low res tex pack

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've made a low-res 32x32 texture pack, based on the OldStyle textures. That part was easy. Now I can't get the launcher to recognize the textures to load them like the others. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What is the exact path it's under? It will need to be under the texture pack name and resolution.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Right, so the path is as it should be: d:\games\StarMade\data\textures\block\OldStyle\32

launcher wont' offer the choice. Last time i altered the config file, the game crashed and wouldn't reload until after a re-install.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Alright, I tried loading up the textures and I see the launcher won't even let you select it. My best guess would be the game is not coded to recognize 32x32 as a compatible resolution. I do remember this thread from the old site though

Kupu said:
    I think if you plan on making an even lower res pack, bare in mind the amount of colours shown. I think preformance at such low res will be effected by number of colours rendered more so than 32pixel vs 16 pixel tiles. But i'm not 100% sure on that.
    What's your system specs like? I have a pretty awful system myself and I was able to get the largest performance boost from lowering the Max segments. I've even got my computer running "Best" shadows comfortably now thanks to that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    i tested it i don't like it you don't have put any work on it

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i tested it i don't like it you don't have put any work on it
    He's not claiming he did a lot of work on it, he just wanted a lower resolution pack for performance reasons. Also, how did you get it to load in game? That's the purpose of this thread not if anybody likes the textures.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    He's not claiming he did a lot of work on it, he just wanted a lower resolution pack for performance reasons. Also, how did you get it to load in game? That's the purpose of this thread not if anybody likes the textures.
    i didn't i looked the textures but not tryed to put it ingame

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well that kinda sucks. a 32x32 texture can still provide a lot of detail, especially in a lower-fi game like this. Anyway to reduce memory and processor load for older and lower end systems helps a lot of potential customers.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Lowering the displayed segments is the best way I know to give you a boost in performance. 1000 segments is quite a lot still and even 750 will go pretty far. Turning of shadows will also give you a huge boost in performance.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    I've made a low-res 32x32 texture pack, based on the OldStyle textures. That part was easy. Now I can't get the launcher to recognize the textures to load them like the others. Any suggestions?
    Fake the 32 Pixels with 64, by simply scaling it up without interpolation.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think thats how the original pack was made :D
    *grumbles* Don't get me started on the original pack, that tragedy has 16x16, 32x32, 64x64 textures as well as some of them being a mish mash of different resolutions...

...but yes for the most part the original pack was a 32x32 texture sheet stretched out which is why I decided it needed updating. At least I got into the game after they ditched the very first textures.

Reaction score
    *grumbles* Don't get me started on the original pack, that tragedy has 16x16, 32x32, 64x64 textures as well as some of them being a mish mash of different resolutions...

...but yes for the most part the original pack was a 32x32 texture sheet stretched out which is why I decided it needed updating. At least I got into the game after they ditched the very first textures.
    Ssshhh. We don't talk about the "old" textures. *shudders*

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You mean the ones that make up the background of the old site?