Low memory?

WCG

Reaction score
    I've been running StarMade fine for nearly a week. Now, after heading off to explore a new planet, I'm getting this message:

Warning! You are running low on memory! Please increase the max AND in the StarMade Launcher.

I don't even know what that means (what's the "AND," and what should it be set to?), let alone how to do it. I looked at the launcher settings, but... no luck.

As I say, the game has been fine for me until now. But even closing StarMade and getting back into it makes no difference. It's not just the warning, which I get immediately now, but the game freezes briefly every couple of seconds.

Help, please?

Also, how in the heck to you search this forum? Frankly, it's the screwiest forum I've ever seen anyway, though it seems to work fine once you figure it out. This is probably the same way, I suppose, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thus, if this has been asked before, my apologies. Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    First if IF you are running 64 bit java , which you should if you have a 64 bit OS, you can delegate about half your computer ram to the memory settings -- found uder the options tab in the first screen upper left of Starmade. That's the one with the news on it. Verify your java thru javas site. 3 spots maximal -- thats where you put half your ram - mine is 16gb so i use 8192 mb. second is initial i have 2048 there and last is early generation -- i use 256 , Basically copied a mushroom you tubes info for that .

Reaction score
    • Tester
    I think the warning has some typo ... dont know what the meaning is.
    Looks like this:

sc1.jpg

And Forum search:

sc2.jpg

WCG

Reaction score
    OK, I went to the Java website. It was less than helpful. It verified that I'm running the latest version of Java, but said nothing about whether it was 32 bit or 64 bit.

I looked further, and the website told me how to find out if my Firefox browser is the 32-bit or 64-bit version. I tried both methods, which gave me lots of information about Firefox, but nothing about which version it was.

However, the Java website recommended the 32-bit, because it said that some websites wouldn't run right with the 64-bit version. Given that nothing I've found mentions 64-bit at all, I'm guessing that I'm using the 32-bit versions of Firefox and, thus, Java. Note that I do have the 64-bit version of Windows, but I don't think I want to change my browser and Java just to play this particular game.

So, can I still increase the maximum memory in StarMade? (Thanks for the instructions. I was looking at the options on the second 'launcher.') I, too, have 16 GB of memory. Can I still change the settings to 8192, 2048, and 256? Or should I go with less than that, with 32-bit Java? I see that SmilingDemon apparently uses 2048, 1024, and 128.

Re. the Search button, that doesn't show up on my screen, probably because I run the No-Script Firefox extension. I've allowed this website, and I've even tried to allow, temporarily, all of the other scripts here. But that Search button seems to be buried in script after script. At least, despite multiple permissions and subsequent page reloadings, it still doesn't show up for me. Oh, well.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If I don't hear otherwise, I'll just experiment with different memory settings, the next time I want to play StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    OK, I went to the Java website. It was less than helpful. It verified that I'm running the latest version of Java, but said nothing about whether it was 32 bit or 64 bit.

I looked further, and the website told me how to find out if my Firefox browser is the 32-bit or 64-bit version. I tried both methods, which gave me lots of information about Firefox, but nothing about which version it was.

However, the Java website recommended the 32-bit, because it said that some websites wouldn't run right with the 64-bit version. Given that nothing I've found mentions 64-bit at all, I'm guessing that I'm using the 32-bit versions of Firefox and, thus, Java. Note that I do have the 64-bit version of Windows, but I don't think I want to change my browser and Java just to play this particular game.

So, can I still increase the maximum memory in StarMade? (Thanks for the instructions. I was looking at the options on the second 'launcher.') I, too, have 16 GB of memory. Can I still change the settings to 8192, 2048, and 256? Or should I go with less than that, with 32-bit Java? I see that SmilingDemon apparently uses 2048, 1024, and 128.

Re. the Search button, that doesn't show up on my screen, probably because I run the No-Script Firefox extension. I've allowed this website, and I've even tried to allow, temporarily, all of the other scripts here. But that Search button seems to be buried in script after script. At least, despite multiple permissions and subsequent page reloadings, it still doesn't show up for me. Oh, well.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If I don't hear otherwise, I'll just experiment with different memory settings, the next time I want to play StarMade.
    32 bit java cannot handle more than 1024 Mb of memory. Thus it is recommended to use 64 bit java. Also, java (not to be mistaken with javascript) isn't used very often by websites, and this websites not working correctly can be ignored[most browsers automatically have java disabled anyways]

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Go here -> https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

and grab both 32 and 64 bit manual install files and install them. Starmade then uses the 64 bit version and your browser is still free to use the 32 bit one.
    but always make sure both are of the same version when an update comes around (they are shown as seperate installs in the windows programs overview )

WCG

Reaction score
    OK, this is funny - kind of. At least it shows you how little I know. I went 'round and 'round trying to figure out what version of Java I had on my computer, 32-bit or 64-bit, until I finally thought to look where the program was installed.

Sure enough, Java was installed under C:\Program Files, not C:\Program Files (x86), which apparently means that I've got the 64-bit Java installed, after all. So I bumped up the maximum memory in StarMade a bit, and... no problem. The game works fine for me now.

Thanks for the help, guys! Sorry to be so clueless. :p

Reaction score
    If people still having problem I threw some info in a video tutorial as I myself prefer that format of information.