Bug Login Failed/Critical Error

Reaction score
    Alright, so since I updated to the latest build of 15997 I've encountered some serious problems. Now to clear out the obvious solution posts, I did reinstall the game, restart the computer, updated java and looked up for hours on the forums and google for possible solutions to the problem with little to no help or relation to my problem.

My biggest problem is that the game is completely unable to be played without internet connection (Both singleplayer and server hosted on the same computer), it keeps saying the login name is protected, and I get a Critical Error saying I have been disconnected from the server with a EOFException along with it. Now normally this wouldn't be much of a issue for me when I am at home as I have internet there, and the game works just fine, but when I take my laptop anywhere without internet and want to play Starmade (Which I did all the time prior to updating without issues) I am left with these nagging errors preventing me from doing anything with Starmade. I tested this on my desktop as well and get the exact same results.

I couldn't find anyone talking about how to bypass this problem so I can play this when I'm not at home and without internet. So unless I completely missed a thread or some blatenly obvious news post like a idiot (Which is entirely possible), can someone please shine a light on this issue, I gots spaceships that be needing some building.:(

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    did you click the uplink button under your name at all? and/or do you have lines 12 and 13 in the server.cfg set to false?

USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = false //allow star-made.org authentication
    REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = false //require star-made.org authentication

Just throwing this out there to narrow it down. Also, as a test, if you did happen to press the up-link button at any time during your use of StarMade, try typing a different name in the name box.

Reaction score
    Yes I checked an both lines are set to False, and uplinking my name works fine and I can connect with it just fine, however I cannot do that without internet, and as soon as I and without connection even if I was just playing,uplinked and on the internet just moments earlier, I get the same problem. the only way I can go places and play offline is if I turn on my laptop, use the uplink, start the game and leave it running until I get to my destination and plug in to the wall before my battery dies (My laptop battery is only good for maybe an hour, it's not very good). not the greatest solution I would say. I don't know why since the update it became an issue, prior to the update it never even cared if you uplinked ever, now suddenly it's being a pain about needing it exclusively to do anything. :(

Reaction score
    There was a bug which made servers ignore uplink settings completely. It is fixed and behaving as intended again, obviously affecting you as well. I believe that there's nothing you can do to circumvent this.
    I'll pull @AndyP into this discussion. Maybe we can push schema into implementing a workaround which lets you unprotect player profiles, unless that's already possible.

Reaction score
    Ok, back from work n sleep n all that fun stuff, I tried my trick to keep the game running and plugged my laptop in once I got to work, sadly, the game crashed when I opened my laptop screen so I wasn't able to fiddle around at work sadly (Yes I played games at work, nice part of a overnight shift is I have about 8 hours of nothing to do.).

Sad to see theres nothing I can do about it currently, hopefully the next update fixes this issue.

Reaction score
    Are you playing on public releases or on dev builds? (This does matter due to upcoming changes in policies which are already partially active.)

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am having this same issue. I have everything set to false, and my protected.txt is empty.
    Haven't reinstalled or anything - because it's not an issue on my end :)

Reaction score
    Not entirely sure, I've always launched via Starmade - starter and used the update button from the launcher, wasn't really aware of other ways to update the game between public builds and still in testing dev builds. So I'm pretty certain I'm on a public build.

Also I noticed theres now a .1617 build, I updated to it, but it still has this problem.

Reaction score
    Alright, you're on the release version. That means that this is probably a bug that should be looked into.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Alright, you're on the release version. That means that this is probably a bug that should be looked into.
    And it's incredibly frustrating. i have a ten hour road trip on Friday.....I'd love to burn thrre or four of those building my Titan.......

Rasor1911

Abusing Stealth since the dawn of time
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I for one also have this issue

it looks like the settings are getting ignored and it still trys to authenticate the user, it's a pain in the neck on my side since my internet isn't the most stable thing at the moment

Reaction score
    You guys can try a workaround: Delete your uplink, change the username in the settings window and log in. You'll be logged in with a hopefully unprotected player profile.

Rasor1911

Abusing Stealth since the dawn of time
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ok, new problem, i need to uplink every time i want to play starmade, saved credentials are not working.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Do you have any names in the admins.txt file? You don't need to use this file for Sandbox mode to have you as the admin. You only need to define admins when the server is public or on a LAN. Admins need to authenticate I'm sure.

Reaction score
    Encountered same log in problem. I'm using the public release on a Mac Powerbook if that's of any help. The problem just cropped up today and had been working fine as of yesterday.

Reaction score
    same issue here, tried changing the server.cfg, tried actually logging in with verification set to on (both). (possibly the first time i've actually used my starmade account for the game itself), also seems to forget the uplink details immediately...
    tried adding myself to the admins file.
    honestly, i don't think we can fix it our end.

Reaction score
    You can expect a fix in the next public release.

As for the issue that renders you unable to play offline: That was my first thought, too. However, AndyP hinted that this might be intended, since there will be changes—for instance, you will be required to uplink to play on dev builds. However, schema pointed out that this is indeed unintended.

Reactions: Actrazor
    Reaction score
    Der_scheme always has the answer ;). Also, a little show of gratification since your always trying to help out on the forums without being paid to do it nor a developer, I would like to thank you sir, I always see your name floating around the forums doing what ya can to help out. Your a man who is passionate to see the game and it's community grow, so good job son. Now don't let it go to your head!:mad:.