Make beams become fatter the bigger they are

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Probably been suggested before, but I would like to drop this in:
    starmade-screenshot-0068.png
    These beams are REDONCULOUS!
    The thickness of the beams should be bigger the higher damage the burst is on the beam.
    NEEDS TO BE FATTER :D

Also this:

Last edited:
    Reactions: BDLS
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Probably been suggested before, but I would like to drop this in:
    View attachment 14938
    These beams are REDONCULOUS!
    The thickness of the beams should be bigger the higher damage the burst is on the beam.
    NEEDS TO BE FATTER :D
    it's like a bodybuilder with a baby face.

also it m8 reduce lag in some scenarios with many beams on 1 spot, if the builder is willing to put them all together.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Suggested a million times, and supported by me a million times. Still the #1 aesthetic addition I'd like for this game after all these years.

Cannon rounds should get bigger as well.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Suggested a million times, and supported by me a million times. Still the #1 aesthetic addition I'd like for this game after all these years.

Cannon rounds should get bigger as well.
    yup would be awesome if he cannons scaled infinitely

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    While the idea sounds good at first, lasers actually become more powerful by focusing them. large beams are inefficient and weak. Not that reality should interfere.

Reactions: MeepMoop

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    While the idea sounds good at first, lasers actually become more powerful by focusing them. large beams are inefficient and weak. Not that reality should interfere.
    Well, that depends. If you have a big enough laser, then focusing it too much could cause it to just cut right through a target, with most of its energy wasted. But if you gave it a bit more spread, it could destroy a larger area. Of course, what we have in starmade are whatever people want them to be, so you could say that the one on your ship is a laser, but mine might be a particle accelerator, and someone elses might be a plasma beam. So they may or may not get bigger with more power.

I personally most definitely want them to get bigger. It looks silly when you have something like the death star shooting a little laser pointer. They also need to actually be colorable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I really meant it when I said reality shouldn't interfere. This is a game based on science fiction, aesthetics can take a front if it'll be more fun. I was merely offering some reasoning if we are limited to small beams. It really makes no difference to me.

I believe you can color the beam by tying a light as a sub-system. Never actually tried it tho.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I believe you can color the beam by tying a light as a sub-system. Never actually tried it tho.
    The texture/animation/shader/whatever currently applied to beams makes the colors look very dim and unnoticeable for certain colors.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    +1

Been pushing for this for a while now. Can't stand having a weapon I call the Armageddonator that fires a laser pointer sized beam.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, I think everybody wants bigger effects for bigger arrays.

Beams, cannons, missiles, they all need to be BIGGER when the arrays they come from get bigger.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, this is the only way that the group power nerf can ever be truly 'balanced.'

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    How about this: The visual thickness of the beams is influenced by linked explosive effect modules which, if I recall correctly, give lasers AOE. They can remain a visual effect, no game mechanics have to change(for now), all the while allowing people to choose between a pinpoint or an AOE laser.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    How about this: The visual thickness of the beams is influenced by linked explosive effect modules which, if I recall correctly, give lasers AOE. They can remain a visual effect, no game mechanics have to change(for now), all the while allowing people to choose between a pinpoint or an AOE laser.
    That doesn't really allow for big lasers. Those lasers would be 3 blocks wide at most.