low res tex pack

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My point of doing this was to have something smaller in memory than the 64x64 textures :/ Scaling a 32x up... would just be silly.

I'm a guy that formerly worked on making [if I may brag] amazing textures for ships in a maximum "sheet size" of 128x128 for Homeworld original. That sheet/file would skin an entire ship. Sometimes I needed less. I know technology and memory have dramatically changed since then, but... what I and many other gamers attracted to games like StarMade are looking for is a rather low-fi experience with great community and gameplay.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    My point of doing this was to have something smaller in memory than the 64x64 textures :/ Scaling a 32x up... would just be silly.

I'm a guy that formerly worked on making [if I may brag] amazing textures for ships in a maximum "sheet size" of 128x128 for Homeworld original. That sheet/file would skin an entire ship. Sometimes I needed less. I know technology and memory have dramatically changed since then, but... what I and many other gamers attracted to games like StarMade are looking for is a rather low-fi experience with great community and gameplay.
    Yaaaay Homeworld! I love that game!

But on a more related note, low-res textures are indeed beneficial for performance and aren't necessarily due to the desire of a pixel aesthetic. I'd be good if StarMade could support smaller textures for those who want/need them. (Though admittedly, if you need even smaller textures, it's probable your computer can't run the game at a playable state anyway. I doubt smaller textures would squeeze out enough of a performance increase on a voxel game of this scale to compensate for weaker hardware. Games like Homeworld use models rather than voxels, which is an entirely different issue with drastically different performance issues, where texture resolution has a much greater impact on performance.)

EDIT: By the way, if you prove me dead wrong about the effect on performance of smaller textures in StarMade, you get a cookie. I may have experience in game development, but that doesn't mean I'm always right.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nay, matey, I won't be able to prove you wrong. I might get 1 fps out of it, I understand. My computer/laptop runs the game fine, so far. I'm just trying to tweak and squeeze all I can get, you know.

Glad to know of another HW fan :)

Reaction score
    Nay, matey, I won't be able to prove you wrong. I might get 1 fps out of it, I understand. My computer/laptop runs the game fine, so far. I'm just trying to tweak and squeeze all I can get, you know.

Glad to know of another HW fan :)
    I've been replaying Homeworld 2 lately, actually. Always nice to be able to turn up the graphics to absolute maximum and have a perfect framerate... I love playing older games for that reason.

I've been quite tempted to try modding it, but there don't seem to be simple and effective enough tools to develop a smooth workflow and I don't have the time to fiddle with awkward tools. (I greatly respect those who made the tools, they just don't meet my needs for efficiency.) The primary tools are for Maya as well, while I use 3DS Max. Quite unusual to see a game use Maya for its modeling.