filled game where there is more blood than the halo franchise, which features assassination take downs and a plethora of weapons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I thought you just said before you don't need justification because it's just for fun. So which is it? Fun is your justification or you don't need justification because it's "fun"? Why would this get the time of day from the developers when they could be doing better things like skinning aliens parts or making breakoff stable for ships?

I can understand wanting a death animation or something, which I agree with. But why blood and dismemberment? It doesn't add anything and makes no sense with our weapons. If Starmade were a horror game it could serve a purpose and enhance the mood of terror, but all this is in your words is "fun" which is your opinion. Opinions are a dime a dozen and aren't inherently valuable, they need to be backed up by something tangible or objective to be worth a damn. Try again when we have a lightsaber-like weapon, and maybe we can talk dismemberment. Blood in Starmade makes no sense with no physical projectiles. I have nothing against blood or gore for the record, I'm a big Hellraiser fan and I unironically liked watching Genocyber and M.D. Geist. There's a time and place for everything.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i want ragdoll physics AFTER i can make a species of blue centaur deer people

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What on earth... Why do we need to explode...

Also. How is being vaporized any less violent. The atoms of my body are being reduced to ash. Why cant the vaporization also be a bit explosive?

Here is my main point. Something I will repeat because you seem to miss it every time I bring it up.

It does not suit the theme of starmade.

It's a sci fi voxel world with laser cannons and laser beams and laser pistols. None of those things blow people up in what are normal sci fi conventions. They burn, and they vaporize. Take star wars or star trek. Phasers and laser blasters never left blood on hit targets. They left burns. That, if anything, is what should be implemented. You can think it's fun all you want. But I would actually question schemas decision if he decided that unnecessary blood splatter was good for the game. I mean they don't even have that happen in AAA games like halo. Ragdoll death is fine. Lastly, the fact that I can turn it off means nothing. Because what you are suggesting is that we should view default starmade as a violence filled game where there is more blood than the halo franchise, which features assassination take downs and a plethora of weapons.
    It's a Sci-fi vowel world that doesn't make any sense anyways, so who are you to tell me what kind of damage star made weapons do? Also, +1 to assassination take downs. And who are you to tell me that blood doesn't fit what Star Made is? What if I want to be a crazed, violent pirate? I want to play the game how I want to play the game and blood just adds to it. I don't mind phaser burns, that would be nice. But they should still have the ability to make people explode. This goes for Viridis, to. Who is to say that we aren't shooting lightsabers from our pistol? Maybe they can blow something apart. They already blow rocks apart. And it can be a horror game. I mean, not just for the purpose of horror, but imagine walking on a ship that was blown apart and blood fills the corridors. The lights flicker on and off, and a head gently floats towards you. That would greatly enhance the gaming experience.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It's a Sci-fi vowel world that doesn't make any sense anyways, so who are you to tell me what kind of damage star made weapons do?
    So first you don't need justification for things you find fun, then you say fun is the justification, now things "don't make sense anyway" so to hell with something making sense despite energy weapons not working that way in the first place? Jesus make up your mind.

Who is to say that we aren't shooting lightsabers from our pistol?
    Now I'm sure I'm dealing with bait. And no, needless blood and dismemberment doesn't enhance the experience, it would feel completely out of place in the game. Just like it did when a modder added blood for Jedi Outcast/Academy in the early 2000s. It was out of place then and there and it would be out of place here and now. Shoehorning in elements that complement horror pieces in a non-horror piece to emulate a the stereotypical horror piece like your example doesn't enhance anything. It just feels half-assed, insincere, and tryhard. Or if we go by the modern internet definition "so edgy I just cut myself on all that edge".

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Except you don't get to make the game decisions either. That is up to schema and the devs. They listen well to the player-base and from what I am seeing there are more people here saying that this is a ridiculous notion more than those that favor it. Someone stated this above. Go play deadspace. I agree. That is a game where you can EXPECT that sort of atmosphere. I have never thought of starmade as a game where I would encounter the sight that you described. It suits those games better because frankly, low res blood splatter on a wall doesn't frighten me, or add any sense of tension to any situation that I will ever encounter in starmade.

Up until this point there hasn't even been a major interest in astronaut exploration/combat because we:

had 1 weapon to use

and never encountered npc's

Had blood, gore, or violence been the core of the game, these features would have been in a lot sooner and developed further than the current state they are in. I CAN state that I know what starmade is about because after over a year of playing the game this is the first time I have ever had to question whether graphic imagery was necessary for the death sequence. This is because I knew that they would have been made more apparent than they were now if it ever was to be a focus of astronaut mode.

In terms of physics, anything that cannot accept and disperse energy that is put into it can explode. Phasers could blow up rocks. Not because of kinetic energy, but because of thermal energy. Any weapon can blow up anything if its projectile can put in more energy than the target can take. But seriously... they are lasers. Every member of this community knows what a laser is, knows that they are in the game and knows what lasers do to flesh or for that matter, anything a laser touches. Scorch marks on metal. Burns wood. Cauterizes flesh. How is this even questionable?

The game was never intended to be used for making race tracks on planets. Players found a way without the use of actual wheels, and with a little imagination, they are able to enjoy themselves on a racetrack. They didn't need all these new features to satisfy their desired gameplay.

The entire scenario you described is straight out of deadspace. That's great. It would be cool. Frankly I don't care to experience that yet. If I have to then I will install a mod for it. But there are better things that the devs can focus on than your aspiration as to what astronaut mode "needs" or what makes gameplay fun for players. Honestly if it is so important then how did we get this far into development without it?

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Now I'm sure I'm dealing with bait. And no, needless blood and dismemberment doesn't enhance the experience, it would feel completely out of place in the game. Just like it did when a modder added blood for Jedi Outcast/Academy in the early 2000s. It was out of place then and there and it would be out of place here and now. Shoehorning in elements that complement horror pieces in a non-horror piece to emulate a the stereotypical horror piece like your example doesn't enhance anything. It just feels half-assed, insincere, and tryhard. Or if we go by the modern internet definition "so edgy I just cut myself on all that edge".

Mmm, that reminds me: it'd be cool if we could have melee weapons that worked like they do in those two Star Wars games where our swings are based on slight movements. It'd be one of those things that'd really add depth to the non-ship portion of StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1. Make it so when you are hit by a missile of above 500 damage, your limbs fly everywhere spouting blood
    2. Make it so your body remains after death, lying there, bleeding
    3. Make it so when you are hit by a missile of above 1500 damage, you atomize leaving a orangeish stain around you.
    4. Lasers make red patches where they hit, size depends on damage.
    5. Lava makes your feet go on fire
    6. All this also happens when you die in a core - your body flings out and stuff.
    7. Ragdoll physics
    8. When you die, your vision fades to black (How quickly depends on the amount of damage dealt on the final blow. If you are blown apart, the camera zooms how to show how hilariously you died.
    9. Blood and gore is edited in the game options, for all the little kiddos.
    10. Instead of boring despawns, make overheated ships explode like a death star when they despawn.
    11. Make it so you can be electrocuted to death
    yes yes YES!!!! I played minecraft with a gore mod, and it made killing things SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more satisfying, so it'll have the same effect here to![DOUBLEPOST=1416005598,1416005555][/DOUBLEPOST]
    ("Anonymous") Artist's Rendition of what such a violent death might look like:View attachment 5988 [DOUBLEPOST=1415867362,1415867191][/DOUBLEPOST]View attachment 5989
    Look me in the sunglasses and tell me this is not what you want for Starmade.
    HECK YEAH - I want that!

Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    -_- I don't understand how one can not want BLOOD and SPLATTER and EXPLOSIONS!